Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:42 am Hi guys,

I tried to read the DX21 factory banks sysex into Dexed, but all I get is an empty preset list. Any idea how to fix this? Here are the dumps: DX21FactorySysex.zip

EDIT: And additional question. I installed v0.95 from original page, but the VST still says 0.91 in the info box. So is the info box outdated?

EDIT: Ok, dxconvert3 seems to convert those nicely to DX7/Dexed format.
Where did you get version "0.95"? The latest version on the GitHub page is 0.9.4hf1 (released March 18, 2018):
https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/releases/tag/v0.9.4hf1

Even the version you could download from the Dexed page only shows v.0.9.4, and that's what you'd get if you download it from that link.

Regardless of where you got it, you might want to make sure the .DLL is removed from your VST folder before you try to install the new version.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:37 am Where did you get version "0.95"? The latest version on the GitHub page is 0.9.4hf1 (released March 18, 2018):
https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/releases/tag/v0.9.4hf1

Even the version you could download from the Dexed page only shows v.0.9.4, and that's what you'd get if you download it from that link.

Regardless of where you got it, you might want to make sure the .DLL is removed from your VST folder before you try to install the new version.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I think i mixed up version numbers, it was 0.94 then. Deleting the .vst first worked.

Can anyone confirm that the most recent release of DEXED plays nicely in macOS 10.15 Catalina?

thejonsolo wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:41 amI do not think DEXED has a stand alone mode.
DEXED has a standalone version since the release of v0.9.4. I use it often with my DX5 and TX7, as well as when I just want to noodle in FM on my laptop ;)

asb2m10 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:15 am
tristan- wrote:will it be possible to implement an option for increased polyphony? right now it's on 16 like the original DX7. an option for 128 (at least) will be greatly appreciated. especially when sustaining notes (on e pianos and such) 16 poly is very limiting... the Montage for example is capable of loading DX7 sysex and with 128 poly those darn e. pianos sounds really amazing.
yes, planned in next version. It will be an option since EG can run indefinitely; so optional 16/32/64/128 voices.
I have the most recent version installed (4/2018?) and it seems like polyphony is still limited... any idea?

asb2m10 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:10 pm
EvilDragon wrote:Seems to me that voice management and perhaps even envelopes might need some more work to get rid of those clicks in mono mode...
Yep, a complete release will be dedicated to envelope and regression test from a real DX7.
Sadly, it seems like this as well never got sorted out... Mono mode clicks all the time. I wonder, will this release ever happen? I enjoy Dexed more than a more recent emulation. Lighter, better preset management and great GUI.

I really hope this doesn't become abandonware...

tristan- wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:06 am I really hope this doesn't become abandonware...
Likewise. This is an essential tool for me, not just as a plug in but as an editor/librarian for my DX5 and TX7.

tristan- wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:06 am I really hope this doesn't become abandonware...
I e-mailed the dev a few months ago, to try to encourage him to continue, and to let him know there are people using Dexed in interesting ways. I also let him know there were some unanswered questions in the forum here. Of course, if he was already burned out on the project, that wasn't going to help him much, but I was trying to let him know people really appreciate the synth. (I also told him I'd hoped they'd shown their appreciation with some donations.)

I haven't heard back from him, and I doubt I will. I just thought I'd try because we were working on testing some fixes to issues, and we never really finished (as far as I could tell).

All that said, I hope he gets more donations and gets the rest he needs from the project. Maybe then he'll feel like tackling it again, though maybe this time, on a part-time basis.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:47 am
I e-mailed the dev a few months ago, to try to encourage him to continue, and to let him know there are people using Dexed in interesting ways. I also let him know there were some unanswered questions in the forum here. Of course, if he was already burned out on the project, that wasn't going to help him much, but I was trying to let him know people really appreciate the synth. (I also told him I'd hoped they'd shown their appreciation with some donations.)

I haven't heard back from him, and I doubt I will. I just thought I'd try because we were working on testing some fixes to issues, and we never really finished (as far as I could tell).

