Glitchmachines Polygon

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Polygon

simmo75 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:53 pm Any experts on here?
How do I tempo sync loops in Polygon 2, drum loops etc?
In the manual it says:
"Note that Polygon 2.0 does not offer a timestretch algorithm so the samples will speed
up and slow down as they deviate from their root pitch in either direction."

If you don't have keytrack turned on then the sample stays the same pitch. If you adjust the coarse/fine tune then the sample pitch changes but the sample also plays back faster for higher pitch and slower for lower pitch - so you can't change the pitch and speed independently. Keyfollow acts the same as adjusting the pitch and plays the sample faster/slower in the same way.

So I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is no. I've played around a little by attaching an LFO to the start time and stuff but can't really get more than glitches. If you're after timestretching you need to look elsewhere.

There is no synchronise to tempo option, only retrigger and play forward/backwards. Hope that helps/answers your question.

Ranoka wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:11 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:53 pm Any experts on here?
How do I tempo sync loops in Polygon 2, drum loops etc?
In the manual it says:
"Note that Polygon 2.0 does not offer a timestretch algorithm so the samples will speed
up and slow down as they deviate from their root pitch in either direction."

If you don't have keytrack turned on then the sample stays the same pitch. If you adjust the coarse/fine tune then the sample pitch changes but the sample also plays back faster for higher pitch and slower for lower pitch - so you can't change the pitch and speed independently. Keyfollow acts the same as adjusting the pitch and plays the sample faster/slower in the same way.

So I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is no. I've played around a little by attaching an LFO to the start time and stuff but can't really get more than glitches. If you're after timestretching you need to look elsewhere.

There is no synchronise to tempo option, only retrigger and play forward/backwards. Hope that helps/answers your question.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

you buy this for the granular algo. i think glitch machine is one of the better grain algorithms out there. i just wasn't able to make use of version one because of the gui. this looks to be everything version one should have been so i'll upgrade soon.

Dasheesh wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:25 am you buy this for the granular algo. i think glitch machine is one of the better grain algorithms out there. i just wasn't able to make use of version one because of the gui. this looks to be everything version one should have been so i'll upgrade soon.
Personally I'm really happy with the upgrade, I've had evenings of fun coming up with some crazy and wild sounds. The UI is clear, scales nicely and is very usable now - the drag and drop modulation helps keep the flow going.
The FM is a really nice for adding an extra texture - and everything comes to life when you hook up some controls to the sequencer :D

I had a play with the randomisation - you need to set the folder for each sampler before you can hear anything. The results when randomising everything a lot of the time aren't that usable, but I came up with some really interesting results maybe 5-10% of the time.

This isn't a typical granular synth - you can't have the play head glide back and forth with hundreds of particles to create that 'cloud' sound that you can do in synths like the Mangle/Quanta/Rapid etc. Since you can't have the playhead glide across the sample you can't use it for timestretching samples either.
The playhead is designed to be stationary, or jitter or jump around the sample to come up with completely new sounds from chopping the sample up. The types of samples greatly change the feel of the sounds - the categories that come with Polygon are 'Designed, Foley, Lofi, Noise, Synth and Tonal'. Sticking mostly to tonal tends to give more musical sounds, and mostly using designed/foley/noise tends to result in more weird and glitchy sounds.

There aren't many videos on Polygon yet, I might have a go at making on when I next get the chance.

as a glitchmachines "addict", the effects and palindrome, i didn't use polygon a lot, why? don't know. sometimes it is unclear, that a synth or effect that you like, you don't use much, although i use all i have, not at the same time, but when needed.

this new version seems to me a great step, bought it, as upgrade. perhaps now it will work for me.

and for the record; i make my own samples, and they sound if the are already mangled by a glitchmachine, perhaps that is the problem, or i didn't manage to work with polygon, with my own strange samples, a bit of a colliding, that i couldn't overcome, but this seems an update, that gives me more control over what i want to achieve. i think or hope.

EDIT: or i was simply to focused on palindrome. o well.

great update, instant buy, even if i bought version 1 for almost nothing. and didn't want to buy another synth, for a half year, have enough, this is an update... so new synth... but in a way. a new synth...

Ranoka wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 am This isn't a typical granular synth - you can't have the play head glide back and forth with hundreds of particles to create that 'cloud' sound that you can do in synths like the Mangle/Quanta/Rapid etc. Since you can't have the playhead glide across the sample you can't use it for timestretching samples either.
I spent about an hour last night trying to get it to do that. There are some tricks you can pull with the sample start but they are a bit unpredictable - I think it would be handy if they had an extra offset control that you could modulate in granular mode so you can have it scroll through the sample.

I found I was getting better results in that direction just doing quasi-granular by modulating the loop start and end in the regular sample mode (though obviously this won't do the big-cloud-of-particles thing).

i like the windows. i don't find a lot of granular with creative windows... also it reproduces really cleanly. but, it doesn't have every possible granular function, and it isn't typical.

Currently on sale for $29 at Pluginboutique. Anyone still using it after the honeymoon period?
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

I picked it up in the xmas sales for $10, used it once.

Return to “Instruments”