iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
fmr
KVRAF
10013 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:48 am

Ben H wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:What does this supposed to mean:
Iris 1 patches can be loaded in Iris 2, but because of all the new features in Iris 2, some parameters (like Modulation and sample locations) may need to be reassigned.
"may need to be", did they test this, could they be more clear, does it depend on the weather or the time-zone I live in?
Sounds to me like they are saying: "don't blame *us* if they don't sound the same and don't expect us to fix it either."

:shrug:
This isn't the first time a v2 of an instrument breaks compatibility with earlier versions patches. Actually, it happened countless times before, even recently. And it's not like v1 stops working. I bet we can have both installed at the same time (it works like that with all iZotope plug-ins).
Fernando (FMR)

KVRAF
2152 posts since 28 Jul, 2003

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:50 am

Yeah, I know.

But can you imagine the shit-storm say NI would cop, for example, if they told users that if they update to the latest version of Kontakt, their sounds might not sound the same anymore. :shrug:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

KVRAF
15603 posts since 12 Oct, 2008 from Here and there

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:53 am

Ben H wrote:Yeah, I know.

But can you imagine the shit-storm say NI would cop, for example, if they told users that if they update to the latest version of Kontakt, their sounds might not sound the same anymore. :shrug:
I could live with a sound difference, but manually reassigning modulation and FX routings to hundreds of patches is just not realistic time- and energy-wise, with FX plugins it's not such a mess, because not so many people rely on FX presets, but with instruments like Iris it's not a minor problem anymore.

KVRAF
32507 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:56 am

great/damn!

KVRAF
2152 posts since 28 Jul, 2003

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:56 am

Sampleconstruct wrote:
I could live with a sound difference, but manually reassigning modulation and FX routings to hundreds of patches is just not realistic time- and energy-wise, with FX plugins it's not such a mess, because not so many people rely on FX presets, but with instruments like Iris it's not a minor problem anymore.
Yeah, I understand where you are coming from.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

fmr
KVRAF
10013 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:59 am

Sampleconstruct wrote: I could live with a sound difference, but manually reassigning modulation and FX routings to hundreds of patches is just not realistic time- and energy-wise, with FX plugins it's not such a mess, because not so many people rely on FX presets, but with instruments like Iris it's not a minor problem anymore.
This is something worthing investigation before saying more, I guess. iZotope may very well have messed up the modulations, but at first sight I can't see why should they do that. If they just added modulations, the old ones "should" be there work as before (unless they removed them, which, again, I don't see a reason to). The fact that they give no guarantees doesn't imply, necessarily, that things will not work. Let's try out and see.

I think these statements about giving no guarantes have something to do with the "legal paranoia" that seems to be attacking the US society.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

KVRAF
1904 posts since 13 Oct, 2002

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:00 am

Sampleconstruct wrote:What does this supposed to mean:
Iris 1 patches can be loaded in Iris 2, but because of all the new features in Iris 2, some parameters (like Modulation and sample locations) may need to be reassigned.
"may need to be", did they test this, could they be more clear, does it depend on the weather or the time-zone I live in?
Technically, if the patch format from 1 can be loaded into 2 at all, there's no reason why they couldn't provide a conversion utility for the transition or even built in. I'm not at my comp right now but if the patch isn't encoded as to be illegible it should be possible to engineer this utility by a third party.

KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:07 am

fmr wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: I could live with a sound difference, but manually reassigning modulation and FX routings to hundreds of patches is just not realistic time- and energy-wise, with FX plugins it's not such a mess, because not so many people rely on FX presets, but with instruments like Iris it's not a minor problem anymore.
This is something worthing investigation before saying more, I guess. iZotope may very well have messed up the modulations, but at first sight I can't see why should they do that. If they just added modulations, the old ones "should" be there work as before (unless they removed them, which, again, I don't see a reason to). The fact that they give no guarantees doesn't imply, necessarily, that things will not work. Let's try out and see.

I think these statements about giving no guarantes have something to do with the "legal paranoia" that seems to be attacking the US society.
Sure, it's all based on assumption right now, I have to overcome myself first to test v2 though :)

KVRAF
1647 posts since 12 Dec, 2012 from Switzerland

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:08 am

MillerSam wrote:Great to see this but the price for the upgrade is not very small for existing user :S
No, it's not. 50 would have been suuuupah, or 70.

But at least this time it is an UPgrade
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

KVRAF
1853 posts since 22 Mar, 2002 from Timisoara, Romania

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:16 am

anyone could tell me if the v1 big problem of clicks in Control/Pitch/(one of the modes clicked - i dont remember the exact one) is gone?

KVRAF
1558 posts since 21 Dec, 2012

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:22 am

but when I see that you get Iris 2 for 167 dollar on JRR and wee pay 99 dollar for upgrade

Between 50-70 are good
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

KVRist
296 posts since 8 Dec, 2011 from Lebbeke, Belgium

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:28 am

MillerSam wrote:but when I see that you get Iris 2 for 167 dollar on JRR and wee pay 99 dollar for upgrade

Between 50-70 are good
+1, absolutely right, 50% of RTP is really expensive for an upgrade.

KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:29 am

MillerSam wrote:but when I see that you get Iris 2 for 167 dollar on JRR and wee pay 99 dollar for upgrade

Between 50-70 are good

That hurts... :cry:

KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:32 am

Alias9593 wrote:+1, absolutely right, 50% of RTP is really expensive for an upgrade.
That depends on the amount of new features

KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:35 am

So I caved, installed the demo, tried to import a patch from my subscription library: error message: Preset Import failed. Check to see if a preset with the same name already exists. LOL*****F**CK

Return to “Instruments”