Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

To the developers , you might want to fix an issue that has been there since the beginning , I have reported it numerous times but no one seemed to fix or care about it .
In modern 24 bit mode , algoritm 5 and 6 behave exactly the same , algoritm 6 ( which has 2 operators in the feedback loop ) behaves exactly like algoritm 5 ( only one operator in feedback loop )

Algoritm 4 in 24 bit mode is also wrong ( 3 operators in feedback loop ) when compared to original dx7 or mark 1 settings .

Cheers :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Thanks a lot to the team for the great work updating Dexed to the new standards. Just a minor request as I see you will be releasing an official VST3 version soon: Would it be technically possible for the final release to maintain for the VST3 version the same VST ID used on the old VST2 version? This way we would get straight compatibility with old songs and .vstpresets saved with the VST2. I'm asking for this as I've just tested the current VST3 nightly and, at least in Cubase 10.5, it is not replacing the VST2 but recognized as a completely different plugin.

Sahul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:02 pm Thanks a lot to the team for the great work updating Dexed to the new standards. Just a minor request as I see you will be releasing an official VST3 version soon: Would it be technically possible for the final release to maintain for the VST3 version the same VST ID used on the old VST2 version? This way we would get straight compatibility with old songs and .vstpresets saved with the VST2. I'm asking for this as I've just tested the current VST3 nightly and, at least in Cubase 10.5, it is not replacing the VST2 but recognized as a completely different plugin.
This is a good question and one I wish we had done with surge. I just looked though and JUCE support for this is odd. I will ask on the JUCE forums and see if I can figure out how to do this.

baconpaul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am And in the tx 81z comment you may have noticed the sin oscillator in surge 1.7.0 now supports all the tx81z waveforms. But we only have 3 oscillators so I couldn’t make lately bass quite right.
O, well....there always is the sine-only Solid Bass approximation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LcJsiNkpb4

I get a
"Skin Support Error - Default skin not located. Surge is probably mis-installed"
in the latest 1.7.0 Mac version.
The plugin loads and plays fine and has its default skin. The message is annoying though...
It happens each time I open the plugin window btw...
Last edited by Tj Shredder on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baconpaul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:17 pm
Sahul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:02 pm Thanks a lot to the team for the great work updating Dexed to the new standards. Just a minor request as I see you will be releasing an official VST3 version soon: Would it be technically possible for the final release to maintain for the VST3 version the same VST ID used on the old VST2 version? This way we would get straight compatibility with old songs and .vstpresets saved with the VST2. I'm asking for this as I've just tested the current VST3 nightly and, at least in Cubase 10.5, it is not replacing the VST2 but recognized as a completely different plugin.
This is a good question and one I wish we had done with surge. I just looked though and JUCE support for this is odd. I will ask on the JUCE forums and see if I can figure out how to do this.
Are you talking about making the VST3 VST ID the same as the original VST2.x VST ID from Pascal?

I guess this wouldn't be a problem if the two forks are "merged" and one developer stops maintaining it, but couldn't it be an issue if the forks diverge again? (This is the first "forked" plug-in I've used where the other version is still(?) being developed, so I'm not entirely sure how this would work, or how big a can of worms could be opened here.)

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 pm I get a
"Skin Support Error - Default skin not located. Surge is probably mis-installed"
in the latest 1.7.0 Mac version.
The plugin loads and plays fine and has its default skin. The message is annoying though...
I think you're in the wrong forum. Surge is at v1.7.0; this is the forum for Dexed, which is somewhere around v.94.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Oh, sorry, I was so excited about the MPEfication made by the Surge team...

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 pm I get a
you're in the wrong forum
but the solution for your problem can be found here (in the correct surge-forum):
viewtopic.php?p=7844866#p7844866

it works :-)

Yeah and in 1.7.1 (and the current nightly) that condition will be smarter (if you have two copies of resources we use the newest). But blow away or rename ~/Library/Application Support/Surge and you should be good to go.

planetearth wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:18 pm Are you talking about making the VST3 VST ID the same as the original VST2.x VST ID from Pascal?

I guess this wouldn't be a problem if the two forks are "merged" and one developer stops maintaining it, but couldn't it be an issue if the forks diverge again? (This is the first "forked" plug-in I've used where the other version is still(?) being developed, so I'm not entirely sure how this would work, or how big a can of worms could be opened here.)

Steve
The synth is not forked in a permanent sense by us. The only production builds come from pascal.

There are plenty of other forks of dexed around but we started our changes committed to merging back to the main branch. We made our nightly available so we could test it in our team before we sent Pascal the PR.

We are talking here about making the VST3 ID one that allows you to drop the VST3 into a track with a compliant DAW when you no longer have the VST2. It is no longer possible for open source developers to release a binary VST2 and be license compliant (which is why Surge 1.7.0 only has a VST3 and AU also).

Best

baconpaul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:17 pm This is a good question and one I wish we had done with surge. I just looked though and JUCE support for this is odd. I will ask on the JUCE forums and see if I can figure out how to do this.
Thanks for considering it. I may suggest that you contact Fabien@Tokyo Dawn Labs or Patrick@Togu Audio Line if you need additional information, as both companies released recently VST3 versions of their entire plugin line with perfect VST2 compatibility. Also, I think they both use JUCE.

Sahul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 pm Thanks for considering it. I may suggest that you contact Fabien@Tokyo Dawn Labs or Patrick@Togu Audio Line if you need additional information, as both companies released recently VST3 versions of their entire plugin line with perfect VST2 compatibility. Also, I think they both use JUCE.
Yeah I asked on the juce forum because if you use JUCE and have a VST2 license, you can do it easily. But if you have JUCE and don't have a VST2 license, it doesn't compile, but the section with the ID management doesn't actually require a VST2 license. So JUCE makes it super duper easy to do this *if* you have a license that we don't. I think I see a path for that to change but let me see what forum folks say. I find the Juce devs super responsive generally so will see. And of course, then Pascal has to agree even if we can make the change!

x64 only?

Dexed is worth a payware version IMO.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

baconpaul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:52 pm
Sahul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 pm Thanks for considering it. I may suggest that you contact Fabien@Tokyo Dawn Labs or Patrick@Togu Audio Line if you need additional information, as both companies released recently VST3 versions of their entire plugin line with perfect VST2 compatibility. Also, I think they both use JUCE.
Yeah I asked on the juce forum because if you use JUCE and have a VST2 license, you can do it easily. But if you have JUCE and don't have a VST2 license, it doesn't compile, but the section with the ID management doesn't actually require a VST2 license. So JUCE makes it super duper easy to do this *if* you have a license that we don't. I think I see a path for that to change but let me see what forum folks say. I find the Juce devs super responsive generally so will see. And of course, then Pascal has to agree even if we can make the change!
Is there a way to help out? I have a VST2 license which I asked for in time just in case. But I have no experience in compiling that stuff...

Return to “Instruments”