Luxonix Purity reduced to $49.00!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Purity

Have luxonix given any idea whether they plan to 64 bit their stuff? If so I will grab it at this bargain price and just wait.

TheoM wrote:Have luxonix given any idea whether they plan to 64 bit their stuff? If so I will grab it at this bargain price and just wait.
There won't be a 64bit version.

Their programmer left, and IIRC, Sky Cha told me they were looking for a new one, but prospects were not bright.

That's why they're releasing stuff for Kontakt now.

I remember about 200 years ago when Physical Modelling was being advertised as 'the' answer to everything. It's OK at some tasks but not really there, even now imho. Perhaps it never will be.

As for Purity, its low cpu makes it ideal for quickly trying out ideas. Later, you can replace that good sounding 2mb Purity Piano with your 430GB Production Voices Grand Piano Sample Library. :)

Think I'm exaggerating? Think again.

http://www.productionvoices.com/product ... n-grand-2/
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:I remember about 200 years ago when Physical Modelling was being advertised as 'the' answer to everything. It's OK at some tasks but not really there, even now imho. Perhaps it never will be.

As for Purity, its low cpu makes it ideal for quickly trying out ideas. Later, you can replace that good sounding 2mb Purity Piano with your 430GB Production Voices Grand Piano Sample Library. :)

Think I'm exaggerating? Think again.

http://www.productionvoices.com/product ... n-grand-2/
:dog:

That is my response to that.

It's stuff like this that makes me reconsider the idea of physical modeling.

HaganeSteel wrote:
TheoM wrote:Have luxonix given any idea whether they plan to 64 bit their stuff? If so I will grab it at this bargain price and just wait.

Their programmer left, and IIRC, Sky Cha told me they were looking for a new one, but prospects were not bright.

Thanks for the reply, pointless then for me, and I urge all mac users from snow leopard upwards to be very careful about buying anything luxonix. Simply make sure it works. I can't remember if there is a purity demo but the lfx freebie is fubared. After some time or even instantly, turning knobs for example can create horrid distortion artefacts, and crash issues as well. Just test test test.

HaganeSteel wrote:
tapper mike wrote:The more I play with sampled libraries which I used to love...The more I think physical modelling is the way to go.
Me too!

You are not the only one thinking that. :hihi:

It's about whatever's more usable to me, and nothing screams "unusable pile of crap" like jarring sample transitions, samples with attacks that are too slow, etc.

Of course, all of my problems would be solved if I just owned an SC88VL instead of the SC88 Pro wannabe that I currently use because the Hyper Canvas has bad strings, and that is a huge chink in its otherwise flawless armor. SC88VL has older, but better strings. :shrug:
Not having either I cannot say. I fell out of love with Roland stuff too many years ago and I just can't go back.

While i like the samples of the acoustical instruments, at least as a basis for my own sounds, I think many real synths are superior to the synth sound quality of Purity. With many sounds there is quite some aliasing or whatever that sound is, and when you hold the keys down, you can often hear a cyclical flattening of the sound, some phase issue I suppose.
There are also some operational issues, like renaming patches and seemingly simple tasks like that.
And the tiny fonts on the user interface suck.

I guess I will get Nexus after all :D

HaganeSteel wrote:

There is a 64 bit version but it's buggy here. There is not much chance for a fix until and if they get a new programmer. Don't tell people there won't ever be a 64 bit release. Luxonix should employ the services of one of the developers here and see if they can get a bug free release version. If they are willing there is a way.........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
HaganeSteel wrote:

There is a 64 bit version but it's buggy here. There is not much chance for a fix until and if they get a new programmer. Don't tell people there won't ever be a 64 bit release. Luxonix should employ the services of one of the developers here and see if they can get a bug free release version. If they are willing there is a way.........
Tek, Sky Cha himself told me they aren't releasing the 64bit version.

You can't say there's a 64bit version when there's one that's half complete and they have no plans to ever complete it.

If I told TheoM that, and he would've bought it, you know what would've happened? He would've wasted his money.

