One Synth Challenge #68: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

z.prime wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:... There have been many synths that have not been chosen even twice so far...
Have you submitted a Synth1 entry?
Of course not. Is the goal to make everyone submit an entry for every synth? :)
I was simply a bit surprised when I read that thread title, that's all...

I have to say I really appreciate the opportunity to have a go with this classic synth. Having been in OSC for only 1 year I had not encountered it yet.
Also it provided a bit of an opportunity to look back at those previous challenges, which are still worth a listen! :D

I, too, am grateful for motivation to play with the new Synth1 version. I've used the previous one in a couple tracks, but 1.13 already adds some compelling features (especially the 303 filter 8) ). I also missed both prior Synth1 challenges. My only concern is that the competition will presumably be exceptionally fierce this month. :x

Also, I suspect the constraint is more Mac support than 64-bit support, as I believe most DAWs will either JBridge well or let you install 32-bit and 64-bit versions side-by-side. I certainly don't have anywhere close to an encyclopaedic knowledge of free synths, but just thinking of Full Bucket, HGFortune, xhip, and a few others that get buzz on the Instruments forum from time to time, I'm sure there's easily a year's worth of decent free untapped synths that, alas, may never make OSC due to being Windows-only. And TBH, if every year included a Synth1 comp, an Any comp, a CM comp, an OBXD comp, and, say a TAL or HGF comp, leaving only 6 new synths a year, I think OSC'd still be awesome. :hyper:

psmacmur wrote:... TBH, if every year included a Synth1 comp, an Any comp, a CM comp, an OBXD comp, and, say a TAL or HGF comp, leaving only 6 new synths a year, I think OSC'd still be awesome. :hyper:
+1 that! :)

psmacmur wrote:TBH, if every year included a Synth1 comp, an Any comp, a CM comp, an OBXD comp, and, say a TAL or HGF comp, leaving only 6 new synths a year, I think OSC'd still be awesome. :hyper:
+1 yeah, what a year it's been :!:

TED209 wrote:I'm not able to load up the AU into Logic Pro
It doesn't work as a 32 bit plugin in Plogue Bidule either: it generates sound, but the GUI doesn't show up. They could just as well have chosen a PC/VST only plugin.

FLWrd wrote:
TED209 wrote:I'm not able to load up the AU into Logic Pro
It doesn't work as a 32 bit plugin in Plogue Bidule either: it generates sound, but the GUI doesn't show up. They could just as well have chosen a PC/VST only plugin.
It *does* work fine for me as VST 32-bit on OSX 10.9, Bitwig. Have you tried the VST version (for a host that supports VST, of course)?

fluffy_little_something wrote:
z.prime wrote:
Chris-S wrote::tu:
Time to rename the OSC to SOC (Synth One Challenge).
:D
Yeah, seems they are running out of synths or ideas :)
Hey Fluffy, not sure what what you mean here? If you have constructive ideas, PM me.

z.prime wrote:with Swierk). Commercial software can usually not be used in OSC, so there is not that much left...
Actually I have about 50+ synths left! Sorry, we haven't run out :)

bjporter wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:with Swierk). Commercial software can usually not be used in OSC, so there is not that much left...
50 that have not been selected for a OSC before?! :o

bjporter wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:with Swierk). Commercial software can usually not be used in OSC, so there is not that much left...
50 that have not been selected for a OSC before?! :o
Yup! Thanks to V'ger who actually did a lot of the leg work, not to mention people like Animehaus and others who gave us amazing suggestions too.

Cool. So what are you saving them for? 50 months is about 4 years :o Some of them will have disappeared by then without ever having been selected for a OSC :wink:

fluffy_little_something wrote:Cool. So what are you saving them for? 50 months is about 4 years :o Some of them will have disappeared by then without ever having been selected for a OSC :wink:
You'll just have to find out! :hyper:

A couple questions::

* Is the LPDL filter only for the Windows version?

* Is there a way to reset a knob to default on the Mac version?

bftucker wrote:If you haven't yet listened to the BigTone Synth 1 presets...you should!
I was most impressed.
Oh man, yep, you're right about that... some of those patches are very nice. I might have to use patch inspiration this month instead of designing every single sound... I can almost listen to "BT the pad" all day long. lol..

Return to “Instruments”