What are you rediscovering?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
filter303
KVRian
619 posts since 14 Jun, 2006 from Finland

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:40 am

Yamaha RM1x - it was my only sequencer when it came out and I did a million songs with. I recently got my third and realized that I should have never sold it in the first place. 5 song in 5days... Thats more than I usually finish in a year. Really inspiring piece of gear. I just use it to compose the songs and after they are finished I will save the patterns as standard midi files and import them into reaper. From there it's easy to start changing the sounds and mixing. I feel this is helping me to get rid of this bad habit of mixing while composing. My previous workflow has made it hard for me to finish any projects at all because all aI have beem doing was just play around with different things... Got to try this, got to try that. Now it's over. Trying put different arrangements with RM1x is a joy. This is a relief as I always struggle with the song structure if I use regular arrangement view from my daw of choise.

Next stop for me is the rs7000

ghettosynth
KVRAF
11273 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Re: What are you rediscovering

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:00 am

filter303 wrote:Yamaha RM1x - it was my only sequencer when it came out and I did a million songs with. I recently got my third and realized that I should have never sold it in the first place. 5 song in 5days... Thats more than I usually finish in a year. Really inspiring piece of gear. I just use it to compose the songs and after they are finished I will save the patterns as standard midi files and import them into reaper. From there it's easy to start changing the sounds and mixing. I feel this is helping me to get rid of this bad habit of mixing while composing. My previous workflow has made it hard for me to finish any projects at all because all aI have beem doing was just play around with different things... Got to try this, got to try that. Now it's over. Trying put different arrangements with RM1x is a joy. This is a relief as I always struggle with the song structure if I use regular arrangement view from my daw of choise.

Next stop for me is the rs7000
I still have two RS7ks, I'm on the fence about keeping them. I don't use them, but, I have the same problem in that I don't get much work done in the box.

Vectorman
KVRian
1259 posts since 6 May, 2005 from Michigan, USA

Re: What are you rediscovering?

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:11 am

Probably the biggest thing I've rediscovered in the past year is the pleasure of more traditional songwriting (just writing the core of the song on piano and maybe partly on bass, rather than building things around textures and pulsating synth stuff), and just a more organic overall sound.

But in the synth department, I guess the main thing I've rediscovered in the last few months is the Korg Wavestation, which I had never bothered to put back on my new computer when I upgraded back in 2012. It has a great transparency in a mix - can really fill things out, especially out on the edges of the stereo field, without eating up much space.

foosnark
KVRAF
4413 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:28 am

Sendy wrote:Re-FX PlastiCZ
That thing was awesome for ripping right through everything else in the mix. :tu:

I'm rediscovering Uhbik-F and Uhbik-P. A lot of the other Uhbik plugins I don't personally find that awesome (Runciter has its moments for sure though) -- but those two! I spent a couple of hours just playing with feedback in drone nirvana for a while with Uhbik-F, and another couple of hours doing psuedo-physical modelling type stuff with Uhbik-P.

D-Fusion
KVRAF
3390 posts since 13 Jul, 2004 from Earth

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:53 am

I will be rediscovering FL Studio and Largo when the 64bit version is out (Which i am really looking forward to) :)
And tomorow i will be rediscovering Waldorf Blofeld when i get it :)

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
23092 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:31 am

I'm rediscovering my guitars after shattering my left wrist in a motorbike crash almost 2 years ago. I've had to learn new ways of playing as I lost 40 degrees of bend in my wrist. Have managed to write (and play) a couple of tunes on my LAG recently . :)

EnGee
KVRAF
4942 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:44 am

Vectorman wrote:Probably the biggest thing I've rediscovered in the past year is the pleasure of more traditional songwriting (just writing the core of the song on piano and maybe partly on bass, rather than building things around textures and pulsating synth stuff), and just a more organic overall sound.
I'm in a very similar situation :-)

Mostly, I want to listen to piano sounds as I'm learning it and it is very possible for me to buy a digital piano (Kawai ES100 mostly) in the near future although I really like my Oxygen 49 and sure I am going to keep it.

