Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6259 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Mon May 06, 2019 9:07 am

AnX wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:43 am
so what's the "amazing news"?
There's an iOS version of OBX-D coming I guess? :shrug:

It's also called V2 but no idea what that means for the rest of us.

Halonmusic
KVRAF
2073 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: Obxd synthesizer

Post Mon May 06, 2019 10:22 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:07 am
AnX wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:43 am
so what's the "amazing news"?
There's an iOS version of OBX-D coming I guess? :shrug:

It's also called V2 but no idea what that means for the rest of us.
Why always for IOS ? What about us Android users?
Don't be a Sheep. :borg:

chk071
KVRAF
19847 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon May 06, 2019 10:31 am

Seems obvious that there are a lot more audio software users on iOS.

Halonmusic
KVRAF

Post Mon May 06, 2019 12:15 pm

Yeah true that.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Mon May 06, 2019 12:18 pm

It's unfortunate, but, that's the way it is... would kill for soft synths which cost in the 20 € range. :D Buying a iPad or iPhone is no option for me though.

Halonmusic
KVRAF

Post Mon May 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Indeed. :D

Stringzy
KVRist
62 posts since 3 May, 2019

Post Wed May 08, 2019 2:29 am

c'mon spill some beans...

Stringzy
KVRist

Post Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 am

meh..

swatwork
KVRist
317 posts since 12 Jul, 2006

Post Tue May 14, 2019 12:18 pm

Stringzy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:15 am
Cooled down reaction : "OBXD won't be free anymore?"
Yes, it's going to be part of the "discoDSP Cloud" and you'll have to pay €29 a year to download it.

Mutant
KVRAF
3411 posts since 9 Oct, 2004 from Poland

Post Tue May 14, 2019 12:24 pm

OBXD will be free forever.
Just the discoDSP version will not be.
It is simple.
If you need updates, someone will have to work on it.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Stringzy
KVRist

Post Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm

By that logic, not all updates are paid either. Many come free.

Not that I mind OBXD V2 to be a paid product. As long as it provides me with anything over OP-X Pro II, I'm buying.

I already know I'm getting Aly James Lab OB-Xtreme 2.0 as soon as it's out.

AnX
KVRAF
4367 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 pm

if its open source, it has to remain free, doesn't it?

planetearth
KVRAF
1517 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Tue May 14, 2019 1:32 pm

AnX wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 pm
if its open source, it has to remain free, doesn't it?
The fork that GPL license the software is under, DiscoDSP is allowed to keep the stuff they add "private", and commercialize it. But what was available before they made their own fork (by modifying an existing one, or whatever they did) will still be available for free. Unfortunately, using it will be like stepping back in time for a couple of years, since none of DiscoDSP's updates or enhancements will be in that version.

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife.

aciddose
KVRAF
12202 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Tue May 14, 2019 2:01 pm

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licens ... .0.en.html

You might not be a lawyer or have the reading comprehension or patience, so I'll explain the GPL v2 license so you can clearly understand:
  • The license applies to the whole work including any material distributed derived from the GPL licensed works. Therefore if the source-code was GPL licensed it means any source-code containing any part or any level of derivation from the original work must also be provided under GPL v2 or later license. Likewise for all the related material such as GUI bitmaps and so on.
  • Any distribution of material under the GPL must be provided along with the same or later version of the GPL license.
  • Any derived material: 1) must contain notices/descriptions of any modifications and the date(s) the modifications were made. 2) must be licensed at no charge to all third parties (those you distribute to) under the same license as the source material. (This means charging a "license fee" is not allowed, ever!)
  • It is allowed to charge a fee for the copy/transfer/distribution itself (cost of disk, bandwidth or similar, not the license) and it is allowed to sell a warranty (only independently, not as part of an obligation to acquire the license.)
  • Any program that runs with a UI (text or graphics) where it is possible must display information for the user to inform them about the license, warranty (or lack thereof) and their rights to freely redistribute the work.
  • These rules apply to the modified work as a whole. If sections of the work are not derived (original) and can be made entirely separate from the source work, then the original license does not apply to those independent parts only when they are distributed as independent, separate works.
I could go on but these are the core important bits. tl;dr = It absolutely must remain free, even a "v2" must be free because it is inherently derived from the original work. Otherwise it would not be "v2" at all and it would be a completely different thing altogether.

Anyone can re-distribute the work so even if you were charged a fee for your copy, you can send it to all your friends or upload it anywhere along with the source-code (or information to acquire the source) and a copy of the license (as according to the terms of the license.)

So don't bother speculating about "non-free" versions. The whole point of the GPL is to make that impossible.
Last edited by aciddose on Tue May 14, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Tue May 14, 2019 2:05 pm

aciddose wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:01 pm
You might not be a lawyer or have the reading comprehension or patience, so I'll explain the GPL v2 license so you can clearly understand
Lol... you're really the absolute chartbuster around here. :P

I guess an appropiate answer to that would be: Shove it.

Return to “Instruments”