One Synth Challenge #70: Ragnarök by Full Bucket and CrimsonWarlock (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ragnarök

Edit: sorry double posted again >.<

Just thought I'd share this one,
If you guys are trying to get a wide sound out of this one (it might be obvious to some of course...) duplicate your synth incl. automations and split it to hard left and hard right, works great with any mono synth I have :), just make sure you send them to the same bus and reduce CPU resources by processing them both at once.

And some thoughts I had for Crimson & Warlock, is it possible for the synth to have something like I mentioned in the synth itself? maybe a 'Dual' .dll version that splits internally two identical instances with a slight deviation in the phase or something to the two L-R outputs?

Also, I really missed some velocity control (dunno what it takes code wise...), could really be awesome addition to this awesome as is synth :)

And lastly, I had a weird bug in studio one with Ragnorak, every time it (studio one) autosaved all the active instances reset themselves and automation tracks were turned off, I just did a stop/play to fix this but it autosaves a lot on my setup (I configured it to autosave every two minutes, saves my life quite a bit)... it exported fine but it was kind of annoying at times :\
Studio One, DX21, Volca Keys/Bass/Beats, Alesis QX49, Focusrte Pro 24, Yamaha HS8, Samson C01

OneMillionToys wrote:Crimson & Warlock
No no... It's crimsonwarlock... ONE man, in ONE word.
:D
:phones:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:
OneMillionToys wrote:Crimson & Warlock
No no... It's crimsonwarlock... ONE man, in ONE word.
:phones:
No, it's two men, three words... CrimsonWarlock & Full Bucket. :hihi:

Cheers, Björn

@OneMillionToys: I used the same trick on "Hunted", my demo for the Mono/Fury... and wait till you see R. MkII :P

@OneMillionToys: duplicating and layering synth tracks is a tried, tested, and true OSC-winning trick. Personally, I'm lazy, so I just use Voxengo's Stereo Touch delay effect instead. I'm also using S1 (x64; 2.6.4 I think), but haven't seen that particular glitch. It doesn't surprise me though; Mono/Fury had a similar (maybe identical) problem on the S1 version that was current last September.

I find a useful production technique is to put the lead sound centre and then take your harmonies which go with that lead and delay them just a tad L+R (and am lazy using Twin Delay!!). This creates a nice wide sound stage, but has the added interest in that most of the notes are not the same as the lead in the centre!

I use lots of layering, like most, and I find you need 3 or more for most percussions. I often double the bass, with different EQ so I can tweak the overall perceived sound in the mix using 2 tracks of bass. In this one I have actually doubled the bass track and transposed one of them up 2 octaves to sit in the mid range (the MIDI of course not a pitch change!) - not that you'd notice it unless it was muted! Simply adds "something" into the mix - weird or what?

dB

On the stereo enhancement side of things, this one just got an update:

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/freewa ... reotool-v3

I also use DualPanner by Dustin at Sleepy time DSP ..in fact all of Dustin's vst are/(were :() excellent and great for OSC purposes.

http://sleepytimedsp.com/downloads

Thanks for the suggestion guys! And CrimsonWarlock & FullBucketMusic (Sorry for misreading that :) ) can't wait for the MkII!
Studio One, DX21, Volca Keys/Bass/Beats, Alesis QX49, Focusrte Pro 24, Yamaha HS8, Samson C01

OneMillionToys wrote:And some thoughts I had for Crimson & Warlock, is it possible for the synth to have something like I mentioned in the synth itself? maybe a 'Dual' .dll version that splits internally two identical instances with a slight deviation in the phase or something to the two L-R outputs?

Also, I really missed some velocity control (dunno what it takes code wise...), could really be awesome addition to this awesome as is synth :)
Full Bucket wrote:... and wait till you see R. MkII :P
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=425959

CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

psmacmur wrote:@OneMillionToys: duplicating and layering synth tracks is a tried, tested, and true OSC-winning trick.
Spot on :tu: :tu:

bjporter wrote:
psmacmur wrote:@OneMillionToys: duplicating and layering synth tracks is a tried, tested, and true OSC-winning trick.
Spot on :tu: :tu:
Yup :tu: :tu: as well.

and ... not just in the OSC arena, many (most?) commercial tracks with synths have many layers to bulk out the sounds and give the right "character". Before people learnt to do this we were stuck with really very boring presets in mono - even bringing more synths on to stage/studio helped (or multitracking - but even that was limited in the early days) , and of course, once MIDI arrived with us and let people stack and link their synths, then things got a lot lot better. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now we can squeeze amazing sounds from relatively limited synths. :hihi:

Just my observations, of course - from way back when.

dB

doctorbob wrote: Just my observations, of course - from way back when.

dB
Spot on. I forget a lot about these technological innovations. It's absolutely just unbelievably amazing that in ONE Box, and a keyboard, I can become an orchestral composer, and director, producer, mixer, mastering engineer, and distributor now. Midi was a fantastically important step! :tu:

I agree this is necessary for giving synths 'larger than life' or that thicker sound, done incorrectly you end up with sounds that need to be heavily compressed, or a track that is washed out

and MIDI is simply amazing. I wonder how much long still we will continue to use it... :?:

LuxLucid wrote:I agree this is necessary for giving synths 'larger than life' or that thicker sound, done incorrectly you end up with sounds that need to be heavily compressed, or a track that is washed out

and MIDI is simply amazing. I wonder how much long still we will continue to use it... :?:
It seems like once a protocol has a certain level of network effect and adoption, it rarely gets replaced (IPv4 for example), i hope at least they update the limited 1-128 range though, unless i'm totally wrong.

LuxLucid wrote:I agree this is necessary for giving synths 'larger than life' or that thicker sound, done incorrectly you end up with sounds that need to be heavily compressed, or a track that is washed out
Indeed, it still needs the musician to have skills to do this in a way that is beneficial to a track. So I would rather call it a technique than a trick 8)

Also, layering to create more complex sounds is obvious. But making sounds 'thicker' or 'larger' is in most cases not the way to go mixing-wise. I always think of the old DX7 in this regard: when demoed on its own in a shop it sounded pretty thin and the main reaction was 'it needs at least a chorus'. However, it can be heard in thousands of hit productions all through the eighties, without a chorus mind you, because it's very clean digital sound (for that era) did sit wonderfully easy in a mix :wink: Making sounds 'big', in many cases fills up spaces in your mix that you actually want/need to keep open for other things.

I admit I do use the doubling 'technique' every now and then as well, to make a sound stereo and/or thicker. But, as Björn also hinted at, Ragnarök Mark-2 won't need this 'technique' anymore :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Instruments”