Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Harmor Iris 2

BBFG# wrote:I don't feel any of them really discount each other.
No doubt, but as I said, PSP is about 1/3 the price of Iris or Alchemy

But why would you compare Iris with Padshop Pro? Sure, you can either buy a lawnmower or go for a pair of chopsticks because they're cheaper.

Numanoid wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Iris uses spectral synthesis while padshop uses granular synthesis. Not exactly the same...
Both can mangle sound quite a bit, drag and drop your own samples, layer them, tinker with 'em, so even though method of synthesis is not the same, they got some similarties
Spectral synthesis (like i know it form e.g. Alchemy while Iris should be comparable) means you got the spectrum in y-axis and time in x-axis. Means you could draw the change of the spectrum over time. Actually in Alchemy and AFAIK also Iris you got a third axis which is the amplitude that is represented by the color of certain pixel in the spectral editor (e.g. black = 0, white = maximum).
If you import a sample by re-synthesis the spectrum stays same over time but you got certain drwaing elemensts (klike in a photo(picture editor) tio change this.
Actually you don't even need to import a sample. You could draw everything from scratch.

Personally i own alchemy where i had done this but i also checked the demo of Iris.

Overall this is very different fro granular syntheis like included with Padshop.

Of course it is possible to get comparable timbres with different synthesis methods but each has their own special ones.

Personally spectral synthesis is not really my favorite. I got other synths that have their own special sound which includes several wavetable syntheis synths and newer approaches like e.g. Rayblaster or Hamburg-Audio Nuklear (which uses a different knd of granular synthesis).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

it's a real pity that there's still no possibility to render WAVs out of the standalone iris directly. it's a PITA to have to use it as a plugin all the time and to have to take the workaround route of exporting from inside a host. :shrug:
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Numanoid wrote:
BBFG# wrote:I don't feel any of them really discount each other.
No doubt, but as I said, PSP is about 1/3 the price of Iris or Alchemy
I almost jumped on the PSP sale, but in the end, eLicense software become my main reason to pass on it.
I would venture to say that Iris can come close to what PSP does granularly, but PSP can't do what Iris does spectrally, or harmonically.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

Ingonator wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Iris uses spectral synthesis while padshop uses granular synthesis. Not exactly the same...
Both can mangle sound quite a bit, drag and drop your own samples, layer them, tinker with 'em, so even though method of synthesis is not the same, they got some similarties
Spectral synthesis (like i know it form e.g. Alchemy while Iris should be comparable) means you got the spectrum in y-axis and time in x-axis. Means you could draw the change of the spectrum over time. Actually in Alchemy and i think also Iris you got a third axis which is the amplitude that is represented by the color of certain pixel in the spectral editor.
If you import a sample by re-synthesis the spectrum stays same over time but you got certain drwaing elemensts (klike in a photo(picture editor) tio change this.
Actually you don't even need to import a sample. You could draw everything from scratch.

Personally i own alchemy where i had done this but i also checked the demo of Iris.

Overall this is very different fro granular syntheis like included with Padshop.

Of course it is possible to get comparable timbres with different synthesis methods but each has their own special ones.

Personally spectral synthesis is not really my favorite. I got other synths that have their own special sound which includes several wavetable syntheis synths and newer approaches like e.g. Rayblaster or Hamburg-Audio Nuklear (which uses a different knd of granular synthesis).

Ingo
Iris only applies a spectral mask to the imported sample whereas in Alchemy you can actually destructively edit the spectral content (but only in mono). Without a sample there is no sound in Iris, in Alchemy you can draw spectral content from scratch. But's spectral editor is actually not really usable, it takes ages for the graphics to update, there is only one undo and more. It's really time for Alchemy v2...

BBFG# wrote: I would venture to say that Iris can come close to what PSP does granularly, but PSP can't do what Iris does spectrally, or harmonically.
No, not at all, Iris only has a basic timestretch which preserves the original speed of the sample (and introduces tons of artifacts at larger transpoitions), PSP is a fully fledged granulator with up to 8 grainstreams and a plethora of granular mangling options.

chokehold wrote:it's a real pity that there's still no possibility to render WAVs out of the standalone iris directly. it's a PITA to have to use it as a plugin all the time and to have to take the workaround route of exporting from inside a host. :shrug:
Blue Cat hints they may be working on this as an add on to their Patchwork VST. Izotope tells me they are working on updates for Iris also
And IMO, Alchemy2 would benefit from adopting some of the Iris detailed editing.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

Sampleconstruct wrote:
BBFG# wrote: I would venture to say that Iris can come close to what PSP does granularly, but PSP can't do what Iris does spectrally, or harmonically.
No, not at all, Iris only has a basic timestretch which preserves the original speed of the sample (and introduces tons of artifacts at larger transpoitions), PSP is a fully fledged granulator with up to 8 grainstreams and a plethora of granular mangling options.
What Ingonator said though...
As I said, Iris can come CLOSE to PSP in granular. But PSP doesn't come close to Iris in spectral harmonics as far as I've heard.

BBFG# wrote:+1 :hug:
. This one is addictive, and I've entered the new plane of sampling myself via a Sony PCM field recorder and Izotope's RX3. And now wanting RX3 Advanced. The only thing is I still don't think I get enough time with it.
Yeah, RX3 would be very useful for field recorded samples. Advanced version is a lot of cash but an awesome program for certain. Want to demo it but am holding off in case I absolutely need to do some audio cleanup. Then I'll have to download the 10 day trial. Love this company's products though.

BBFG# wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
What Ingonator said though...
As I said, Iris can come CLOSE to PSP in granular. But PSP doesn't come close to Iris in spectral harmonics as far as I've heard.
But PSP has nothing to do with spectral resynthesis, nor does Iris have anything, a granulator has, so I don't really understand what you mean with “come close to PSP in granular“.

Sonically the end result can be similar I'd say, but obviously through different methods.

Monkberry wrote:Sonically the end result can be similar I'd say, but obviously through different methods.
Sure, if you load a sample into Iris which was produced with one or several granulators, the end result will also sound granulated, but that counts for any sample player and has nothing to do with the synthesis methods used to create a sound. If I spectralize a granulated sample in Iris, render the result and load that into Kontakt, I could claim that Kontakt can do what a granulator and a spectralizer does.

Sampleconstruct wrote: It's really time for Alchemy v2...
Oh man don't make me start on that! :P

So long that I almost forgot one day, we'll have it…

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Monkberry wrote:Sonically the end result can be similar I'd say, but obviously through different methods.
Sure, if you load a sample into Iris which was produced with one or several granulators, the end result will also sound granulated, but that counts for any sample player and has nothing to do with the synthesis methods used to create a sound. If I spectralize a granulated sample in Iris, render the result and load that into Kontakt, I could claim that Kontakt can do what a granulator and a spectralizer does.
Yes, if you load a granulated or spectralized sample in Kontakt it can play it back. My comment was in response to Ingonator. I should have copied the quote but I get distracted by shiny things. I don't know if he meant that Iris can by design get close to granulated synthesis or not I'll let him answer to that. My response was that a sample by nature may sound similar to granular synthesis and get closer (sonically) using the spectragram tools in Iris but they are obviously different methods. The point of this thread is how easy it is to use Iris. I also have Alchemy and am quite fond of that also. Carry on, I see more shiny things.

Return to “Instruments”