iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

zzz00m wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:35 pm ...
Sorry what I meant was, when they are installed it is not possible to tell from within Iris 2, which are the Core sounds and which are the extra sounds, right? I've had Iris 2 for years but only looked into this recently

leeleema wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:24 pm
zzz00m wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:35 pm ...
Sorry what I meant was, when they are installed it is not possible to tell from within Iris 2, which are the Core sounds and which are the extra sounds, right? I've had Iris 2 for years but only looked into this recently
The Core sounds are assigned to the factory preset library.

As far as I know the extra samples reside in the folders you installed them to. You can "Click here to load a sample" in one of the waveform slots in Iris. It should let you browse and preview the extra sample folders.

Or click the little file folder icon next to the "Click here to load a sample" link. That should open a file browser (on Windows, to this path): "\iZotope\Iris 2 Library\Samples".

Browse the sample folder you want, and select the sample file to load in that waveform slot.

I don't see the core samples by default in either of these methods, but you could probably browse to their location on the drive and use them. But since I usually start with a factory preset and tweak it by adding some extras, I've never gone looking for the raw core samples.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:43 pm ...
Ah, thanks. That's what I was doing but I see know the issue is that those extra libraries do show up as folders but actually, the original core library samples don't show as being distinct. Are located they only located as patches in the patches folder?

In Iris you can save patches with the samples embedded in the patch, right click on the patch to show its content.

leeleema wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:51 pm
Ah, thanks. That's what I was doing but I see know the issue is that those extra libraries do show up as folders but actually, the original core library samples don't show as being distinct. Are located they only located as patches in the patches folder?
It appears that only the iZotope add-on sample libraries and third party sample folders appear as distinct in the sample browser.

zzz00m wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:05 pm
leeleema wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:51 pm
It appears that only the iZotope add-on sample libraries and third party sample folders appear as distinct in the sample browser.
That's what I thought. So the original 'core' and the 'add-on' libraries are totally mixed up in the folder structure after you install the add-on libraries. I've gone into it a third time this evening, traced samples in presets to original folders so I'm sure this is the case. Do you agree?

leeleema wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:53 pm
So the original 'core' and the 'add-on' libraries are totally mixed up in the folder structure after you install the add-on libraries. I've gone into it a third time this evening, traced samples in presets to original folders so I'm sure this is the case. Do you agree?
Not sure. The only way I could confirm that is to uninstall everything, then re-install step by step to check. I'm just not that motivated... :D

zzz00m wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:27 pm
leeleema wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:53 pm
So the original 'core' and the 'add-on' libraries are totally mixed up in the folder structure after you install the add-on libraries. I've gone into it a third time this evening, traced samples in presets to original folders so I'm sure this is the case. Do you agree?
Not sure. The only way I could confirm that is to uninstall everything, then re-install step by step to check. I'm just not that motivated... :D
Not necessary, just track back from the samples in the presets. That's what I did. And the 'add-on' samples can't be any where else, as when you choose to add or change a sample, they are located in the same place. Hence, they must all be jumbled up (core and 'add-on' samples) i.e when you install an add-on library, it allocates the samples within to an already set-up folder that is already used for the Core sounds. Must be the case, no?

^^^^
Yes, that seems right.

Thanks for the info
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

I don't know if this topic is still active, but for any Iris user still monitoring it I have a problem using Iris 2 and I'd appreciate any help or advice you can give.

I run a Windows 7 PC and my DAW is the latest version of Reaper. When I run Iris 2 either standalone or via either VST, the virtual keyboard built into Iris 2 shows keys pressed an octave higher than I am pressing on my M-Audio keyboard. If I use a mouse to trigger the virtual keyboard it also plays at an octave higher. I've checked many other VSTs which have a virtual keyboard display and also a Midi Chord Analyzer VST and the virtual keyboard built into Reaper and everything else reads my midi keyboard correctly.

I can't find any setting in Iris 2 that would "fool" Iris 2 into displaying and playing the correct keypress.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

Alan

There are several "standard" ways of numbering keys on a keyboard. This will vary depending on which one the developer used. The lowest C is C0 on some software, C-2 on others.

There's two things to consider here.

1/ The non-standard labelling of MIDI notes ( as tdm mentioned^^^)
Middle C can be labelled C3 or C4 (or sometimes C5) depending on the particular manufacturer/plugin.
But what we know for sure is that middle C is note 60.
If I play note 60 on my external keyboard, the C4 key in Iris is depressed.
Perhaps you are thinking of middle C as C3 (and likewise seeing it in REAPER's virtual keyboard and piano roll as C3).
You can change how REAPER labels it in Options> Preferences> Media> MIDI.

2/ In Iris, note 60 (labelled C4) doesn't always sound as middle C....it depends on the patch. E.G. with some of the bass patches C4 will trigger sounds lower than that. And with some patches, C4 will trigger layered samples E.G. both a C4 and C5 sample.

Yes, there doesn't seem to be an overall octave transpose facility in Iris, but you could always put the 'JS: MIDI Transpose Notes' plugin before Iris in the FX chain.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I'll check out the JS plugin - it's probably the best way forward for me.

Regards,

Alan

Hello. I've been trying to figure out one thing regarding randomization of the Filter Cutoff parameter in Iris 2. There are 5 LFOs, each one has the option to disable "Restart" functionality. I assigned LFO 1 to Filter Cutoff. I selected LFO from the menu: Iris 1 > Noise. Rate was set to around 0.030 Hz, so quite slow. I was surprised that LFO kept starting from the same place whenever I pressed a key on the controller. I was expecting Noise LFO to be truly free-running. Meaning that pressing a key would be completely independent from the LFO's position. Quote from the manual: " With restart turned off as long as a voice is playing in Iris that LFO will continue to oscillate." Can anyone confirm that there are no free-running LFOs in Iris 2? Ichiro Toda's Synth1 has this functionality. LFO in disco DSP OB-Xd is always free-running, which is great. Why not such advanced synthesizer from top shelf manufacturer?

Return to “Instruments”