Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
fanodu1
KVRist
83 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:30 am

surreal wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:04 pm
chris.r wrote:A search through presets function would come handy.
Thanks!
See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=507887&p=7473049#p7473049
This is from the same guy who also made the amazing Synth1 librarian. Too bad it's not released yet. :(

zzz00m
KVRAF
1991 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:21 am

fanodu1 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:30 am

This is from the same guy who also made the amazing Synth1 librarian. Too bad it's not released yet. :(
Not happening...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=496615&p=7264331#p7264331
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

veloheinz
KVRer
24 posts since 23 Nov, 2009

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:55 am

everyone can do sounds themselves,
but we need a new GUI !!!

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3284 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:59 am

Dexed is new compared to the original DX-7...
There is the Arturia version with a different GUI and FM8 with yet another one. A project like Dexed is perfect for just loading old sounds. No sophisticated GUI needed at all...
For FM sound design there are far better tools out there, don‘t forget, Dexed is even free...
I started to recreate Dx7 sounds in the Grid, just out of curiosity. It works and will lead you into areas the original can never get to... Dexed helped a lot to just compare the sounds...

overhishead
KVRist
331 posts since 21 Jan, 2007

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:07 am

ergonomically, my issue with the knobs in the envelope is that the different rate values that they control, as well as function are ambiguous to me as a dyslexic user. (and if you are not dyslexic, trying to program a DX7 will make you dyslexic.) Because these identical looking knobs do secret things, i need to store and recall physical memories in my brain as to what the function and value of the envelope controls, and this reduces the intuitiveness of the gui. this is why i have called for a symposium on this problem. This is not a criticism on Stanford University or Dr. Chowning. This is not a scolding of the small elite handful of gatekeepers either. This is an invitation to open DX7 programming to a wider audience with the hope that they will compose amazing new presets so that I don't have to.

zzz00m
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 am

Check out Waves Flow Motion for an interesting GUI. You can have fun with FM and not have to deal with complexities of DX style workflow.

Obviously you won't be creating DX-7 programs with this thing, but you might make some interesting sounds!

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/waves-flow-motion

https://youtu.be/uQKgPqrUj4Y

https://youtu.be/FVKJIMTXapQ
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

electro
KVRAF
4528 posts since 6 May, 2002

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Could the next Dexed revision add a toggle switch to A/B mute internal sound engine or MIDI Output?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

moshimoshi
KVRist
102 posts since 18 May, 2016

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:33 pm

overhishead wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:07 am
ergonomically, my issue with the knobs in the envelope is that the different rate values that they control, as well as function are ambiguous to me as a dyslexic user. (and if you are not dyslexic, trying to program a DX7 will make you dyslexic.) Because these identical looking knobs do secret things, i need to store and recall physical memories in my brain as to what the function and value of the envelope controls, and this reduces the intuitiveness of the gui. this is why i have called for a symposium on this problem. This is not a criticism on Stanford University or Dr. Chowning. This is not a scolding of the small elite handful of gatekeepers either. This is an invitation to open DX7 programming to a wider audience with the hope that they will compose amazing new presets so that I don't have to.
OK so let's see - you will ignore suggestions of other FM synths which do what you want, you will also ignore when people directly link you to manuals which explain how the envelopes work in a few paragraphs with diagrams. I get it. We must have other programmers change Dexed for you (in so breaking true DX7 import), so that other people can make patches for you, and all for zero cost, for your convenience. :? :dog: :tu: :?: :?: :?: :roll:

crimsonwarlock
KVRAF
2261 posts since 18 Apr, 2001 from The Netherlands

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 pm

I had a DX7 for about 25 years and I did program my own sounds on it. Compared to that, the Dexed interface is a fantastic UI for programming DX7 sounds :-D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

overhishead
KVRist
331 posts since 21 Jan, 2007

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:29 am

moshimoshi wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:33 pm
overhishead wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:07 am
OK so let's see - you will ignore suggestions of other FM synths which do what you want, you will also ignore when people directly link you to manuals which explain how the envelopes work in a few paragraphs with diagrams. I get it. We must have other programmers change Dexed for you (in so breaking true DX7 import), so that other people can make patches for you, and all for zero cost, for your convenience. :? :dog: :tu: :?: :?: :?: :roll:
I am not saying I'm right, but You are wrong. You can change the mechanics the GUI (Graphical User Interface) and still constrain the output of those controls to correspond with DX7 patch values.

Also a DX7 doesn't have a filter, I'll wait for anyone to explain how that is compatible with a DX7.

(edit) I was agreeing with the post above me that said Dexed needs a new GUI. I didn't anticipate someone getting mad at my expertly worded comment.

maxym.srpl
KVRist
68 posts since 16 Jul, 2018

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:06 pm

Yeager wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:25 pm
I tried and had success with this : Notepad++

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.6.4.html

It has a find in files search function, it will search for a word/presetname in all the files in a folder and present you with a list of files that contain that word.
Searching files using Text Editor... bleh. Where this world is heading to?
Isn't it better to use filemanager, like TotalCommander, to work with files?

Yeager
KVRian
1120 posts since 28 Jun, 2005

Post Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:03 am

maxym.srpl wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:06 pm
Yeager wrote:

It has a find in files search function, it will search for a word/presetname in all the files in a folder and present you with a list of files that contain that word.
I'm not searchin FOR files I'm searching INSIDE a group of files looking for a text string.
Text string...text editor ?
Hey...it works..

zzz00m
KVRAF

Post Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:09 am

Yeager wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:03 am
maxym.srpl wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:06 pm
Yeager wrote:

I'm not searchin FOR files I'm searching INSIDE a group of files looking for a text string.
Hey...it works..
Notepad++ works great for that. Search across a group of .syx files in the Dexed_cart_1.0 folder for a string such as "piano" or "flute", and it will return a list of hits that match from within any .syx file in that folder.

maxym.srpl
KVRist
68 posts since 16 Jul, 2018

Post Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:43 am

Yeager wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:03 am
Hey...it works..
Yes.. I know it works. But it's like using flat-blade screwdriver for philips head-type screws.
TotalCommander can search files by their content. Even using regular expressions. You can use multiple conditions together: file extension, file name, content, last modification date and more. Yeah.. it's a THE tool for managing files.
It amazes me how many people don't know this great tool (while know Notepad++ with their extensions). It should be considered as the first tool installed into clean Windows installation.

But of course, use any tool you feel comfortable with.

zzz00m
KVRAF

Post Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:38 pm

But you can use Notepad++ without understanding what a regular expression is! :party:

Return to “Instruments”