Tone2 Electra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ElectraX Tone2 Electra3

Frantz wrote:My recollection is that Electra2 only allows you to import custom waveforms for sample playback or resynthesis. In both cases, you can use Electra2's filters and effects. I found it quick and easy and got good results. The only annoyance is that Electra is fussy about the WAV format and so I had to do conversion in Audacity (which was pretty easy).

My understanding is that the waveforms that you import must be mono and single cycle. While Electra2 does have classic Waldorf style wavetables, I am not aware of support for importing custom wavetables.
As already mentioned the "Custom Wave" feature (formerlly called "wavetable") does not do typical wavetables. It allows to chnage the symmetry of an imported waveform using the PW knob (or modulation of that knob). This could lead to some quite interesting results as changing te wave symmetry could change the resulting sound quite much.

What is called real wavetables (in the PPG way) is included with what is now called "wavetable" and formerly was caled VA waveforms. This includes a bunch of actual wavetables but those could not be edited.

Actually all waveforms of Electra 2 seem to be morphable using the PW knob except with samples loaded in the samples mode.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Seems I'm resurrecting this thread. Anyways, might have been asked but I'm not sure. What are the demo limitations on Electra2? Tone2 website mentions a time limit, but how long is it? Is patch recall available? Host automation? Are there bursts of noise? It's a big enough download for me that I'd appreciate any info on this before I download the demo.

KingTuck wrote:Seems I'm resurrecting this thread. Anyways, might have been asked but I'm not sure. What are the demo limitations on Electra2? Tone2 website mentions a time limit, but how long is it? Is patch recall available? Host automation? Are there bursts of noise? It's a big enough download for me that I'd appreciate any info on this before I download the demo.
They're fully functioning versions of the software, though they're time-limited. I don't believe patch-recall is disabled. There's no burst of noise, and host automation should work properly.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:
KingTuck wrote:Seems I'm resurrecting this thread. Anyways, might have been asked but I'm not sure. What are the demo limitations on Electra2? Tone2 website mentions a time limit, but how long is it? Is patch recall available? Host automation? Are there bursts of noise? It's a big enough download for me that I'd appreciate any info on this before I download the demo.
They're fully functioning versions of the software, though they're time-limited. I don't believe patch-recall is disabled. There's no burst of noise, and host automation should work properly.

Steve
Thanks for the info. Time limited demos irk me if they don't have patch recall. Makes actually programming the synth a real bitch and limits me to just checking out presets, which I'll never buy a synth by doing. XILS Lab are doing that with MiniSynx and I must admit to being pretty unimpressed by it. Terrific company though otherwise. All their other demos have very fair limitations.

Just downloaded it. Absolutely not fully functioning. No patch-recall, many features are disabled. You have to program your shit before the short time limit runs out or else you're SOL.

Scummy, annoying demo. There's not even a f**king init patch!

Start it up, reverse all the current patches programming, jam in your own shit and let it disappear immediately after. Tone2 man. This is ridiculous.

KingTuck wrote:There's not even a f**king init patch!
Pretty much the only company who's demos don't annoy me are FabFilter, but regarding the init. I never upgraded to Electra 2, but in ElectraX there are 16 init patches. They're just in a somewhat odd location found in the lower mid section of the GUI (rather than the top) there is an Init tab. From the screenshots it looks like it's the same in Electra 2, at least the location.

As an addendum regarding demos, I don't think many companies are as confident in their products to have a demo policy like FabFilter, but at least for me it makes a huge difference. I own all, but one of their plugins, and they aren't cheap. Don't make my first impression one of frustration and it will likely pay off for you. :)

KingTuck wrote:Just downloaded it. Absolutely not fully functioning. No patch-recall, many features are disabled. You have to program your shit before the short time limit runs out or else you're SOL.

Scummy, annoying demo. There's not even a f**king init patch!

Start it up, reverse all the current patches programming, jam in your own shit and let it disappear immediately after. Tone2 man. This is ridiculous.
According to Tone2's website:

"The trial versions are fully working software with a time limit. You are allowed to use them for evaluation purpose only!"

When I downloaded a demo last year, it was a fully-working version of the software. You may want to blast their support team if that's no longer the case.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

You're right about the init patch. It's available on the Settings tab on the bottom of the synth, strange place.

I'm good with the XILS Lab demos and the u-he demos. Those both have fair restrictions IMO (u-he is more fair though). I own most Fabfilter stuff and I don't even remember when/if I demoed it (probably did).

Tested it, all in all I find the GUI rather awful - looks amateurish and a bit boring. Don't want a "shop" link in my synths. Not easy to spot if a synth layer is on or off. No GUI zooming. No skining(?)

Soundwise I could work with it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to spend my money on that GUI.

Updated impressions on the demo.

The time limit is actually somewhat fair. It pops up with a "Buy Electra2" box after about 20 mins. The audio won't cut out though until you close the box, if you just smush it into the corner of your screen you can just keep working. Weird but I can live with it.

The synth itself is quite good, very in line with what Tone2 typically do. I probably won't purchase a copy for sometime though. Can only take so many fake buzzwords and sensationalist manuals.

2ZrgE wrote:Tested it, all in all I find the GUI rather awful - looks amateurish and a bit boring. Don't want a "shop" link in my synths. Not easy to spot if a synth layer is on or off. No GUI zooming. No skining(?)

Soundwise I could work with it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to spend my money on that GUI.
Electra2 is skinnable (http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?topic=2146.0), but no skins have been made for it, yet.

Well that thing deserves a total makeover if you ask me, they really shoud hire a professional designer, Tone2 (and Rob Papen) should realize that there are things that you shouldn't do by yourself (even if you think you could).

Is this the synth where the GUI browser tab just says "Brows"?

2ZrgE wrote:Well that thing deserves a total makeover if you ask me, they really shoud hire a professional designer, Tone2 (and Rob Papen) should realize that there are things that you shouldn't do by yourself (even if you think you could).
I don't think Papen or Jon (his programmer) do the GUI work for their plugs.

The Tone2 GUI's are kinda strange but they're typically decently arranged. About all that's important to me. Papen plugs I'm cool with the GUI's on. Might not always be pretty but they always look good enough to me.

Return to “Instruments”