IK Multimedia SampleTank 3.0 warning - it's 64-bit only

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:No, chokehold, but SampleTank 3 will clearly not run on them natively as clearly stated in the twice-quoted statement above (and on the Specs page). And any announcements either said "64-bit compatibility" or linked directly to the SampleTank page that has been quoted twice above already with a clear indication it is a 64-bit plugin.
that's the thing. it says it's 64 bit plugin. what it doesn't say is that it's 64-bit *only* plugin. as i said multiple times already, the default assumption is that 32-bit is supported, so it's really silly to say "it never said 32 bit was supported" when in fact that goes without saying, unless stated otherwise. and that "otherwise" wasn't stated clearly.
Last edited by Burillo on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

budweiser wrote:^^ 32 bit is dead, so not strange at all !
32-bit apps run perfectly well on all of my 64-bit Win7 and OSX 10.7/10.8/10.9 machines...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Ok, seems all the fault is on me because I did not read the fine prints... I am not so smart as all the people here who are running their DAW in 64 bit. That's ok I learned my lesson... again...

Why every other software I buy I get screwed somehow ? Is it because I solely relied on IK Multimedia's reputation ? Because I was so satisfied with SampleTank 2.5 that I blindly send my money as soon as I saw version 3 was available without reading the bullet list ?

Shame on me for not reading ALL the fine print and understanding that if it does not say 32 bit it is not because it is usually implicit. And shame on me that even if I read the fine print now and read "64 bit", I fail to understand it means "64 bit only"!

I understand IK Multimeda's employee doing their job defending the point of view of their employer even if they do deep inside understand the tactic is wrong. Why don't they simply write a bold red letter warning on the page ?

My goal here was to prevent any other stupid people like me to buy the damn thing not fully knowing the limitation of this plugin...

Thank you !

mpoirier wrote: I understand IK Multimeda's employee doing their job defending the point of view of their employer even if they do deep inside understand the tactic is wrong. Why don't they simply write a bold red letter warning on the page ?
Please DO NOT assume what I "deep inside understand" and I'm not defending but pointing out where we state this on our site - this is no "tactic" and I do not feel it is "wrong". Big bold red letter warnings are not likely to be posted on any professional web site but thank you for your suggestion (I will forward it but assume hopefully that you also made constructive suggestions in your direct communication with IK already?). You can always continue to show your dissatisfaction with how this information was presented to you in the communication you've already established with IK, I am sure they are not happy having sold something to someone who cannot use it as intended.

:D Once the question was "why ST2 only 32bit?!". Nowadays "why ST3 only 64bit?!". It's the "Logic X" trend: in a year or two brand new products will be only 64 bit. By the way Mpoirier and the others are right: IKM had to be clear about this. And even about old ST2 transfer license once the original owner upgraded. Does the serial become "brand new" so that the new owner can also upgrade to ST3? It is not clear at all, please make a PUBLIC disclaimer! It is not enough to reply "please contact support via e-mail"...

mhog wrote::D Once the question was "why ST2 only 32bit?!". Nowadays "why ST3 only 64bit?!". It's the "Logic X" trend: in a year or two brand new products will be only 64 bit. By the way Mpoirier and the others are right: IKM had to be clear about this. And even about old ST2 transfer license once the original owner upgraded. Does the serial become "brand new" so that the new owner can also upgrade to ST3? It is not clear at all, please make a PUBLIC disclaimer! It is not enough to reply "please contact support via e-mail"...
We are clear about it being 64-bit (posted numerous times in this thread) and have people available to answer pre-sales questions as always. A free version (no import) is coming soon too which will help and people have been told about this too - in public. The transfer question is perfectly legitimate to be sent to support as they will look at your account specifically and let you know if there is anything outside of our posted information about license transfer such as found at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/1111

I understand your diplomacy, but come on... It was less difficult to add a simple "please note that there is no 32bit version, ST3 works only in 64bit environments..." under the features list and another "please note that..." for ST2 original owners (example: "please note that only original boxed ST2 licenses can be transferred" or whatever).

mhog wrote:I understand your diplomacy, but come on... It was less difficult to add a simple "please note that there is no 32bit version, ST3 works only in 64bit environments..." under the features list and another "please note that..." for ST2 original owners (example: "please note that only original boxed ST2 licenses can be transferred" or whatever).
I understand, but we do state it early on the main product page and clearly in the specs, that's all I was saying. I know that the free version will clear up a lot of things too, so I'm happy that should be here in a week or so from what I'm told. As far as I know there is no transfer policy change (so your example is not correct but I realize it was merely an example) and we're not really going to get into that on a product page - we have a FAQ and a team ready to answer specific questions for those interested in selling their plugins.

mhog wrote:I understand your diplomacy, but come on... It was less difficult to add a simple "please note that there is no 32bit version, ST3 works only in 64bit environments..." under the features list and another "please note that..." for ST2 original owners (example: "please note that only original boxed ST2 licenses can be transferred" or whatever).
It could then be posted on teh interwebz along with these:

If you mess with it, don't say you were not informed about the risks:

On the ST3 specs page, it says:

"SampleTank is a 64-bit Plug-in and requires a 64 bit CPU and Operating System."

Seems pretty clear to me.

*Contains samples, yet no tanks. Not even samples OF tanks. War reenactment enthusiasts will not likely be satisfied. Unless said war did not use tanks. Though they still may not be satisfied because why does a war reenactment enthusiast really want to use a sound and groove workstation anyway? Who are we to argue, though, if there's a need there please enjoy the tankless samples. You also cannot sell the tanks that are not included but the previous tanks will follow the existing "tank transfer policy" but if you upgraded said tank and authorization checks for that previous tank during installation/authorization, you may run into issues (as you may have already guessed) so please contact our tank experts directly. Tank you very much.

Examigan wrote:On the ST3 specs page, it says:

"SampleTank is a 64-bit Plug-in and requires a 64 bit CPU and Operating System."

Seems pretty clear to me.
Posted a screenshot of that on page 2, but was told that people do not check specs pages or something like that. :shrug:

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:*Contains samples, yet no tanks. Not even samples OF tanks. War reenactment enthusiasts will not likely be satisfied. Unless said war did not use tanks. Though they still may not be satisfied because why does a war reenactment enthusiast really want to use a sound and groove workstation anyway? Who are we to argue, though, if there's a need there please enjoy the tankless samples. You also cannot sell the tanks that are not included but the previous tanks will follow the existing "tank transfer policy" but if you upgraded said tank and authorization checks for that previous tank during installation/authorization, you may run into issues (as you may have already guessed) so please contact our tank experts directly. Tank you very much.
Dammit I demand at least a Sherman Filtertank!

aMUSEd wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:*Contains samples, yet no tanks. Not even samples OF tanks. War reenactment enthusiasts will not likely be satisfied. Unless said war did not use tanks. Though they still may not be satisfied because why does a war reenactment enthusiast really want to use a sound and groove workstation anyway? Who are we to argue, though, if there's a need there please enjoy the tankless samples. You also cannot sell the tanks that are not included but the previous tanks will follow the existing "tank transfer policy" but if you upgraded said tank and authorization checks for that previous tank during installation/authorization, you may run into issues (as you may have already guessed) so please contact our tank experts directly. Tank you very much.
Dammit I demand at least a Sherman Filtertank!
We may have access to a rare "Sherman T. PotterTank" so stay tuned.

Edit - I found the preset list:

Return to “Instruments”