Alternatives to Absynth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried the Absynth demo. There are many so great sounding presets, I don't know whether Alchemy or Synthmaster can do all this stuff?

My favorite presets are presets like "Big Snorer", "Chime Pad 1" - "Chime Pad 4" , Creaker, Frozen Ocean, Ice Bell, Lonely Ocean, Magnetic Ambi, Panning in April, Perfect Harmony, Quark Reflections, Snowflake, Sudden Thaw, Absolute, ...

I really love them (for ambient/dreampop/shoegaze/psychedelic stuff), but the problem is: There are many presets like Magnetic Ambi which make clicks sometimes. It's a known issue, often caused by the effect "Pipe" and Native Instruments doesn't make an update.
So are there alternatives?

I tried the Synthmaster demo and I also have a few Alchemy Player libraries(Planet Earth, Light Space,..) but they don't seem to get the Absynth sound?

I've always thought Crystal was Absynth-ish....

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/crystal_by_green_oak

If you really love Absynth, use Absynth

To me, Absynth has its own world of sound that is not possible to approximate with any other plugin... So I'd just continue using Absynth.

Alchemy is the most Absynth like synth that Ive heard. Very very similar. I to this day have not found another electric piano preset that is as beautiful as Absynth's "number 59" preset.
Who is "I"? What is "I"? This has yet to be explained.

EvilDragon wrote:To me, Absynth has its own world of sound that is not possible to approximate with any other plugin... So I'd just continue using Absynth.
Same here. Besides some others I got lots of the Tim Conrardy sounds for it (RIP Tim...) and those are just awesome.

This one for example:
http://www.camelaudio.com/StarscapeAbsynthSounds.php

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Like it or not, Absynth is one of a kind synth. It is a too complex beast to be able to have an Absynth doppelgänger. You might be able to achieve at some point similar sounds & pads with Alchemy for example, but Absynth is truly unique that's for sure.

I have to concur with most of the folks here. Absynth is a one of a kind and makes very good Absynth-y type sounds - airy, spacious, richly textured. But those textures don't always sit well in every mix. At their best they can be... indefinite.

I have yet to encounter those clicks you mention. I have heard some funky stuff happening when I abuse the Resonators and Aetherizer, but those can be quickly programmed out.

Synthmaster is a very synth-y synth, a relatively straightforward analog-type synth with a number of different synthesis engines and incredibly rich modulation routings. It's VERY definite. I'm just learning it.

Two different tools.

Do you own Reaktor? There are a number of different ensembles available which would work great in the type of music you're making - Grainstates, Subharmonic, SpaceDrone. The user library is filled with ensembles you might like. And of course, should you choose, you can build your own.

I have just downloaded the izotope Iris trial and read their beginner tutorial. The sound quality is really nice, but it's too expensive with all the sound libraries and it also seems to have clicks sometimes. And there aren't many effects, just chorus, distortion, delay and reverb and Izotope Iris isn't multimbral (for Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3 and the SUB), right? Why haven't they done this? Then you could use your own delay for Sample 1, etc..

Melodyshine wrote: It's a known issue, often caused by the effect "Pipe" and Native Instruments doesn't make an update.
That doesn't sound right to me. It sounds more like voice stealing because the polyphonic voice count is too low for the number of incoming notes. When a new note is needed the synth may click, as it steals a voice from the currently playing set, to cover the incoming note.

A pipe effect could drastically extend the release time for every note, making a voice stealing glitch much more probable. Increase the number of voices if you can.

pdxindy wrote:If you really love Absynth, use Absynth
Yes, Absynth is still being updated and stands up to some of the best.

I'm pro Absynth too, but in that realm I also like...

Iris
Alchemy
Poseidon
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Melodyshine wrote:I have just downloaded the izotope Iris trial and read their beginner tutorial. The sound quality is really nice, but it's too expensive with all the sound libraries and it also seems to have clicks sometimes. And there aren't many effects, just chorus, distortion, delay and reverb and Izotope Iris isn't multimbral (for Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3 and the SUB), right? Why haven't they done this? Then you could use your own delay for Sample 1, etc..
I love Absynth, and yes, there's nothing like it.

I bought Iris on sale for $149 and it's probably one of my wisest purchases, even considering it's shortcomings (multitimbral, etc).

Check out Simon Stockhausen's [url]http://www.patchpool.de, he has both Absynth and Iris patches. ... gives me.

HanafiH wrote:
Melodyshine wrote: It's a known issue, often caused by the effect "Pipe" and Native Instruments doesn't make an update.
That doesn't sound right to me. It sounds more like voice stealing because the polyphonic voice count is too low for the number of incoming notes. When a new note is needed the synth may click, as it steals a voice from the currently playing set, to cover the incoming note.

A pipe effect could drastically extend the release time for every note, making a voice stealing glitch much more probable. Increase the number of voices if you can.
I have increased the polyphony but it doesn't change anything with the preset magnetic ambi.
It's a known issue: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=104599
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=165341

By the way does the full version of Absynth have automation? Because the demo version doesn't have it apparently.

Return to “Instruments”