Sound of the 80s

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

BlackWinny wrote:And in 1977 had born the Punk... which quickly moved to the New Wave style around 1980. it's not fortuitous, by the way, this name "New Wave"... A true landslide, this new wave, yes!

1975 is also the date of the conception (not the birth) of the Metal-prog style with the album Caress of Steel, from Rush.
For me the 70s was the birth of Industrial - Throbbing Gristle, and the minimal electronics of Cabaret Voltaire. 8)

T-CM11 wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:And in 1977 had born the Punk... which quickly moved to the New Wave style around 1980. it's not fortuitous, by the way, this name "New Wave"... A true landslide, this new wave, yes!

1975 is also the date of the conception (not the birth) of the Metal-prog style with the album Caress of Steel, from Rush.
For me the 70s was the birth of Industrial - Throbbing Gristle, and the minimal electronics of Cabaret Voltaire. 8)
Yes, also...You're right.

Ahhhh... Cabaret Voltaire...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

T-CM11 wrote:
Ingonator wrote: Since when 1994 belongs to the "80s"?
Depends on where you are... when I visited Prague in 1995, early 80s hair metal was all the rage there. :hihi:
True, because in 1991, local youth thought they were in the 60's (playing acoustics and singing all together at public places) and we mocked they would be in the 70's in only two years. :D :D

Ingonator wrote:BTW this seems to be one of the examples where the hardware Wavestation sounds superior IMO and in fact the software even sounds quite different in this case.
Well... technically the software sounds *better* (more hifi, cleaner, less noise, more detail, higher sample rate) but the hardware has a lower-res "thick" almost "de-focused" sound, due to the crappy D/A convertors, that's quite nice and gives it a softness which helps it blend in.

I have both, and am very familiar with the sound of the WS.

To emulate this with the software, roll a little bit off the highs and add a small amount of saturation/distortion or even tape thickening. Has anyone made a "crap D/A convertor" plugin yet? ;)

memory moon is very close to the sound I had with my memorymoog but the hardware was always going out of tune and for really strange modulating filter fx that thing was a beast. If only Uhe would try to tackle that beast and add that units goodies into Diva.

I still don't even know what kinds of sounds/patches we are talking about. Maybe some examples would help...

There are many examples, Fluffy. Get back to the list, and click the links that I have indicated to drive you to the original hardwares. Almost all will lead you to the "Vintage Synth Explorer" pages of these legendary hardware synths. There, in almost all of these pages you will find at the right grey column some videos and some audio examples made with these synths.

Enjoy!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

May I plug this for that 80's funky drum sound? :) just released.
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/vlinn-l ... ab/details

Aly James wrote:May I plug this for that 80's funky drum sound? :) just released.
Yes yes yes!
I just mentioned it here in the present thread very few hours ago:

BlackWinny wrote:
Aly James wrote:May I plug this for that 80's funky drum sound? :) just released.
Yes yes yes!
Ahaha I didn't read all the thread :wink:
I have just submitted the news at KVR so it should pop out in the news soon. Check the specs :D

Aly James wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
Yes yes yes!
I have just submitted the news at KVR so it should pop out in the news soon. Check the specs :D
Done
I have also added a little text, as I do with all the most interesting softwares wich emulate real hardwares. You can check it? It's close to the end of the list, as I have chosen an alphabetical order to prevent any problem of susceptibilities from certain developers...
:D

Nokenoku wrote:Don't forget the Korg Wavestation VSTi.
Actually, the entire Korg Legacy collection is impressive.

They are some of the only soft synths ported by a major hardware company.

In this case the same hardware company that designed the hardware versions.

The M1 includes all the original sound add ons as does the WAVESTATION.

ALL the soft synths are very close to the original hardware.
Includes:

MS-20
Polysix
Mono/Poly
M1
WAVESTATION
MDE-X Effects

$49 each or $200 for all.
One of the BEST synth deals for vintage synths available.

BlackWinny wrote:
Aly James wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
Yes yes yes!
Done
I have also added a little text, as I do with all the most interesting softwares wich emulate real hardwares. You can check it? It's close to the end of the list, as I have chosen an alphabetical order to prevent any problem of susceptibilities from certain developers...
Cool thx :tu: You can add that VLINN LM1 Drums VST can load real binary EPROM image, which means that you can replace the stock sounds like on the real drum machine, this opens up to Linndrum (LM2), Oberheim DMX & DX, Drumtracks etc compatible sounds. You can even encode your own samples into the appropriate 8-bit companded format to load them in the VST.
Btw I saw that you mention VOPM in that list, you should take a look at this..Real Sega Genesis YM2612 soundchip emulation :wink: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=132

Aly James wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
Aly James wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
Yes yes yes!
Done
Cool thx :tu: You can add that VLINN LM1 Drums VST can load real binary EPROM image, which means that you can replace the stock sounds like on the real drum machine, this opens up to Linndrum (LM2), Oberheim DMX & DX, Drumtracks etc compatible sounds. You can even encode your own samples into the appropriate 8-bit companded format to load them in the VST.
Btw I saw that you mention VOPM in that list, you should take a look at this..Real Sega Genesis YM2612 soundchip emulation :wink: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=132
Ahem... (throat cleaning)... Yes. But I must impose myself to limit my texts to two lines, the link being obvious to drive the person to the page which explains in details. The role of my text is... to give the desire to click the link, and I think that it fits quite well for this purpose as it is now, don't you think so? (furthermore, the list is already very long... as an endless day). By the bye... it is close to four A.M. here at Paris (France, I need to point out). So now... Beddy-byes!

You're welcome!
:tu:

No problem it is already pretty self explanatory :D
Have a nice sleep!

Return to “Instruments”