Codex vs Serum

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Codex Wavetable Synth Serum

chk071 wrote:So how to understand this WUP thing? I register Codex today, and get one year of updates, and after that, i won't receive any more updates for Codex, if there are any?
Correct, and when the WUP has ended, you are not allowed to transfer the license either.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

You will receive all the V9 updates untill there is new V10 version. If V10 is released within your one year WUP period you will of course get the V10 (and all updates for that version).

About your installation problem: well I think in that case the WUP for LinPhaseMB should have been enough to get support, installing it was the cause of the problem.
Last edited by sonicpowa on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ok, thanks. :) Guess a license transfer wouldn't make much sense for a $21,90 purchase anyway. :D

Bit harsh BTW, only 1 year of updates, and then you have to pay for further updates... although i don't know any other company which does sales so frequently. Makes me wonder a bit about the regular prices though.

You don´t have to pay V9 updates. For example I have about 4 years old V9 plugins and I receive all the updates.

Yeah, my bad. What i meant is that you have to pay for further new version updates.

Just played around a bit with Codex BTW, after being annoyed that you neither can choose where to install Waves Central, nor where to install the plugins. Quite disapointed TBH. What are Waves smoking that they charge $199 regularly for this synth? Seriously, about every freeware synth released in the last 10 years sounds better to my ears. And the parameter ranges could do with a lot finer resolution, the whole GUI feels sluggish too. Filters: Bad and digital sounding. And the raw waveforms sound as if there would be cap on the sound, very canny. Oh well, i should have known when even Beat mag, and CM mag write in their reviews that the sound could be better. Anyway, fair enough for that price, it was worth a shot. Don't think i'll keep it installed though.

Codex was advertised for $35 today, but what really caught my eyes in the Waves Synth Day ad is the screen shot. "What? Waves bought Serum?" (Never heard of Codex till now.)

Oh, OK, so it's a Serum look-alike at a fraction of the cost. Bit it needs Windows 10 and Live 10, neither of which I look forward to upgrade to. And there is also the unpleasantry of dealing with iLok, on top... nah. But for a few moments I was really stumped, thinking Waves bought Serum. :lol:

Are you drunk?!

mrdelurk wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:45 pm And there is also the unpleasantry of dealing with iLok, on top... nah.
No iLok with Codex. Waves has its own authorization system: Waves Central.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Codex looks nothing like Serum. Also, it's been around for six years.
Last edited by teilo on Sun May 24, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

[dupe]

6 years later and at least at the moment Codex is insanely cheaper at $35, but definitely shows its age quite a bit more.
Take care :wink:

consordini wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:52 am 6 years later and at least at the moment Codex is insanely cheaper at $35, but definitely shows its age quite a bit more.
I find myself using both Serum and Codex a lot. It's kind of like Codex split the difference between Serum and Sylenth in terms of the true one-window approach with mostly fixed assignments. It reminds me a bit more of hardware wavetable synths, although those are doing it out of cost/necessity whereas Codex seemed to choose to simplify a bit.

What a joke. Codex is so far beyond serum it's not even a contest. 50 years from now Codex will be it's own well-established musical genre, while Serum will be forgotten, lost decades earlier in a pile of cow manure.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

You are right briefcasemanx, when I heard of Codex I already forgot about Serum. What's Serum?

I'd rather pay $200 on Serum than $30 on Codex. Why? Because Serum is way more easy to use, better sound quality, simple copy protection and can be used on more than one computer, even after a year. You can't get the same depth of editing your sound with Codex, it feels like it's a lite version of the free version of Serum. :lol:

I got Codex for free in a magazine promotion recently and for that price I'm impressed :p I'm using its wavetables in Vital and Serum, but my moments spent in Codex were not unpleasant ones and actually caused me to seek out more powerful wavetable synths. Thanks, Codex!

Return to “Instruments”