Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
148 posts since 3 Jan, 2012

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Wow, it's confusing to me how or why one FM synth can sound warmer than another, but this VST does indeed sound really warm. Juicy, almost. I did a little sample of using 2 OPs with feedback on the modulator and whipped up an ultra fat bass in almost no time.

I don't know what is different here, but it is working, big time!
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

http://www.mattcreameraudio.com

KVRAF
4818 posts since 6 May, 2002

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:56 pm

I do not like the new GUI over the original. The CTRLR DX7 Editor is much clearer to read with faders and numerical values instead of knobs.
http://ctrlr.org/yamaha-tx7-beta/
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

KVRist
149 posts since 20 Dec, 2013 from Montreal

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Huh... no, I don't see the point of close sourcing this project. I would have to re-write some part of the code and buy off the JUCE license; for maybe an extra buck ? No, I will use my time on other projects than wasting it on this in the closed source form.

I might add a "donation" or a "send your local beer / buy beer if you are in town" button; but the software will stay on the GPL license.

In 2 years, maybe a retired programmer will join-in the project and tune the engine even more to get it closer to the real DX7 (yep, there is still tuning to do). To me, that's more important than the extra dollars I could make. Everbody will benefit this, including me.
fmr wrote:Any future development will always depend on the developer will, nothing else. That said, of course some donations will always be encouraging
No, future development will always depend on *multiple / different / free as freedom* developers. This thing is open source: maybe in one year, I will be working for a lame client in another country with no free time left for this project. Somebody else can chime in and make the modifications.

I have nothing against close source plugin software, but I don't see any point in selling this.

As for the new features, it will be the cartridge manager (with 4-op patch convert) and ... that's about it; it is a DX7 emulation. What will be next then ? engine tuning and nothing more than engine tuning (and bug fixing :D).
DrewDale wrote:Is there a download link for the fixed version?
I'll release it in the coming days, still have some other bugs; then it will be the official 0.8.0 version.
fmr wrote:I don't know. That will break compatibility with DX7, which was the main factor to build this, I think. I would rather have the DX7 II. To have an FM synth with filters and effects, we already have FM8.
Yep!
Norrin_Radd wrote:Wow, it's confusing to me how or why one FM synth can sound warmer than another, but this VST does indeed sound really warm. Juicy, almost. I did a little sample of using 2 OPs with feedback on the modulator and whipped up an ultra fat bass in almost no time.

I don't know what is different here, but it is working, big time!
Thanks !!!! :P

Do you find that the Modern engine or the OPL Series engine sounds better ? Especially for bass ?

KVRAF
1500 posts since 13 Sep, 2012

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:44 am

Someone mentioned earlier that a lot of presets are "clicky" in FL Studio. Sadly, I have to confirm that.
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

fmr
KVRAF
9950 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:50 am

electro wrote:I do not like the new GUI over the original. The CTRLR DX7 Editor is much clearer to read with faders and numerical values instead of knobs.
You think the example you gave is clearer and better than the current GUI? :o
Fernando (FMR)

fmr
KVRAF
9950 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:30 am

idfpower wrote:Someone mentioned earlier that a lot of presets are "clicky" in FL Studio. Sadly, I have to confirm that.
I tested several banks in the past couple of days, and never experienced a single click. There must be some kind of problem with the gain in some hosts, but it probably is host related.
Fernando (FMR)

KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:13 am

fmr wrote: I tested several banks in the past couple of days, and never experienced a single click. There must be some kind of problem with the gain in some hosts, but it probably is host related.
It could be DAW related, yes (it wouldn't be the 1st time a certain synth sounds "clicky" in FL Studio); thing is, in this case you hear the clicks when the notes change in piano roll, it's not constant noise - just at the beginning of the note. And btw I'm talking about the presets in the synth's factory bank, not 3rd party.

Usually when I encounter this kind of problem in FL it's either constant crackle or digital clipping (although the CPU load is very low); so this is different.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

KVRAF
4524 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:16 am

I use Mulab (with or without Mux) versions 5 and 6 and Reaper version 4.73 and Cantabile version 2 and RapidComposer 2.8b1 (I make and test my collection of sysex files with all these environments). And I have never met any click with Dexed.

