Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

benedettodue wrote:The program TX816ED.exe ( http://m.bareille.free.fr/synlibdxtx/synlibdxtx.htm ) it is not compatible with windows 10 (error Invalid Device Id) :-(
OTOH it runs very well under Wine in Linux. :)

In Yon Olden Tymes my favorite DX/TX editors were the Bacchus Voice Managers and Voyetra's Sideman D/TX. Got a lot of work done with those two. The Sideman editor has a neatly-designed Randomization function that allows parameter masking, makes it easy to whip up a bank of variants on a single patch. Tha Bacchus editors were fully graphic, with mouse-controlled breakpoint editing. I used them with my TX802 and a TX81z.

Best,

dp

Does anyone have the Michael Boddicker patches in sysex that they can share? The ones that come with the huge folder of DX7 patches are corrupt. Thanks!

benedettodue wrote:The program TX816ED.exe ( http://m.bareille.free.fr/synlibdxtx/synlibdxtx.htm ) it is not compatible with windows 10 (error Invalid Device Id) :-(
It also isn't compatible with Mac OS. :hihi:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:
It also isn't compatible with Mac OS. :hihi:

/Joachim
Judging from the site, it dates from 2008, and for the looks, it seems like it was still for Windows 95 (perhaps XP). It would be asking for too much waiting it ti be compatible with Windows 10 (with Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 in the middle). The same applies, with much more reasons, to Mac OS X.
Fernando (FMR)

I'm a total fan of Dexed. And I own a DX7 and a TX816 for which I use Dexed to send, receive and edit patches. I've discovered that I can even control multiple parameters simultaneously in real-time on my TX816 using automation via Dexed (on Ableton Live). This little freeware prog has been a real game-changer for me as a sound artist and electronic music producer. It also sounds amazingly close to the original.

My hat goes off to all the developers who've been involved with Dexed! Not to mention the inventor of FM synthesis, John Chowning, all Yamaha staff who worked for years to create the DX7, and the creators of the thousands of sounds available, all of which is now freely and instantly available to any douche with a computer ;)

HOWEVER, as someone who relies fairly heavily on Dexed on a daily basis I've come across a massive stumbling block: I'm unable to open instances of VST Dexed on projects that used a pre AU version of Dexed. I get the error message: "VST Dexed: The VST plugin could not be opened". No midi information is lost but there is no way to identify which syx patches were used. I've got Dexed 0.9.2 installed on a Mac running Ableton Live 9.7.

Anyone have any idea how to solve this?

EDIT

Solved by doing the following: (It turned out to be old vs new Dexed Unique Id Value conflict)

1. Install UltraEdit (or use other XML editor)
2. Add “.zip” at end of problem “.als” file, yielding “.als.zip”
3. Open .zip file
4. Open .als file with UltraEdit
5. Find and replace ALL "1349285223" with "1147500644" (Dexed Unique Id Value)
6. Save

Hurrah!

Hi everybody,
Can someone give me some advice about the installation of Dexed FM in Logic 9 ?
I'm trying to use this synth in my (old...) Mac Pro (Intel - 64 bits) with OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) but the AU validation of Logic 9 always crashes !!! :/
The component file seems to be in the correct folder, like all my synths AU, but I cannot get it in the plug-in list inside Logic !!
I'm aware that my hardware and software are not very recent...but I can guarantee that many other similar synths of mine work fine in this configuration. So, is Dexed FM only available on OS 10.7 ???

Please help me (and sorry for the language of a poor little French guy ;-) )

I was trying to use Dexed in order to listen to the copious carts on this thread. Really nice. Here's some bugs:

Reaper bug: (GUI state)
while browsing the directory tree and looking through tons of folders, and making my way thru the patches, and if Dexed's GUI is hidden and re-shown, the directory tree in the browser disappears and you lose your place and forget where you are in your mountains of DX7 cart folders. To reproduce, just hide and re-show Dexed perhaps by looking at a different plugin in the chain momentarily.

Kind of annoying bug:
stuck notes. If a note is going and you change a patch, you get a stuck note ("send all notes off" F3 in Reaper, doesn't stop the stuck note, but a patch change does.)

Suggestion:
single-click to change a patch. maybe this is already in the preferences?

MAA wrote:Does anyone have the Michael Boddicker patches in sysex that they can share? The ones that come with the huge folder of DX7 patches are corrupt. Thanks!
Anybody??

chris.r wrote:
MAA wrote:Does anyone have the Michael Boddicker patches in sysex that they can share? The ones that come with the huge folder of DX7 patches are corrupt. Thanks!
Anybody??
I don't think the patches are corrupt, a previous version of dexed will read them correctly,
but version 9.2.0 has problems with these patches AFAIK :scared:
Try an older version to be sure..

See also : http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p6570276

overhishead wrote:I was trying to use Dexed in order to listen to the copious carts on this thread. Really nice. Here's some bugs:

Reaper bug: (GUI state)
while browsing the directory tree and looking through tons of folders, and making my way thru the patches, and if Dexed's GUI is hidden and re-shown, the directory tree in the browser disappears and you lose your place and forget where you are in your mountains of DX7 cart folders. To reproduce, just hide and re-show Dexed perhaps by looking at a different plugin in the chain momentarily.

Kind of annoying bug:
stuck notes. If a note is going and you change a patch, you get a stuck note ("send all notes off" F3 in Reaper, doesn't stop the stuck note, but a patch change does.)

Suggestion:
single-click to change a patch. maybe this is already in the preferences?
When the UI hidden; it is actually closed and the position in the cart browser is lost. The framework UI works like that; so it is more work on my side, but it is on my todo list.

As for the stuck note, the all note off will be supported in the next version (see below). And for the single program click, it as been supported since 0.9.2 ; out of the box and it is a default settings.

And this is the next version coming : https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/releases/tag/v0.9.3b1 ; feedback is welcome. This version should actually read anything that looks like a DX7 Cart...

why does "MODERN" engine sounds much closer to dx7 than "MARK 1" engine?

check "brass 1" for ex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3rrjQtQe5A
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

Thanks for that breakpoint display fix.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

sergiofrias wrote:why does "MODERN" engine sounds much closer to dx7 than "MARK 1" engine?

check "brass 1" for ex.
It's the feedback calibration for Algo 4&6 vs the others... now fixed (based on my ears) for the next release.

Which ones are the Michael Boddicker patches? I'm not sure I've seen them, but I'd like to test them. I have the .ZIP file of all the SYSEX files dated January of 2015.

And on a related note, where can I get an updated .ZIP file of all the patches? I don't remember where I got this one, but I think it was bout 60 KVR thread pages ago, and I can't find the link now. I also just updated Dexed from the Github site, and didn't see a link there for the patches.

Thanks!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:
Which ones are the Michael Boddicker patches? I'm not sure I've seen them, but I'd like to test them. I have the .ZIP file of all the SYSEX files dated January of 2015.

And on a related note, where can I get an updated .ZIP file of all the patches? I don't remember where I got this one, but I think it was bout 60 KVR thread pages ago, and I can't find the link now. I also just updated Dexed from the Github site, and didn't see a link there for the patches.

Thanks!

Steve
i believe he is talking about the banks that are 10,478 bytes instead of the standard 4k

such as "BoddickerVoiceBVRC1004.SYX"

it open up scramble in my Dexed too.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”