Luxonix Purity reduced to $49.00!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
6341 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:33 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:I am not on the fence about it, I just don't want to waste 50 bucks :)

Tiny numbers, eh? Thanks for telling me, I don't like those, either. I guess I will buy the Purity, I like some of those demo sounds a lot, like the digital piano, sounds ideal for Jazz/Fusion/RnB :)
JAS: Depending on your tastes, you might want to check out the Wusik deal @ $99.00 to compare this too. Comes with their 'Eve' synth that has good stock sounds also.

KVRian

Topic Starter

626 posts since 25 Jun, 2013

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:34 am

Well, before you do that, just to make sure I'm right:

This is the M1's actual size. I took this screenshot just now.

The editor is both very easy to use, but also kind of awkward. If you hold down Shift, you can adjust knobs in increments of 1, which is really useful, and I'm not sure if Purity has this.

But messing with those envelopes and the LFO can be a slow process even with that because it's so tiny. (Edit: The M1 is also very sensitive, and for my needs, I usually only need a little bit of vibrato, and this means I have to set the LFO intensity to like, 8, and the frequency to somewhere in the area of 65-70.)

The key tracking is also a pain in the ass to use.

Purity's knobs are about the same size, but there is something about it that's just easier for me.

I think Purity is just laid out better.

Edit: One last thing! Purity I think only has 2 stereo outs!

M1 has 8.

That might kill it for a lot of people, sadly. :(

I'm used to my XP-30 having one, and my Hyper Canvas only having 4, so I'm not bothered by it.

KVRian
575 posts since 11 Jul, 2006 from Fayetteville, GA

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:49 am

Just to be clear, the GUI of M1 is the size if you open the pic and not the pic as shown here on the forums... right? (I don't have the M1.)

Don't mind me. I'm just here to read HageneSteel and fluffy's posts since I'm computer-wise and software-wise and internet-wise stuck in about 2005-7. :hihi:
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:49 am

MachFront wrote:Just to be clear, the GUI of M1 is the size if you open the pic and not the pic as shown here on the forums... right? (I don't have the M1.)

Don't mind me. I'm just here to read HageneSteel and fluffy's posts since I'm computer-wise and software-wise and internet-wise stuck in about 2005-7. :hihi:
Yes! Sorry. :hihi:

Have to open the pic in another window.

Foiled by KVR yet again. :tantrum:

KVRAF
6149 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:53 am

HaganeSteel wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Tough choice, M1 or Purity, or even Wavestation :) They all seem to cost the same and do similar things...
It is a tough choice. Now Korg has to step up their game.

Not really. Korg doesn't get bread nor butter from the software side of things.
They could make more money unveiling micro-banana.

What others need to do is revise ui's to be more Korg like. I really like DimPro but it could be so much better if they would make simplified adsr (etc) controls and develop a sfz writer rather then having to rely on notepad.

Banned
12897 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:53 am

It might make sense to specify GUI size in pixels as everything else is relative. I have a huge monitor, so I have KVR displayed at 175% :D

I will go for the Purity, one more reason is that I want to support small companies. Korg is huge enough already...

KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:54 am

MachFront wrote:Just to be clear, the GUI of M1 is the size if you open the pic and not the pic as shown here on the forums... right? (I don't have the M1.)
To avoid any confusion, on my screen (1366x768) it measures more or less 17 cm horisontally, and 9,6 cm vertically 8) :D

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:57 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:It might make sense to specify GUI size in pixels as everything else is relative. I have a huge monitor, so I have KVR displayed at 175% :D

I will go for the Purity, one more reason is that I want to support small companies. Korg is huge enough already...
:lol:

Sorry. I wasn't thinking about that.

793 x 455.

It's pretty damn small. :tantrum:

Purity is about the same width, but it has significantly more height, and I think this is why it's laid out better.

The actual edit window in the M1 is only about 490 x 280. :nutter:

It's too small. :x :-o :P

Banned

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Just checked some of my other synths, many of them are about 800 pixels wide, or even less. so the size should be ok :)

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:15 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:Just checked some of my other synths, many of them are about 800 pixels wide, or even less. so the size should be ok :)
Yeah, the M1's really not game breaking. Adjusting the key and velocity zones can be slow because I need to hold shift to adjust it. :nutter:

My issue with the M1 is that it has a lot of screen real estate that's being used by senseless things.

The Browser/Combi/Multi/etc. at the top is taking up a lot of space and doing virtually nothing.

A keyboard that doesn't need to be there, and a big KORG M1 logo at the top because I keep forgetting what synth I'm using. :shrug:

I'm just taking the piss now. Korg can afford it for all the money they make. :hihi:

In all seriousness, the M1 and Purity can complement each other very nicely, and for a hundred bucks, getting both is just unbeatable.

Banned

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:16 pm

BBFG# wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I am not on the fence about it, I just don't want to waste 50 bucks :)

Tiny numbers, eh? Thanks for telling me, I don't like those, either. I guess I will buy the Purity, I like some of those demo sounds a lot, like the digital piano, sounds ideal for Jazz/Fusion/RnB :)
JAS: Depending on your tastes, you might want to check out the Wusik deal @ $99.00 to compare this too. Comes with their 'Eve' synth that has good stock sounds also.
Downloading 7.5GB is not an option for me because of my limited Internet access :P

That is why I am interested in the Purity, it is so small and yet sounds good :)

Banned

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:28 pm

What I don't understand are things like that optional download protection for 24 months. I mean, that software is 7 years old. They must keep it on their servers, anyway...

Still, bought it :)

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:02 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:What I don't understand are things like that optional download protection for 24 months. I mean, that software is 7 years old. They must keep it on their servers, anyway...

Still, bought it :)
I dunno. I'm just going to burn the installer onto a disc.

My friend is playing with the Purity demo she had from before they took it down, and she's saying that its sequencer/arp is brilliant, and it's "like FL's step sequencer on steroids" and "...really overlooked."

She also said, "Purity sounds good - not spectacular - but what makes it sound spectacular is its sequencer."

I am incredibly excited for this.

Banned

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Yes, it must be great for women :D They usually don't like to program synths so much, too technical for most ;) I guess there are very few women on KVR as well. They are cleverer, they spend their time on what really matters.

I am also looking forward to receiving it, hopefully on Tuesday, wire transfers take a few days. I have wasted a lot of time on programming synth patches and neglected making music as such during the past year. If Purity sounds anything like those demo audio files on their site, it will already sound clearly more professional than what I have done so far using my various synth plugins. Not that my patches are bad, but it all sounds a bit inconsistent. I am not an audio engineer after all, but just a hobbyist :)

Banned
22470 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:08 pm

The moment a mac 64 comes out i am all over this in a flash. Very inspiring to use and so quick to construct stuff with.

Return to “Instruments”