Luxonix Purity reduced to $49.00!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
33447 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:12 am

Teksonik wrote:
KevWestBeats wrote:Is this 32 bit only?
Teksonik wrote: 64 Bit version is in testing.
Re: 64bit version of Purity?

Postby LuxoMan » 02 May 2013, 02:35
Dear Hagrid,

We have no plan to update for 64bit yet. :(
Forum admin
Luxonix Inc.
http://www.luxonix.com
http://luxonix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6485
Hi-de-Hi!

KVRian

Topic Starter

626 posts since 25 Jun, 2013

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:35 am

Teksonik wrote:EDIT: Ok I've reinstalled Ravity.....I'd forgotten how good it actually sounds.
I know! :bang:

I have this memory of Ravity being very middling in its sound quality, but that was before I experienced the M1, Proteus 2000, Dimension Pro, etc., with all but the M1 having major problems for me.

Now that I have, Ravity sounds really good to my ears. I do like it more than my M1.

Yesterday, I was making music like crazy with Ravity (and I did that years ago when I first bought Ravity too), and that's really how I judge a synth. I can say the M1 sounds "better", but a good synth is the one you want to make music with, and a great synth is one that doesn't give you any problems during the music creation process.

If Luxonix releases another instrument in this same vain, they need to recreate the synth architecture of the JV2080.

That is, 4 layers, each with its own ADSR, filter, filter envelope, etc. that can all be linked together or controlled separately.

My Roland had problems, but it sure was powerful.

Actually, Ravity was more powerful, with 4 layers that functioned like that, and 2 waveforms per layer. Ravity just sounded so good that you rarely needed to use more than 2 layers. :hihi:

It really needs higher quality orchestral instruments that should be able to rival Roland's Orchestral I expansion (not hard to do now - I think Purity is almost there).

I say this because in order to keep being a jack of all trades, you have to sound as good as my Roland, because even Roland is considered kind of bad nowadays in light of things like Miroslav.

The sounds need to have more bass in general too.

A lot of romplers have SFX inside them, like my Roland has guitar fret noises and sounds that can be added to string sounds to emulate the noise of bowing, etc. The next synth needs that too, as those really help to make synths sound better and more realistic.

I heard their Toys in Wonderland soundset (there's a Youtube video of it) and I was amazed. I am so impressed by this company, and that's why I'm saying all this.

We've all been crying out for a software answer to the Rolands and Yamaha Motifs, and no one's been able to truly deliver. It comes down to usability more than sound quality (although sound quality is important and those synths are popular because they balance both), and if any company can do it, I think Luxonix can because they understand this better than anyone else.

As it stands, I think Purity has to be at least on par with the Korg Trinity, and judging from that GUI, that's what they were aiming for.

I have to apologize to KVR as a whole. I'm sorry for gushing. :hihi:

I can't download those sounds right now, Teksonik, but I'll try later today. :)

KVRAF
2874 posts since 22 Oct, 2002 from "somewhere between digital and analog"

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:08 am

Anyone using this for drums? I was wondering about the step sequencer and loading samples into it? 8)

Banned
12897 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:30 am

So, how big is the Purity download? :)

KVRist
228 posts since 16 Nov, 2012

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:26 am

DHR53 wrote:Anyone using this for drums? I was wondering about the step sequencer and loading samples into it? 8)
I was, they sound really nice, I layer them with my current samples as well! (FL11 piano roll though)

KVRist

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:26 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, how big is the Purity download? :)
I believe it's 53mb, then it extracts to 100mb with presets.

Banned

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:42 am

julioelgenio wrote:
Wow, more sounds than Nexus (1300 vs. 1100), yet just 53MB vs 7 GB :D How can that be? Is the sound quality so much worse?

