Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks for the update

fmr
KVRAF
8108 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Abstractor 1.0, Free Synthi

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:11 am

bchrisb wrote:Yes it is the same, here is the link too
Thanks. Downloaded. it. Will give it a try ASAP, and will report what I find. Regards :)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr
KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:55 am

There's definitely something weird going on with this synth. And is not hard to reproduce. Just play a basic traid repeatedly and you'll notice two things(I did, at least):

1. The sound changes EVERY time you play the chord, and sometimes only one note sound, sometimes, two, sometimes is the highest, other times is the lowest... a mess.

2. Sometimes, the envelopes trigger again on release (???). What's going on?

Sorry, but the current status makes this useless to me. I really think this synth has potential, but the synth engine has something broken (or my ears are broken, then). I thought it was the envelopes, but I think it's not that (or not "just" that).

Besides, in some patches, there's a flutter in the pitch in higher octaves. I presume this has something to do with FM/PM, but nevertheles, it shouldn't happen.

Hope you want and have the time to hunt and to try to fix these issues. Seems like many of them are related with limited polyphony.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

idfpower
KVRian
1481 posts since 13 Sep, 2012

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:06 am

True, there are still some issues with the synth (sadly the CPU hit remains my main beef - 2, max 3 instances drive FL Studio to max CPU overload; it may work just fine on newer machines, but on my old P4 it's just nuts), but at least it's usable enough to be able to use it in a project. Expect an audio demo in a few days ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP (2008).
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

fmr
KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:22 am

idfpower wrote:True, there are still some issues with the synth (sadly the CPU hit remains my main beef - 2, max 3 instances drive FL Studio to max CPU overload; it may work just fine on newer machines, but on my old P4 it's just nuts), but at least it's usable enough to be able to use it in a project. Expect an audio demo in a few days ;)
It's usable, as long as you don't play chords. If you treat it like a mono synth, it's usable, yes.
Fernando (FMR)

Tricky-Loops
KVRAF
9462 posts since 12 Mar, 2012 from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:32 am

fmr wrote:
idfpower wrote:True, there are still some issues with the synth (sadly the CPU hit remains my main beef - 2, max 3 instances drive FL Studio to max CPU overload; it may work just fine on newer machines, but on my old P4 it's just nuts), but at least it's usable enough to be able to use it in a project. Expect an audio demo in a few days ;)
It's usable, as long as you don't play chords. If you treat it like a mono synth, it's usable, yes.
Maybe the polyphony is the problem? Have you tested playing chords with only 1 voice?

idfpower
KVRian

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:43 am

fmr wrote:It's usable, as long as you don't play chords. If you treat it like a mono synth, it's usable, yes.
Guilty: this is my "trick" :) I use most of the synths I have primarely as monos - 'cause I know this way I can make them work - at least to some extent :) So you're right :)
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

fmr
KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Tricky-Loops wrote:Maybe the polyphony is the problem? Have you tested playing chords with only 1 voice?
I tried :lol: , but there was some "chord muting" :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Tricky-Loops
KVRAF
9462 posts since 12 Mar, 2012 from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:01 pm

fmr wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:Maybe the polyphony is the problem? Have you tested playing chords with only 1 voice?
I tried :lol: , but there was some "chord muting" :hihi:
Maybe it should be called "Chord Killer" instead of "Abstractor"... :lol:

But my impression is that with (many) Synthmaker synths playing chords is more difficult than with (most) Synthedit synths...there's always some strange phasing going on... :?

bchrisb
KVRist
69 posts since 1 Apr, 2008

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:42 am

Hey everybody,
i try to replicate the failure but i dont found anything suspicious.
Please consider that by all my synthis wth multistage envelope, the voice count change is not updated by playing a track in your host application.
Can you give me a correct example by which preset and midi file the failure is to hear?
I uploaded a MP3 file that shows a example with 1 till 8 voices. First you hear a other classic synthi and then my.

MP3 File

idfpower
KVRian

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Here's an audio demo for this synth (everything - except for drums - is "ABSTRACTOR" stock & raw: no preset tweaking, no external effects, no sound processing whatsoever):

https://soundcloud.com/telurica/abstractor-demo

BlackWinny
KVRAF
3500 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Sun May 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Hello !

I think that your problem to find a web server is definitively resolved!

Look here!
:D

(it's just a first edition of the page, I'll enhance it within the next days)

Each time you have a new release... just send me the file(s), and I'll upload the update to make the page always Ok.

If you're Ok tell me (and so I'll send you my email address by an mp).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny
KVRAF
3500 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Sun May 11, 2014 2:21 pm

A little improvement to do about the GUI:

When in VST mode, ok, it is easy to change the presets as usual with the DAW.

But in standalone mode, the place where are the visual controls to change the preset is very uneasy to find, lost among the knobs, very dark, and at a totally unusual place:

I suggest to replace that block by a thin header, an horizontal line of a few pixels with little buttons a bit in the spirit of tape-recorder at the top of the GUI. Another advantage is that it lightens that second line which is already loaded of knobs a bit squeezed.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sun May 11, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Dazed Veins
Banned
194 posts since 18 Apr, 2014 from the deserts of Sudan

Post Sun May 11, 2014 2:30 pm

@idfpower
Best tune I heard today! Popcorn at its best ;)

Diego_C
KVRist
475 posts since 30 Dec, 2011 from Europe

Post Sun May 11, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi
in the 1.4 version I'm not able to localize where to set up audio and midi devices :(
no sound at all coming out, is it me or something wrong with the .exe file?

Return to “Instruments”