Luxonix Purity reduced to $49.00!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Purity

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, how are you going to find out whether or not there is aliasing? There doesn't seem to be a demo version...

Regarding the sounds, there is a screenshot of the "synth" edit page, seems it is pretty complete, so even if some presets do not sound good, maybe one can tweak them into good ones :)

I don't really care if it is modern or not, I am mostly after real sounds like strings etc., but most romplers are just too big for me to download because of my internet access.

Just checked out the discontinued Ravity, it had a nice user interface. They should have built on that, looked much more solid than that flimsy Wavestation silver-blueish GUI.

For someone like you the Mixcraft DAW could be interesting, it comes with lots of samples as well, unfortunately they can't be used outside Mixcraft :P
There used to be a demo version, but I guess they took it down since this is supposed to be a new version of Purity (earlier pages said a 64 bit version was coming soon and I wonder if this is it?)

Unfortunately, on this speaker setup I'm using now, I probably couldn't hear the aliasing, but I may email Skycha again and see if I can get my forum info back so I can download Ravity (S) anyway.

I still need those strings to use with my Hyper Canvas. Dimension Pro's strings are really fiddly, and it's now a toss-up between Symphony Strings 2 from esoundz and Purity (which comes with a lot of other stuff that I'll find useful...)

Anyone have the new version yet? I've demo'd the 32 bit and really liked the preset combi's The individual sounds didn't stand out which is what you need when you do a lot of stacking / layering. I didn't like it more then M1 legacy for the included sounds.

For simple stacking... I don't use a daw to begin with I use Cantible so I can mix and match from different libraries (M1, Wavestation, Wusic, DimPro et all)
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

This milky-blue GUI drives me insane - I wouldn't buy any plugin with such a GUI...

Are the sounds really that great?

I'd rather prefer Wusikstation.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Are the sounds really that great?
No. :hihi:

I like the GUI a lot, myself, but the real draw of Purity for me is that it's easy and ready to use out of the box. I need to compose my work fast. Speed is my top priority, even over instrument quality, and anything that slows me down gets tossed to the side.

I also like Purity because its presets mostly revolve around writing K and J-pop styled electronic music.

The way the demos sound is pretty much how it sounds, and that's pretty much the kind of music it does best.

Purity's trade-off for me is that it may not have as much bass as, say, my Roland gear, but I also don't need to spend as much time processing it either.

Purity's sound quality: middle of the road, with a lot of character that will be polarizing - you either love it or you hate it.

The other draw for me is how flexible it is. It's a powerful synth, even if the sounds (as tapper mike pointed out) aren't that great on their own.

But for $40-$50 dollars, it can't be beat currently.

I would say that it is currently the best entry-level software rompler on the market (or even rompler, period, when you take into account its price).

I've decided I'm going to buy this in a few days. I've been eyeing it and going to the Luxonix website since it was released.

Like I said, though, it's something you either love or you hate. It's perfectly reasonable that people don't like it and say it sounds toy-like.
Last edited by HaganeSteel on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HaganeSteel wrote:
I also like Purity because its presets mostly revolve around writing K and J-pop styled electronic music.
Are you fro Korea? Would be funny as the developer of that synth is also from Korea :D South Korea, that is :roll:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
HaganeSteel wrote:
Are you fro Korea? Would be funny as the developer of that synth is also from Korea :D South Korea, that is :roll:
No, I'm from New Jersey. :P

I just grew up listening to this stuff.

I'm a big fan of Phantasy Star Online's and Ragnarok Online's soundtracks, and those I believe used a lot of Roland gear. I've been wanting to compose music like that for a while, but my Hyper Canvas doesn't give me the flexibility I need, and my XP-30 makes me want to ram my head against a wall in frustration. :shrug:

Other softsynths just don't work for me either - bad workflow, too much work for me to program them, programming them gets in the way of actually writing music, etc. I'm lazy. I like beginner gear.

I used to use Windows GM/GS to compose music and greatly enjoyed it. :nutter:

It's all about workflow for me. I feel things like GPO, my Hyper Canvas, etc. sort of play themselves, while other synths like Dimension Pro are good to add after a song's been completed (they feel stiff to me).

Purity is going to be good to use next to my Hyper Canvas, which will beef up its sometimes thin sound.

So I got Ravity back.

But I don't have my serial number from 5 years ago. :lol:

I would email them a third time, but - and I know this is silly - I don't want to bug them. :shrug:

I'll be buying Purity within the next week, though, so I'll be sure to give my feedback in this thread or on a review page here in KVR. It'll probably consist of a lot of raging fanboyism, though.

