Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Keep in mind, that whatever Dexed does, it needs to match the settings of the DX7 point-for-point. That is exactly what the current envelope controls do.

So even if they come up with better way to dial in the envelopes, the curve must still generate a valid set of numeric parameters for the DX7, and it must always be possible to enter a given operator's curve parameters from a DX7 patch into Dexed.

I know , I just wanted to point out that the actual time stages of the envelopes are not linear ( as shown in screenshot ) , which is a good thing
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

overhishead wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:31 am Dexed will most likely have a new envelope system that gives better visual feedback than knobs, and history will decide whether my suggestion anticipated it, and I didn't know there was a limit to the amount of suggestions that were allowed.
Dexed already has visual feedback about the envelopes. Of course those little screens could be bigger. But as long as there is no way to actually adjust anything on them, no need to go overboard. If and when there would be on-screen adjustment, that wouldn't mean drawing just about any fancy curves on the screen either. Afais, the DX7 envelopes are wonky if not even "broken" compared to a regular and expected envelope behavior. As long as Dexed is tied as closely as possible to the original device parameters, I can see just more frustration coming from the odd limits the still existing 8 envelope parameters would impose to the possible envelope drawing.

Already mentioned FM7/8 have e.g. already tried to fix this part and at the same time broken the compatibility. I'd hope everybody is free to decide what features are more important for them and use the tools fitting their needs.

As for the history, you might be 4 years late with your suggestion even within this thread, though you could be right about the anticipation. I don't think the amount of suggestions is a problem. Sometimes the problem might be not understanding or accepting that if certain project already has set targets, especially when trying to match an existing device, many of those suggestions might be just noise or daydreaming. Dexed is not the only one getting that either.
overhishead wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:31 am Don't forget there are casual users and not just 5 star synth generals interested in the project.
There are tons of presets available, like there are for far more simple synths too. But thinking they can conquer a synth like DX7 just like that, they must be gifted, become actually committed or look elsewhere. Headaches and frustrations of course an option too.

it's too bad that one or two folks don't like the suggestions I've made, but how would we know they were good ideas or not until they've been dismissed by the elite commisars of the Dexed project? I write that tongue in cheek. you might say i'm a dreamer, but i'm not the only one.

There are seas and seas of presets from the DX7 and they mostly sound the same, there WILL be new life for the DX7, and there will come a day when there are better and better tools to tease out sounds on par with the best of the best. I know it, and you will know it in the future.

I am an ally to Yamaha FM synthesizers, do not feel threatened.

It could be that this old project uses an older version of Dexed, but is there any way to see what cart you have loaded up, when you open old projects? You can see what is on the cart, but not what cart it is. It also doesn't appear to be pre selected from the list by default of carts, either.
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

Norrin_Radd wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:32 am It could be that this old project uses an older version of Dexed, but is there any way to see what cart you have loaded up, when you open old projects? You can see what is on the cart, but not what cart it is. It also doesn't appear to be pre selected from the list by default of carts, either.
All versions forget/don't show what cart is loaded the second you close the GUI.

Ah, well, that explains that. Any way to search the sysex files themselves for the file names within?
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

Norrin_Radd wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:27 am Ah, well, that explains that. Any way to search the sysex files themselves for the file names within?
The guy that developed the Synth1 Librarian was considering making a version of his librarian software for Dexed. - Neutrino Sky - https://www.kvraudio.com/product/synth1 ... ky/details

He looked into it, and due to the crazy massive number of presets available said it would need some serious database programming effort.

Dexed Librarian [TEASER]
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=507887

Then he got a new business venture that would not leave him time to pursue the new project. That is life, but it sure would have been nice! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=496615&p=7264331#p7264331
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Norrin_Radd wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:27 am Ah, well, that explains that. Any way to search the sysex files themselves for the file names within?
I tried and had success with this : Notepad++

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.6.4.html

It has a find in files search function, it will search for a word/presetname in all the files in a folder and present you with a list of files that contain that word.

Yeager wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:25 am
I tried and had success with this : Notepad++

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.6.4.html

It has a find in files search function, it will search for a word/presetname in all the files in a folder and present you with a list of files that contain that word.
Good tip! I have Notepad++ and love it. It can generally open large files without blinking! But I didn't realize you could also work with folders!

Just open the "Folder as workspace" in Notepad++, then search with "Find in files", enter the string and "find all".

I presume that this search finds the patch names in plain text within the .syx file that match the search string.

I found 1227 .syx files in "Dexed_cart_1.0" with the string "piano" in it. And 405 files with "rhodes". :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Until a thorough (and usable) database for the presets comes along, there's this: https://patches.fm/#/

According to the site, "patches.fm is meant as a one-stop shop for patches for use in frequency modulation (FM) synthesizers and sound chips.

Features
- Search for patches by name, author, or source SYSEX patch bank
- Download SYSEX file for each individual patch
- Live patch preview with MIDI input support (requires Google Chrome or Firefox)
- Transfer patch directly to connected MIDI device (requires Google Chrome or Firefox)
- Saving and searching for favorite patches"

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Is microtuning like in DX7 II implemented in dexed?
Sorry, if this question has already been answered...

Hello, first post here, had a little question, hopefully this is the right board.

Is there any way to edit the parameters with the keyboard instead of by knob?
It's a bit annoying following tutorial examples, let's say I need to set operator 2's level to 87, I'm playing around with this virtual knob until I get that value. Not that big of a deal, but after a couple of times gets pretty frustrating, especially if I'm on a laptop trackpad. I think it'd be pretty fast to just click on whatever parameter and type 87 or whatever, done. Is there any way to do that?

Sorry if this was brought up before, I searched through the thread with "keyboard shortcuts" and stuff like that, didn't really know what to call my little issue.

kebapi wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:10 pm Hello, first post here, had a little question, hopefully this is the right board.

Is there any way to edit the parameters with the keyboard instead of by knob?
It's a bit annoying following tutorial examples, let's say I need to set operator 2's level to 87, I'm playing around with this virtual knob until I get that value. Not that big of a deal, but after a couple of times gets pretty frustrating, especially if I'm on a laptop trackpad. I think it'd be pretty fast to just click on whatever parameter and type 87 or whatever, done. Is there any way to do that?

Sorry if this was brought up before, I searched through the thread with "keyboard shortcuts" and stuff like that, didn't really know what to call my little issue.
Typable parameter values.

No.

Buy a remote mouse.

Thanks, really quick answer!

I'll check out what I can do with a remote mouse.

Return to “Instruments”