KVRist

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:49 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:
julioelgenio wrote:
Wow, more sounds than Nexus (1300 vs. 1100), yet just 53MB vs 7 GB :D How can that be? Is the sound quality so much worse?
I use Nexus, and the sounds for that are just layers and layers of osc. Purity doesn't sound bad at all, every sound will fit in the mix, and you can enhance the sounds with the final mix, it's the external effects that will make it or break it. Purity is great for a lot of bread and butter instruments, and you could layer the sounds with your favorite pianos/synths for an even more unique approach.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:57 am

julioelgenio wrote:
Nah. The same reason my XP-30's base ROM is 8mb.

Yes, 8mb.

8mb!

Check out the Vintage Synth Explorer page on the JV2080:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/jv2080.php

Korg Trinity only had 24-32mb of ROM.

My Hyper Canvas is only 48mb. :nutter:

Don't need big samples to make good sounds.

What a lot of sample companies are missing is that sometimes it's ideal to use shorter samples and loop them.

There are a lot of techniques, from compressing, to looping, to sample mapping, etc.

The Emu Proteus 2000 "Section" patch is only 1mb big, uncompressed, and sounds fantastic.

Banned

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:54 am

Tough choice, M1 or Purity, or even Wavestation :) They all seem to cost the same and do similar things...

What does that Mix knob in the filter section of the Purity do? Continuously blend between LP and HP filter? The M1 only has a LP filter if I am not mistaken.

Judging from screenshots, I like the user interface of the M1 better.

Which of the three has the biggest user interface? My eyes are not the best anymore :P

Which of the three has the least intrusive copy protection?
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
5573 posts since 13 Jan, 2005 from the bottom of my heart

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:My eyes are not the best anymore :P
but they look really sweet fluffy.. :love:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Banned

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:02 am

murnau wrote:
:hug:
It's like with sugar, sweet at first glance, but they suck :hihi:

KVRAF
5573 posts since 13 Jan, 2005 from the bottom of my heart

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:15 am

murnau wrote:
It's like with sugar, sweet at first glance, but they suck :hihi:

hehe.. me is the opposite: so cold, deadly vampire eyes but i'm tired of this drab existence. :lol:
Last edited by murnau on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:15 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:Tough choice, M1 or Purity, or even Wavestation :) They all seem to cost the same and do similar things...
It is a tough choice. Now Korg has to step up their game.

C'mon, Korg, let's see what else you got. :tantrum:

Bring out something new because Luxonix seems to be hinting at a new product in the future, and if it's a higher powered version of Purity, and if Toys in Wonderland is a harbinger of things to come, it may just crush the KLC. :box:

Them's fightin' words, I know, but let's get us some competition! We can't let Korg monopolize the VST rompler market because then we'll be stuck with the M1 for the next 50 years. :nutter:

Let's see some more good musical instruments that focus on getting our music out and less on sounding realistic. :box:
What does that Mix knob in the filter section of the Purity do? Continuously blend between LP and HP filter? The M1 only has a LP filter if I am not mistaken.

I like the user interface of the M1 better.
That mix knob is weird, and you're pretty much right. IIRC, if you set that mix knob to the center, you basically get a bandpass filter.

Its GUI is going to be kind of polarizing too, I guess. That sparkly clean, hyper-refined look and sound of Purity isn't going to be for everybody.
Which of the three has the biggest user interface? My eyes are not the best anymore :P

Which of the three has the least intrusive copy protection?
Purity has the bigger UI, but not by much. I'm pretty sure if you click on the screenshots on the Purity website, that's the actual size of the VST.

M1's small UI is actually annoying to me, and I'm not just saying that. The M1 has a lot of tiny numbers and dials and grrr.

M1 and Purity both have completely awesome copy protection. Purity wins for me on the basis that it barely has any, but really, Korg's copy protection is easy enough to deal with, and korguser.net makes it very easy.

If you're really this much on the fence about Purity, you might be better served just getting the M1. It's more versatile, it's got more to it, and it might even sound better.

Banned

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:26 am

I am not on the fence about it, I just don't want to waste 50 bucks :)

Tiny numbers, eh? Thanks for telling me, I don't like those, either. I guess I will buy the Purity, I like some of those demo sounds a lot, like the digital piano, sounds ideal for Jazz/Fusion/RnB :)

Return to “Instruments”