Any suggestions for a Mac equivalent to Majken's Chimera?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Chimera

I'm happy for it to be a Reaktor ensemble, or similar. I have Reaktor's 'Steampipe' of course, but it's just not the same.

Since moving to Mac, this has been one of the little gems I've been sad to leave behind.
Anger is a sublimated desire for control.

Get a cheapo pc. You don't move to computers, you use them. :ud:

Til then Zebra has some nice noise settings you can add and modulate.
Cheers

Madrayken wrote:I'm happy for it to be a Reaktor ensemble, or similar. I have Reaktor's 'Steampipe' of course, but it's just not the same.
Could you offer a bit more description of what the replacment synth you are after on Mac needs to do?

The main thing with Chimera seems that it is "noise driven".

"Chimera is a noise-driven synth. All the sounds coming from Chimera are based on white noise filtered into notes using resonant bandpass filters. The result is organic sounds ranging from warm pads to atmospheres with elements of wind and water."

But if you are after synths that can do warm pads or atmospheres in general, there should be plenty of options for that on the Mac platform.

Different in synthesis... but Rayblaster is quite good for noise based sounds...

Also, Diva is excellent for noisy sounds

pdxindy wrote:Different in synthesis... but Rayblaster is quite good for noise based sounds...

+1 to Rayblaster for noisy an atmospheric sounds. It's also good at sync and crazy PWM type sounds with a funky edge.

Also, Zebra has enough modular capacity to be set up like Chimera, I'm sure of it. Plus, it has one of the most sophisticated noise modules I've ever seen in a synth. Well, two of them IIRC :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Different in synthesis... but Rayblaster is quite good for noise based sounds...

+1 to Rayblaster for noisy an atmospheric sounds. It's also good at sync and crazy PWM type sounds with a funky edge.

Also, Zebra has enough modular capacity to be set up like Chimera, I'm sure of it. Plus, it has one of the most sophisticated noise modules I've ever seen in a synth. Well, two of them IIRC :hihi:
Here is an audio example from ZebraHZ... 1 noise module is the only sound source - followed by 1 regular and 1 XMF filter and then the Resonator module and Delay in the FX section. Example is holding a single note.

http://draigathar.org/sounds/HZnoise2.mp3

It was specifically the smokey, airy, ghostly noise sounds that Chimera creates. I hadn't considered Zebra for this, so maybe I'll have a prod and poke and see what I can get it to do. Thanks.

FYI: The answer was 'Synthmaster 2'. The combination of noise, distortions and BP filters work perfectly to recreate the Chimera feel. I struggled to get anything 'unstable sine-ey' out of Zebra.

Return to “Instruments”