Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
teilo
KVRist
178 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Keep in mind, that whatever Dexed does, it needs to match the settings of the DX7 point-for-point. That is exactly what the current envelope controls do.

So even if they come up with better way to dial in the envelopes, the curve must still generate a valid set of numeric parameters for the DX7, and it must always be possible to enter a given operator's curve parameters from a DX7 patch into Dexed.
macOS | Ableton 10 | Bitwig 2.x | Reason 10
MPK249 | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | DSAudio all | All TAL synths | Komplete Ult. 11 | Serum | DUNE 2 | Arturia V 6 | Fabfilter Pro all | countless others

gentleclockdivider
KVRian
1234 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

I know , I just wanted to point out that the actual time stages of the envelopes are not linear ( as shown in screenshot ) , which is a good thing
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

subterfuge
KVRist
215 posts since 7 Sep, 2012

Re: Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:24 am

overhishead wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:31 pm
Dexed will most likely have a new envelope system that gives better visual feedback than knobs, and history will decide whether my suggestion anticipated it, and I didn't know there was a limit to the amount of suggestions that were allowed.
Dexed already has visual feedback about the envelopes. Of course those little screens could be bigger. But as long as there is no way to actually adjust anything on them, no need to go overboard. If and when there would be on-screen adjustment, that wouldn't mean drawing just about any fancy curves on the screen either. Afais, the DX7 envelopes are wonky if not even "broken" compared to a regular and expected envelope behavior. As long as Dexed is tied as closely as possible to the original device parameters, I can see just more frustration coming from the odd limits the still existing 8 envelope parameters would impose to the possible envelope drawing.

Already mentioned FM7/8 have e.g. already tried to fix this part and at the same time broken the compatibility. I'd hope everybody is free to decide what features are more important for them and use the tools fitting their needs.

As for the history, you might be 4 years late with your suggestion even within this thread, though you could be right about the anticipation. I don't think the amount of suggestions is a problem. Sometimes the problem might be not understanding or accepting that if certain project already has set targets, especially when trying to match an existing device, many of those suggestions might be just noise or daydreaming. Dexed is not the only one getting that either.
overhishead wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:31 pm
Don't forget there are casual users and not just 5 star synth generals interested in the project.
There are tons of presets available, like there are for far more simple synths too. But thinking they can conquer a synth like DX7 just like that, they must be gifted, become actually committed or look elsewhere. Headaches and frustrations of course an option too.

Return to “Instruments”