What software are you really using currently?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

REAPER
built in or freeware FX Broadcast Loudmax etc
1st place all the Cherry Audio synths mostly
2nd place tie between Diva/Repro, and Arturia 8.2 set depending on mood and need

- Still immersed in Bitwig (Ableton user)

- Serum-Vital (feels like one instrument with two layouts)

- Diva (Using Repro more and more though…)

- Omnisphere as needed.

- Atlas 2, Microtonic

- Valhalla, Fabfilter, Sonimus, Audiority,
The Glue

BUT

“Experimenting” using only BWG tools….
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Kontakt, MuTonic, MXXX, Zebra, Zebra HZ, Bazille, Onnisphere, Absynth, and FM8. Lots of Bitwig Grid, Bitwig polysynth, and the Bitwig sampler in Granular mode. Also been building tons of custom kits on Maschine with the built in drum synths and built on FX. Can't think of anything else that fits in the "Instruments Forum".
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

From 2014-
JonSolo wrote: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:03 pm This should technically be a long list but I'll keep with the current heavy usage-

DAW and Editing-

Cubase 7.5
Wavelab Elements 8

Instruments-

Kontakt 5
Spire
Serum
Battery 4
Reactor (for Razor and now Rounds)
Trilian (now that I have it!!!)
Addictive Drums 2
Sylenth
Alchemy
Zebra2
(I use many many more but those are appearing on much of my music)

Effects-
Cosmos
BBE Sonic Suite
T-Racks 3
Uhbik
Alloy 2
Nectar 2
Stutter Edit
(and again many others but these are most common for me)

Jon
So what has changed (not much...only listing the changes):

DAW and Editing-

Nuendo 11
Ableton 11 Suite with Push 2
Wavelab 10

Instruments-

Halion 6
Arturia V8
Rob Papen Explorer 6
Roland Cloud

Effects-

Fabfilter Bundle

Again I use a ton more (plus the originals).

For drums, Atlas 2 has pretty much displaced Maschine and Battery as my go-tos.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

DAW wise, Digital Performer - Clip, old school linear, articulation mapping, and the Chunks concept keep me using it.

Instruments, The staples for me are Falcon and Kontakt.
[It's not surprising when I think about it, I started off using samplers as the basis for songs in the 80's.]

With a rotating cast of:
Diva, Zebra, Plasmonic, Pigments, Lion, Knifonium, String Studio, V-Collection. Atlas is replacing most drum machine solutions these days. Love the developer.

Tracktion 7 for DAW. eXe ClassicM or SwankyAmp with guitars, Ampeg SVTVR Classic with bass, both with Mercuriall Cab -- I'm all about touch-sensitivity. Pianoteq for pianos (especially electric). Compression is rarely and very lightly used, usually CA-2A or another opto simulation. P&M EchoFlex, Arturia Rev-Plate 140, and/or Ambient Reverb for, well, colored reverb and echo -- and who needs one which isn't? I don't need much: I'm interested in good songs, not gonzo production.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Is it sad that "what synths are you using currently?" and "what synths actually end up in your tracks?" have two very different answers for me?

No. :) Unless you feel sad about it, of course.

Picked up Arturia VC 8 upgrade a couple of weeks ago on sale. Arturia has really stepped up sonically. I've been putting energy into integrating a few of their soft synths and FX Collection into a MainStage / SL MKIII setup. While I've been leaning in there.. my hardware synths and other soft synths are sidelined :)

DAW wise I've been bouncing between Bitwig and Mixbus.
Since I'm getting more into the nuts & bolts of these, I can't say I'm getting any recording done that I feel are worth saving. But what I'm using in these exercises seem to be mostly Pianoteq, Bazille, Diva and/or Hive 2.
And Alchemy 1 still gets it's place. Have also stopped using some of the built-in and free effects (compressors mostly) and have switched to ones I feel are better in that I can use them with any DAW on any OS. So Presswerk, Dubstation2 & ODCities have gotten a lot of use as well.
Just added added a Mojopedals to my setup and have started making some starting templates in Bitwig and Cubase with my three main controllers. Still generally in that place of rethinking my entire process though.

Falcon – all week.

This is an interesting time for me. Walked away from composing/orchestrating in Nuendo for a moment to catch my breath.

TOTALLY enjoying Reason and doing some fun electronica things for a change. Revisiting a few synths I haven't played with in awhile like Spire and Dune.

Cubase, Toontrack EZ Drummer 2, EZkeys, Magix Independence Pro, Kontakt, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster 2, Vacuum Pro
and my Guitars... Don't need much else really.
Last edited by Mikelo on Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

constantly using the Vyzex editor for my Venom harware synth. That count?
FL Studio (composing) Reaper (remixing, recording) and Cakewalk (recording, arranging).
Soft synths would be a lot of free stuff honestly. I don't know why exactly but there's not anything that really gets used that I bought. Except maybe ShortCircuit 1, which I bought when it first came out. It became free after a time, but it used to be $160 or something.
Free stuff I use:
TAL Bassline
Surge
Some magazine-ware too: Thorn Beat Edition, and Uhe Beatzille get some use.
Some weird old Commodore type thing from Odo Synths is in my latest.
Recording vox this past week I used BlockFish, and Spitfish. But I have in everything since about 2004 haha
OH, and always ErsDrums. And a lot of Sytrus lately, that thing is still great.
All the old TBT stuff -- pocket limiter and the like.
TAL Reverb 2.
ArcDev ET-301 has been in everything I've done since... ArcDev ET-201
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Return to “Instruments”