DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

recursive one wrote:U
Ultrabass is aimed at the very specific thing, machine gun style psytrance bass. This is where linear envelopes my actually work better than some analog modelled ones.
Interesting, didn't know that. I'd simply choose MSEGs here then in Dune 2 then, one click and there's your straight linear envelope :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote:
Ultrabass is aimed at the very specific thing, machine gun style psytrance bass. This is where linear envelopes my actually work better than some analog modelled ones.
Interesting, didn't know that. I'd simply choose MSEGs here then in Dune 2 then, one click and there's your straight linear envelope :)

Richard
Actually I'm now getting good results using Dune2 for psybass, I have a short linear spike in the Mseg which is assigned to the main volume in addition to the regular envelope - a sort of "punch" thing.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Richard_Synapse wrote:

Richard
It's a common knowledge to use sample for bass in psytrance to have a consistent, 100% steady bass sound.
Make bass, sample it, use sample. Unless someone is a beginner, nobody will use synth throughout the track for bass because it's an idiot-proof way to have 100% consistent bass sound.

Alright, I'm not going to start any trouble here but I need to know two questions.

1: are you going to keep the audio rate modulations?

2: are you going to make the GUI as big as the Legend GUI?

those are the only things I want TBH. Give it to me strait. I am planning on some work done with Dune 2 in hopes of upgrading and keeping it long term. I won't be mad if you are honest. These are the important questions.

AstroCastro wrote:
Richard_Synapse wrote:

Richard
It's a common knowledge to use sample for bass in psytrance to have a consistent, 100% steady bass sound.
Make bass, sample it, use sample. Unless someone is a beginner, nobody will use synth throughout the track for bass because it's an idiot-proof way to have 100% consistent bass sound.
But best solution for techno. Static bass is so last year.

AstroCastro wrote: It's a common knowledge to use sample for bass in psytrance to have a consistent, 100% steady bass sound.
Is it? Which factors would make a bass inconsistent in your opinion, except for the oscillator phase?

Igro wrote: But best solution for techno. Static bass is so last year.
We are talking about unwanted artifacts in sound and overcoming them, not about bass lines.

chk071 wrote: Is it? Which factors would make a bass inconsistent in your opinion, except for the oscillator phase?
You are looking at things from a wrong perspective. When you create kick in synth, snare or hihat you sample them. You don't use synth throughout track even if it gives you consistent sound, but you use sample instead. Why? Because it's an idiot-proof way to have consistent sound.
You do it reflexively without even thinking about it, you just know things should be done that way.
A typical bass line in psytrance is no different from kick in terms of consistency, but just because it's bass, you are tunnel visioning that you must use synth and not sample.

It's not even a synth issue, it's more about being practical and getting job done without overthinking.

AstroCastro wrote:It's a common knowledge to use sample for bass in psytrance to have a consistent, 100% steady bass sound.
Makes sense, but perhaps is the reason this genre feels a bit dull to me sometimes, i.e. I can enjoy a track or two but listening to a whole album in this style is too much for me personally.

Richard

AstroCastro wrote:
chk071 wrote: Is it? Which factors would make a bass inconsistent in your opinion, except for the oscillator phase?
You are looking at things from a wrong perspective. When you create kick in synth, snare or hihat you sample them. You don't use synth throughout track even if it gives you consistent sound, but you use sample instead. Why? Because it's an idiot-proof way to have consistent sound.
You didn't at all reply to my question. :) What exactly could make a bass inconsistent, except for the oscillator phase? If you can't answer that, you should refrain from repeating things you once read here or there. My question wasn't about convenience, it was about your statement that a bass is inconsistent, unless you sample it. Which, IMO, just isn't true, at least not in digital synths.

chk071 wrote:
AstroCastro wrote:
You didn't at all reply to my question. :) What exactly could make a bass inconsistent, except for the oscillator phase? If you can't answer that, you should refrain from repeating things you once read here or there. My question wasn't about convenience, it was about your statement that a bass is inconsistent, unless you sample it. Which, IMO, just isn't true, at least not in digital synths.
I also gotta wonder if the average listener can tell the difference between a sampled bass and a synth bass in a mix.

Most probably not, if the phase, and the envelopes are retriggered on every note, I don't really see what could make the sound inconsistent otherwise. Unless the oscillators drift, which is controllable on most soft synths, which have this feature. Also, if you think the sound will become inconsistent, WHEN do you sample? Do you sample the bass 10 times, and then pick the one you like the most?

chk071 wrote:
AstroCastro wrote:
Getting a proper psytrance bassline is still problematic for me, but I've learned that resampling the basslines now has mostly historical meaning. Typical psybass needs the phase of each note to be exctly the same - that's something old analog synths didn't have and therefore people had to sample one note and put it into a sampler. Now most digital synths have phase retrigger. If your track has tempo above 145 bpm (some psytrance may be 180 bpm or higher) resampling may make sense cause precise adjustment of the volume envelope may require editing the sample in an audio editor but this has nothing to do with any "inconsistency".
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

wagtunes wrote:I also gotta wonder if the average listener can tell the difference between a sampled bass and a synth bass in a mix.
Probably not consciously. But if you tell them what to listen for, or give them A/B comparisons, then rather yes (assuming the bass has two or more oscillators in free-run mode).

Richard

Machinegun bass generally doesn't have any freerunning oscillators since The Snap.

In Dune 2 (for those who don't know) it's achieved by setting mod source to const and mod dest to osc 1+2 Init Phase. Add the mod amount to bring in The Snap.

Just checked the audio with lfo tool and Dune2 is bringing bass, stable as heck.

Btw I find myself using Dune2 for bass more than Serum :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”