Seriously, man.

fluffy_little_something wrote:While i like the samples of the acoustical instruments, at least as a basis for my own sounds, I think many real synths are superior to the synth sound quality of Purity. With many sounds there is quite some aliasing or whatever that sound is, and when you hold the keys down, you can often hear a cyclical flattening of the sound, some phase issue I suppose.
There are also some operational issues, like renaming patches and seemingly simple tasks like that.
And the tiny fonts on the user interface suck.

I guess I will get Nexus after all :D
I tried to say something like this earlier and everyone jumped on my back. :nutter:

Some things are better, some things aren't. It's very hard for me to say what you said about the synth sounds, because even though I think it's true, Purity has a lot of presets that just nail it, and it's hard to justify spending time programming the same sounds with other synths for me. :hihi:

The thing Purity really does for me is give me access to obscure sounds I'm having trouble finding anywhere else, like synth bells, a good pipe organ, the pan flute, good overdrive guitars, some other stuff. Basically, GM sounds I need but aren't in my Hyper Canvas.

The M1 also has a good pipe organ (and so does Miroslav), but I'm currently using both side by side next to my Hyper Canvas.

It's fantastic auxiliary.

HaganeSteel wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
HaganeSteel wrote:

You can't say there's a 64bit version when there's one that's half complete and they have no plans to ever complete it.

If I told TheoM that, and he would've bought it, you know what would've happened? He would've wasted his money.

Seriously, man.
I thoroughly appreciate the information and the time and money it saved. Thank you.

Teksonik wrote:
At that price you think they could afford one? Or that an expensive programmer has more powerful magic fairy dust?

Purity is for a niche market. Apparently you don't fit into that niche. When working for a niche market the worst thing one can do is lose the base. It isn't going to create a larger market and those who would want what you propose would rather go to something that is designed for that market.

There are times I reach for it simply because of how it operates as a rompler and sound like a traditional rompler of years gone by. If you try to mess with the actual sounds and expand the amount of oscillators then you lose the character of the tones which makes them less stable and muddy when layering them.

HaganeSteel wrote:

Seriously, man.
Seriously man......I know you think Sky Cha is your best buddy but I've been working with them since Ravity.

There is a 64 bit version. I have it running on my system. The bug I found might be as simple as a few lines of code to fix. It's more than "half complete".......Trust me. Preset users might not ever even know the bug was there........

There is always the possibility that Purity will continue to be developed but no there is no 64 bit release version at this time.

I have some developers in mind that might possibly be interested in taking over the project. Don't give up yet..........

Do I recommend anyone buying Purity in hopes there will be a 64 bit release ? No but I don't want people to give up altogether on it's future.
Last edited by Teksonik on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

tapper mike wrote:At that price you think they could afford one? Or that an expensive programmer has more powerful magic fairy dust?
They're giving it away now. What would you pay for version 2 with expanded features ? Too bad there are no freeware developers around here releasing fantastic plugins for no compensation.......think it over for a minute.
tapper mike wrote:Purity is for a niche market. Apparently you don't fit into that niche.
What the hell are you talking about ? I love purity and have owned an NFR for years but then I don't sell it short by calling it a GM Rompler....it's so much more than that....if you know how to use it.....Who are you to say what "niche" Purity fits in ?
tapper mike wrote:There are times I reach for it simply because of how it operates as a rompler and sound like a traditional rompler of years gone by. If you try to mess with the actual sounds and expand the amount of oscillators then you lose the character of the tones which makes them less stable and muddy when layering them.
You should learn to use it properly.........

Ok I'm done......you guys realize you're doing more harm to Purity than anyone right ? :roll:

I'm speaking of the development of the instrument not my or anyone else approach to the intrument. Each instrument has only up to two osc

Look for yourself.

With that type of limitation you aren't going to get the full breath of the instrument. Unlike say...sfz format which uses multiple oscillators per instrument so the character of the sound comes through depending on the amount of velocity applied.

The M1 and several romplers (Roland D50) of the day used this method as it reduced memory space which was very very expensive back then/ What you got was a very compressed signal which people would often stack with different instruments to thicken the sound. Later they developed things like wavesequencing ala wavestation but the basic and I mean very basic single or dual osc remained. If one had the full richness of oversampled instruments for both range and velocity then the additional "thickening" becomes redundant.

Return to “Instruments”