For those of you wondering why they discontinued Ravity, it's because of compatibility problems with current OSes. (Edit: This is what I've gathered from reading the forums, anyway!)

Luxonix seems to be a very small team of only about 3 people (+ 5 sound designers? Look at the end of the Purity manual). So it doesn't surprise me that they had to stop supporting it.

HaganeSteel wrote:But I don't have my serial number from 5 years ago. :lol:
Hey HaganeSteel, check your email. :)

skycha wrote:
HaganeSteel wrote:But I don't have my serial number from 5 years ago. :lol:
Hey HaganeSteel, check your email. :)
Thank you! :D :hug:

Edit!: Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god Iforgothowgoodthiswas. :hyper:

So I installed Ravity (it works!) and tested those strings - no aliasing that I can hear! They might be a little harsh, maybe, a really tiny bit harsh, but much less so than what I've been dealing with.

If these strings are harsh, I'm not really hearing it.

Oh my gosh.

Okay, to describe the Luxonix character, it's like old Korg + Emu Proteus 1/2/3.

I about died when I heard that string patch again. It's very similar to the Emu Section patch, but better. Way better.

This thing is really good (referring to Ravity here).

I can't wait to get Purity now. :hyper: :wheee:
Last edited by HaganeSteel on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Just bought. Was on my long form GAS list for quite some time. I'm a sucka for that cheezy old rompler sound... but there are some decent sounding electronic kits in there...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Purity is a steal at $49.......don't think of it so much as a Rompler but a 16 layer synth with built in Sequencer, Drum Machine, Per Layer Arp etc capable of making some very unique and complex sounds. 64 Bit version is in testing.
Now that Luxonix is creating sample libraries for Kontakt maybe the Purity Sample set will get some love as well...... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

You can view it either way: it does both really well.

Purity's a real jack of all trades, and that's what makes it stand out. It's now not only in direct competition with the M1 and the TTS-1, but also with other VA synths.

With Ravity/Purity, it's not so much about realism as it is about sample quality, and the sample quality is stellar here, with no real artifacts or problems in the sounds. Good sample quality makes these sounds very usable, and it's why I originally said it killed my XP-30.

I've been playing with Ravity a lot today.

I love that french horn. They tried to make it sound like the Emu Proteus 1/2, and they nailed it.

That's sort of the crux of the issue, and why I guess a lot of people don't like its sound. It tries to be a direct emulation of mostly the early Korg and Emu romplers, while improving the sound quality and adding synthesis features, and it succeeds a little too well, sometimes recreating warts and all.

Comparing even Ravity to the TTS-1 and M1, it actually holds up better than people might think. Pretty much everywhere the TTS-1 is weak - strings, pads, synth leads, synthesis features in general - Ravity/Purity excels at.

It's a lot harder for it to compete with the M1. I think the M1 is better overall, but only if you spend a lot of time tweaking it, and it's hard to say if that's realistic for other people. It certainly isn't for me.

I'd choose Ravity/Purity because its GUI is better and its architecture is a bit more modern. It has better strings and presets that suit me better, so I can be faster on it.

Good strings really make or break a synth for me.

I view Purity the same way I view Roland GS and the SC880 - expanded GM with a lot of synthesis features.

After I pick up Purity probably... Tuesday? I'll do a more in-depth review of it comparing it to my other gear.

Is this 32 bit only?

KevWestBeats wrote:Is this 32 bit only?
Teksonik wrote: 64 Bit version is in testing.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

HaganeSteel wrote:I've been playing with Ravity a lot today.
I don't have Ravity installed any more so I can't check these for sure but I think these are my User patches done quite some time ago:

Ravity Teksonik

Give it a try and let me know if the file still works in Ravity............. :)

EDIT: Ok I've reinstalled Ravity.....I'd forgotten how good it actually sounds. The file I uploaded does have some of my old Ravity patches but I seem to remember there were many more. I'll have to look on my older computer and see if I can find them.....and I think it would be fun to make some more. Stay tuned..... :)

EDIT2: :dog: I forgot my Ravity patches in .fxb format are still up on my crappy Freewebs site linked from the www below my user name above...(can't believe that site still works....haven't touched it in over half a decade..... :lol: )

Anyway I can't get the bank to load..........try it and see if you can get it to load there please..... :)
Last edited by Teksonik on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”