My opinion is that the issue is not in Dexed but either in FL Studio (I can't test it, I don't have it) or much more certainly in a parameter badly tweaked or an overload of something (RAM, CPU, Asio buffer...).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:59 am

BlackWinny wrote:My opinion is that the issue is not in Dexed but either in FL Studio (I can't test it, I don't have it) or much more certainly in a parameter badly tweaked or an overload of something (RAM, CPU, Asio buffer...).
You can exclude RAM/CPU/Asio issues (almost no CPU load, using Asio drivers, etc).

There must be something in either FL Studio or indeed a parameter that's triggering that behaviour...here's how it sounds like:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/gupvffw6qpfp9n1/ex.wav

KVRAF
4524 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:04 am

idfpower wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:My opinion is that the issue is not in Dexed but either in FL Studio (I can't test it, I don't have it) or much more certainly in a parameter badly tweaked or an overload of something (RAM, CPU, Asio buffer...).
You can exclude RAM/CPU/Asio issues (almost no CPU load, using Asio drivers, etc).

There must be something in either FL Studio or indeed a parameter that's triggering that behaviour...here's how it sounds like:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/gupvffw6qpfp9n1/ex.wav
It's curious, it looks like chanted a bit like a rhythm of a percussion.
:hyper:

You could tell us what is the exact content of the part?

At least the bank/preset used in that short part (to try to reproduce the issue), with the maximum of precision, and even potentially the same precisions concerning another possible instrument used simultaneously.

Also... is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

And with all that, if some other members could try to test the same with their own FL Studio... I think that it could help to grasp a clue.

Another good solution, if you agree, would be to publish your FL Studio file, for the attention of the other FL Studio owners.

And also we could compare with exactly the same content... in other DAWs.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:58 am

It's factory preset no. 14: ANALOG 1. Stock (no parameter modified whatsoever).

Dexed 32-bit (FL Studio 11; running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit / ASIO4ALL v2.11 Beta 2).

KVRAF
4818 posts since 6 May, 2002

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:13 am

fmr wrote:
electro wrote:I do not like the new GUI over the original. The CTRLR DX7 Editor is much clearer to read with faders and numerical values instead of knobs.
You think the example you gave is clearer and better than the current GUI? :o
Absolutely, it has numerical display of each parameter and vertical sliders are much preferable to knobs.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

KVRian
671 posts since 14 Jan, 2014 from The North.

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:14 pm

idfpower wrote:It's factory preset no. 14: ANALOG 1. Stock (no parameter modified whatsoever).

Dexed 32-bit (FL Studio 11; running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit / ASIO4ALL v2.11 Beta 2).
Just tried the patch in question and I am getting a nice smooth attack to this patch. I am running Windows 8.1 Pro (32bit) / ASIO4ALL v2.10 / 2Gb Ram (yes very low ram) / Intel Dual CPU E2160 / @1,8Ghz. All of the patches both in the preset banks (SynpreZ) and ones found off the web are all OK for me. And my comp is very under powered and could use more of everything.

Perhaps the ASIO4ALL beta could be the problem ?
Last edited by DrewDale on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:tu: All is good

KVRian
671 posts since 14 Jan, 2014 from The North.

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:17 pm

electro wrote: Absolutely, it has numerical display of each parameter and vertical sliders are much preferable to knobs.
Looks OK but imagine how much of a mind blower 144 sliders would be on Dexed :o
Plus having to scroll though menu pages to get to parameters would be a pain in the butt too :(

I think the new GUI is awesome and gives the synth the class look it deserves (as do many people) In my opinion if people bought the original DX7 based on looks, FM would have been doomed :hihi:
:tu: All is good

KVRist
414 posts since 21 Jan, 2007

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:14 pm

How do you link the AMS of an operator to the mod wheel?

I'm following along in the Chowning FM manual and I'm stuck at the second example because Midi CC #1 is hooked to the main vibrato of Dexed, not to the A Mod Sens.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~damont/C ... ations.pdf
(page 13)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Return to “Instruments”