All that said, I hope he gets more donations and gets the rest he needs from the project. Maybe then he'll feel like tackling it again, though maybe this time, on a part-time basis.

Steve
I was going to drop him a line too. I'll send him something over the next few days.

Aside from using it as an editor and librarian for my hardware, I personally think this is the most accurate DX emulation out there, sonically, and am always recommending it to many others. I would happily pay for this tool if he were to decide to go down the payware route.

Finger crossed we can help raise this beast from its slumber soon :)

Failed Muso wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 am

Steve
I was going to drop him a line too. I'll send him something over the next few days.

Aside from using it as an editor and librarian for my hardware, I personally think this is the most accurate DX emulation out there, sonically, and am always recommending it to many others. I would happily pay for this tool if he were to decide to go down the payware route.

Being an open-source (GPL) product released for free, it can't become payware a day.

But it is also a good thing because that GPL open-source situation makes it possible be be taken over by someone else. Then in that case the three questions are :
- who ?
- when ?
- and will it be with the same high-level talent ?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:01 amBeing an open-source (GPL) product released for free, it can't become payware a day.

But it is also a good thing because that GPL open-source situation makes it possible be be taken over by someone else. Then in that case the three questions are :
- who ?
- when ?
- and will it be with the same high-level talent ?
If I had the first clue about coding, I'd jump on this.

It would be good to know if the original developer has officially finished with this or if they have plans to continue. It would be such a tragic loss if this was to just sit and gather dust.

I was initially concerned by macOS 10.15 but I am successfully running DEXED on my MacBook Pro with Catalina running, so it's currently OK. But with future changes inevitable, I fear the day may come where DEXED becomes unusable with no one to throw it a lifeline.

I sit and wait in anticipation of some encouraging news...

No it is not abandonware. Not yet. I actually updated the source last week to migrate to JUCE 5.4 and (forced) migration to VST3. These changes are needed in order to implement new features and compliance to recent compilers/OS/machines. The source will have to drop VST2.4 support but I will still provide VST2.4 for binaries.

As for Mac support, I don't have full details about this about from what I understand anything built before June 1, 2019 is not required to be signed by Apple. Future updates of Dexed will require an Apple notarized builts. This will cost me 99$ year for the Developer ID in order to make it work. I'm doing my best to release a small bugfix release, but I will have to see how I can do it for MacOS.

I'm sorry if I haven't answer to adhoc emails; I have a complicated job and family situation where time is _very_ scarce. But it is on my toll.

asb2m10 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:25 pm No it is not abandonware. Not yet. I actually updated the source last week to migrate to JUCE 5.4 and (forced) migration to VST3. These changes are needed in order to implement new features and compliance to recent compilers/OS/machines. The source will have to drop VST2.4 support but I will still provide VST2.4 for binaries.

As for Mac support, I don't have full details about this about from what I understand anything built before June 1, 2019 is not required to be signed by Apple. Future updates of Dexed will require an Apple notarized builts. This will cost me 99$ year for the Developer ID in order to make it work. I'm doing my best to release a small bugfix release, but I will have to see how I can do it for MacOS.

I'm sorry if I haven't answer to adhoc emails; I have a complicated job and family situation where time is _very_ scarce. But it is on my toll.
I can't speak for everyone (though of course, I will anyway), but I'm just happy you're still around and doing okay! I don't think there's anything we need that's that important, so just take your time. I'm pretty sure we'll all be here when you have the time to come back to the project. :tu:

Steve

Failed Muso wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 am

Steve

He may not have time to respond to each e-mail, but I'd like to think he'd appreciate any words of encouragement from those of us who use Dexed--especially if those words were followed by a small (or ridiculously large) donation. ;)

(On a side note, I've been following your work with the Fairlight for a little over a year, Rob, and I've found it (and your other blog and FB posts) entertaining and informative.)

Steve

Return to “Instruments”