iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

very courious about that...

michal.ochedowski wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 pm in Iris that LFO will continue to oscillate." Can anyone confirm that there are no free-running LFOs in Iris 2? Ichiro Toda's Synth1 has this functionality. LFO in disco DSP OB-Xd is always free-running, which is great. Why not such advanced synthesizer from top shelf manufacturer?
strange...
here it is kind of erratic an inconsistent

with restart off
sometimes it seems to cycle freely
but then not...
somehow it seems to be conncted with the amp-env (E5) release
a keyboard re-hit within the release phase will not retrigger the lfo
but if the release is finished it retriggers...

seems to be a bug ?

also, with restart off the cutoff, which is a master cutoff is monophonic
(i.e.: not polyphonic)
but maybe that's intended behaviour...?

[quote=michal.ochedowski post_id=8101496 time=1620141070 user_id=432708]Why not such advanced synthesizer from top shelf manufacturer?[/quote]
Because it is essentially abandonware . . . at least as far as bug fixes are concerned.

Note: I have no idea why the quote doesn't show up in a shaded box. My posts didn't do this before.

I think there is a list of outstanding Iris 2 bugs somewhere here on this KVR thread. Since iZotope stopped development any bugs are probably here to stay. The best strategy is likely to be to use what works (a lot), and be aware of what doesn't, so that you don't waste time on them.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Thanks for your replies everyone. Using longer Release on the main amp envelope doesn't seem to work well, to keep LFO running without restarting. It quickly eats-up polyphony and adds unnecessary CPU cycles. It's good to know that any bugs old or new are not being addressed by iZotope. It's been over 6 years since the release of Iris 2, so I was only a little surprised with these news.

Man, this has so much exciting potential but learning that it's essentially abandonware isn't great!

I guess I'll just get what I can from it and be aware that it won't be getting any improvements or likely a followup.

Anyone have a suggestion for a synth as cool as this but, you know, maintained and cared about by the maker?

Agreed wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:14 pmMan, this has so much exciting potential
It is uniquely wonderful.
If you need more potential then: https://patchpool.net/izotope_iris.html
Do not take abandonware too seriously! Legendary sound designer Tim Conrardy maintained an Atari and Tim's Atari Midi World (http://atari-music.fddvoron.name. and its Music menu) so Iris can be cared for similarly.
Maybe perhaps iZotope's new alliance with Native Instruments will resuscitate Iris, but we know how fast NI is with updates.
Last edited by Michael L on Mon May 17, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:46 pm Maybe perhaps iZotope's new alliance with Native Instruments will resuscitate Iris, but we know how fast NI is with updates.
That would be really nice! Iris is one-of-a-kind unique, as far as I know! :tu:

zzz00m wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:52 pm
Michael L wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:46 pm Maybe perhaps iZotope's new alliance with Native Instruments will resuscitate Iris, but we know how fast NI is with updates.
That would be really nice! Iris is one-of-a-kind unique, as far as I know! :tu:
Catch 22 there. Absynth did get an update four months ago, but it had been years, and who knows if it will ever be VST3 with a resizable GUI? Hopefully that's not the case.

Michael L wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:46 pm It is uniquely wonderful.
If you need more potential then: https://patchpool.net/izotope_iris.html
Do not take abandonware too seriously! Legendary sound designer Tim Conrardy maintained an Atari and Tim's Atari Midi World (http://atari-music.fddvoron.name. and its Music menu) so Iris can be cared for similarly.
Maybe perhaps iZotope's new alliance with Native Instruments will resuscitate Iris, but we know how fast NI is with updates.
Thanks very much for this encouragement and links :) I've only got into digital synths this year and oh man it's become a huge focus, I can't get enough. And I just love working with Iris 2. I do hope that whatever circuitous route it may take we do someday get some form of update or followup but I'll certainly be enjoying it as I go regardless.

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:23 am I wonder why another such VST hasn't come about. Editing software has better spectrogram manipulating tools. There is great sound design potential.

I hope some day that there will be a synth that is SpectraLayers + Padshop 2 (apply granular manipulations to selections of spectrogram) + BT Phobos (cool convolver configurations) + Kaleidoscope/Moodal (a ton of resonators to use in clever ways) + Morph 2 (morphing algorithms that can be applied to selections of multiple spectrograms) + Aparillo (orbit type thing) + a nice set of effects and modulators with a grid like Zebra 2 or MSF. Oh, ya, and low CPU hit.
That would be monster to beat all monsters.
My feeling is that Spectralayers next version may be more like Iris.
Perhaps jus wishful thinking.

How about running several Spectralayers in Unify?
Hmm. Just wondering. :roll:

This is a random question, but, let's say I have Iris 2 on my laptop, And I installed the library to an external hard drive, in order to get access to the libraries on my Desktop, do you need to do the whole install the library thing again from the portal? Or can I just transfer the files from the hard drive to a library location of my choice, and point to it within the Iris software?

You can transfer the files and tell Iris the new location.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Sound Asleep wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:18 pm This is a random question, but, let's say I have Iris 2 on my laptop, And I installed the library to an external hard drive, in order to get access to the libraries on my Desktop, do you need to do the whole install the library thing again from the portal? Or can I just transfer the files from the hard drive to a library location of my choice, and point to it within the Iris software?
If you have already installed Iris 2, you can use the "Options" menu to set to the library location.

For example I have Iris installed on my C: drive, and the libraries are on my "D:\iZotope" path. No problem.

you point it from within Iris (to the external location)

(which afaik is "Iris 2 Library", "Patches" and "Samples")

Return to “Instruments”