Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

fmr wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 am
discoDSP wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:49 am I'm considering using the iOS GUI for desktop build with the main advantage of being scalable and retina compatible.

What do you guys think about this?

A still screenshot, please. I can't see anything with the image constantly resizing.

EDIT: OK, I managed to create a still image. I don't like it. The layout isn't logical. The original followed the hardware layout, with the oscillators at the left, followed by the filter, and with the envelopes at the right. This one has the oscillators at the upper right, the filter at the bottom left... What's the logic of this layout? I can't see one. Everything is mixed, as if it was thrown there randomly.
It's the GUI from iOS being resized in a macOS window. Logic is very simple: signal flow comes from upper left to bottom right divided into up and down section to fit 4:3 screen ratio.

discoDSP wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:11 am
fmr wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 am
discoDSP wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:49 am I'm considering using the iOS GUI for desktop build with the main advantage of being scalable and retina compatible.

What do you guys think about this?

A still screenshot, please. I can't see anything with the image constantly resizing.

EDIT: OK, I managed to create a still image. I don't like it. The layout isn't logical. The original followed the hardware layout, with the oscillators at the left, followed by the filter, and with the envelopes at the right. This one has the oscillators at the upper right, the filter at the bottom left... What's the logic of this layout? I can't see one. Everything is mixed, as if it was thrown there randomly.
It's the GUI from iOS being resized in a macOS window. Logic is very simple: signal flow comes from upper left to bottom right divided into up and down section to fit 4:3 screen ratio.
So, why are modulators right after the first section, even before the oscillators? A good signal path is like the original had, with the audio modules in the upper part, followed by the envelopes (which include the VCA - an audio module), and with the modulators in the lower part. Basically all synth I know have the filter section right after the oscillator section, and the modulators in a separate section. That's much more logic to me. :?

BTW - Those knobs are "moogish". They look way out of hand in an Oberheim inspired synth.

And why is a 4:3 screen ratio desirable? Almost all displays nowadays are 16:9 in proportion - there are no 4:3 displays. Forget the iOS - this is a desktop application.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 am So, why are modulators right after the first section, even before the oscillators? A good signal path is like the original had, with the audio modules in the upper part, followed by the envelopes (which include the VCA - an audio module), and with the modulators in the lower part. Basically all synth I know have the filter section right after the oscillator section, and the modulators in a separate section. That's much more logic to me. :?
Check OB-X layout again ;)
BTW - Those knobs are "moogish". They look way out of hand in an Oberheim inspired synth.
Agreed, however values are much easier to see and Moog knobs have better qualities :) Anyway, skins are also planned but after preset management for both iOS and desktop to be enhanced. Current one in desktop is not, let's say, the best you can find nowadays.
And why is a 4:3 screen ratio desirable? Almost all displays nowadays are 16:9 in proportion - there are no 4:3 displays. Forget the iOS - this is a desktop application.
In reality it's a 4:3-ish UI. It fits much better and control sizes are perfect for bigger scaled windows (check screenshot above for a 16:9 screen). IMO I think iOS has better design than the original and current GUIs but some feedback like yours is always appreciated.

discoDSP wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:56 am
fmr wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 am So, why are modulators right after the first section, even before the oscillators? A good signal path is like the original had, with the audio modules in the upper part, followed by the envelopes (which include the VCA - an audio module), and with the modulators in the lower part. Basically all synth I know have the filter section right after the oscillator section, and the modulators in a separate section. That's much more logic to me. :?
Check OB-X layout again ;)
I did and you're right - the modulators are in the first section - there's Manual, Control and Modulation.

But oscillators, filters and envelopes are all in a row, clearly separated from that part, and with the programmer below. My point is: Oscillators, filters and envelopes are a GROUP, clearly separated from the rest - in your suggestion they are shown as separated.

And to be faithful to the OB-X layout, you cannot go to a 4:3 proportion display

OB-X.JPG

Preset management should be nr. 1 priority, IMO :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fernando (FMR)

That's why I have this as my default skin - feels a bit more 'logical'

discoDSP wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:56 am In reality it's a 4:3-ish UI. It fits much better and control sizes are perfect for bigger scaled windows (check screenshot above for a 16:9 screen). IMO I think iOS has better design than the original and current GUIs but some feedback like yours is always appreciated.
Why do you have to implement a different screen ratio and layout configuration, to implement a resize-able GUI? It seems to me that the (resize-able) screen and how it's controls are configured on it are two completely separated issues.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

The original layout from the Oberheim hardware is by far the most logical and also the handiest on a desktop. The layout shown by mcbpete above is perfect and it is this one that I use when I (rarely, because I use now another OB-X emulation) use OB-Xd.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

mcbpete wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:16 am That's why I have this as my default skin - feels a bit more 'logical'

This is my favorite too!

And the preset management is handled OK by some hosts. Studio One does so very well by displaying all of the presets within the selected bank. There is a nice selection box at the top of the plugin window, as well as in the instrument track inspector.

However, I think some indication in the native plugin UI of the bank in use would be nice.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Thanks for the feedback guys. Be aware it is being considered, nothing written on stone :)

I just compiled the new 1.5.0 release. Links below don't contain the installers, so better don't try if you're not a bit literate :hihi:

Previous version has to be installed else the plugin won't find the OB-Xd folder with Skins and Banks.

https://www.discodsp.net/download/Obxd15Windows.zip
https://www.discodsp.net/download/Obxd15Mac.zip
https://www.discodsp.net/download/Obxd15Linux.zip

What's new:
- VST3.
- Standalone for macOS / Windows (code signed on the final release).
- Updated framework.
- Default GUI switched to discoDSP Blue.
- Fixed unsorted drop down menus.
- Compiled with latest tools (VS 2019, XCode 10, Ubuntu 10) so performance and stability should be better.

OB-Xd now has up to 32 voices thanks to Shane Dune (amazing coder and excellent professional) contribution. I will compile all platforms builds with this new feature tomorrow or if you need it now just compile it yourself from https://github.com/reales/OB-Xd ;)

:tu:

A new update. There is a preset browser now.

Thanks for this! Any chance we can get ASIO output on the standalone version?

(deleted)
Last edited by waltercruz on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”