I'm rediscovering that simplicity in composing is an important key to get the melody/harmony done and that learning how to play well can help a lot in composing besides a good background in music theory :-)

I have little time for synths now, but I'm rediscovering Razor and Halion Sonic SE!
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

tapper mike
KVRAF
4801 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:15 am

I actually open daws quite irregularly. Usually I'll just open cantabile. When I'm running a daw I'm constantly thinking "I've got to record something"
If I'm playing around with an idea in isolation (no background instruments) it actually clears my head to either play something I know or experiment with ideas. If the idea is good enough to stay in my brains and my fingers I usually find recreating it in a daw rather easy.

I'll also have times when I have a second program running in the background like BIAB, Real Band or Guitar Pro. That way I can figure out various songs or jam along with them.

robotmonkey
KVRAF
2019 posts since 20 Jun, 2012

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:11 pm

My DAW setup has been pretty much the same for years now simply because I still do not use everything to its full potential yet. Also I generally tend to prefer as minimal setup as possible.

The only exception has been the E-MU Emulator X3 that recently made a comeback into my setup. I had not used it since I did a last reinstall (it was quite some time ago) but after a recent hard drive swap I put it back on my new setup. And honesty, I still wonder what was I thinking when I left it out in the first place. It is just god damn sweet instrument. I'd say even though it's not so modern and good looking anymore it's functionally still the best VST sampler out there. It's such a versatile instrument. And all the E-MU libraries are top notch. I'm always amazed how much great sounding stuff they achieved with very limited amount of sample ROM (all the E-MU module libraries). And of course the bigger libraries are excellent too. Emulator X3 is like the best ROMpler/sound module and highly programmable sampler in one instrument.
No signature here!

arkmabat
KVRAF
3595 posts since 6 Nov, 2009

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:40 pm

tapper mike wrote:I actually open daws quite irregularly. Usually I'll just open cantabile. When I'm running a daw I'm constantly thinking "I've got to record something"
If I'm playing around with an idea in isolation (no background instruments) it actually clears my head to either play something I know or experiment with ideas. If the idea is good enough to stay in my brains and my fingers I usually find recreating it in a daw rather easy.

I'll also have times when I have a second program running in the background like BIAB, Real Band or Guitar Pro. That way I can figure out various songs or jam along with them.
A standalone host is way easier than opening a huge daw just to play a synth, for sure. I do the same.

tapper mike
KVRAF
4801 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:09 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:I'm rediscovering my guitars after shattering my left wrist in a motorbike crash almost 2 years ago. I've had to learn new ways of playing as I lost 40 degrees of bend in my wrist. Have managed to write (and play) a couple of tunes on my LAG recently . :)

If Peter Frampton came back, so will you.

Tricky-Loops
KVRAF
9462 posts since 12 Mar, 2012 from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:18 pm

EnGee wrote:I'm rediscovering that simplicity in composing is an important key to get the melody/harmony done and that learning how to play well can help a lot in composing besides a good background in music theory :-)
So true! :clap:

That's what I want to learn but there's still so much theory and practice to learn that I need a second life... :cry:

BBFG#
KVRAF
5349 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:44 pm

The words of my various teachers.

Aleatoriac
KVRAF
1662 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from betwixt

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:12 pm

The joy of being a complete failure at everything I do. I literally love it now. Ever failed! Mwa ha ha!

Amnesia94
KVRer
2 posts since 12 Jun, 2014 from United States

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:41 am

Sylenth1! It isn't very old, but this is the first time I've been back to it in about half a year. Forgot just how damn amazing this thing can sound. Other than it's quality sound, what's so great is that even though it's moderately simple, it's incredibly flexible. :tu:
"The honey badger runs backwards, honey badger don't give a shit"

Return to “Instruments”