The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I believe there are a few patents on FS1R DSP, and they expire in a few years.

bluedad wrote:
Teksonik wrote:into buying one. I see one is listed for $3,395 at e-bay now. That's just silly but another is a $355 but with 6 days left. Will be interesting to see what it's final selling price will be.......... :)

E-Bay silly price
I saw that the other day and thought 'holy f**k'..years back when I was in the market, I was balking at $400.
I don't think he'll get that price...... :hihi: If he does I'm putting my Ensoniq VFX up for $4,000

I'm interested in seeing where the one at $355 ends up after it's auction is over.....I'm guessing over $500. :?

EDIT: I just checked and it's gone up to $365........and I found this bit in the description:
Flat sounding pads and stunning Formant that make Loops sound stupid.
Inspires me to make a bid........ :lol:
Last edited by Teksonik on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

xh3rv wrote:I believe there are a few patents on FS1R DSP, and they expire in a few years.
When did the patents on the DX7 expire ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

EvilDragon wrote:Well... formant synthesis as done by FS1R is a different pair of shoes. Also, FS1R has 8 voiced and 8 unvoiced operators, so it's not your usual FM box really.
Yes, in theory, but, past six operators or so, the combinatorial advantage of having all of those operators in one box diminishes. There are diminishing returns for having long complex modulation chains and most of the advantage can be attributed to layering simpler chains. For sounds that just rely on more operators, I think that two or three layered instances of FM8 will get you there. In general, I think that this is an overlooked concept that is so simple it's absurd. Just layer existing synths to get complex sounds from synths that combined technologies.

Since you have one, if you'd like to discuss some particular patches that really highlight what is special about the FS1R, I'd certainly be interested in that.

Teksonik wrote: When did the patents on the DX7 expire ?
IIRC it's a 20-year thing, the original Chowning / Stanford patents on digital FM were late 1970s, so would've been the late 90s. (Confirmed by https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... hesis.html - 1995)

Here's a page has a list of FS1R related patents - I couldn't speak to the contents or what's really important but it looks like 5 are past the 20-year limit ('97, '97, '98, '98, '00):(http://smasher.org/fs1r/links)

I owned a FS1R for years and I'd say that Blue II is a really good software alternative. It's an FM/hybrid synthesis and, with the vocal samples, it does a very good job of getting those vocal-ly pads, etc. that the formant shaping synthesis offers. Blue II is far easier to work with, too, of course.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

xh3rv wrote:it looks like 5 are past the 20-year limit ('97, '97, '98, '98, '00):(http://smasher.org/fs1r/links)
But wouldn't that be 2017,2018 and 2020 ?

Can't wait that long................. :hihi:

cryophonik wrote:I owned a FS1R for years and I'd say that Blue II is a really good software alternative. It's an FM/hybrid synthesis and, with the vocal samples, it does a very good job of getting those vocal-ly pads, etc. that the formant shaping synthesis offers. Blue II is far easier to work with, too, of course.
I own an older version of Blue. What new features does Blue II bring to the table ?

Teksonik wrote:
cryophonik wrote:I owned a FS1R for years and I'd say that Blue II is a really good software alternative. It's an FM/hybrid synthesis and, with the vocal samples, it does a very good job of getting those vocal-ly pads, etc. that the formant shaping synthesis offers. Blue II is far easier to work with, too, of course.
I own an older version of Blue. What new features does Blue II bring to the table ?
XY modulation, a lot more waveforms and filter types, more effects options, more modulation options, and other things that I can't think of off the top of my head.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Oh great thanks now I have to upgrade................ :hihi:

Didn't hollow sun or synth magic sample one.

If one just wants a couple of FS1R sounds, there's always the Hollow Sun Sampleset for Kontakt.
http://www.hollowsun.com/HS2/products/fs1r/index.htm
It's pretty nice, and patches are categorized well.

One other thing about the FS1r is the huge number of voice presets - including everything from the DX7 (+cartridges I believe). There's a lot of excellent and detailed sound design in the box already - all the typical e-pianos, Brass, pads, etc.

With 4 voices in a 'performance' patch, you can layer/split 4 x DX7 patches, with filters and noise generators, and push through the lovely FX. Therefore, it's not even required to understand FM at all to get unique patches from it.

The current prices are nuts though.

The Hollow Sun FS1r Kontakt library sounds very nice- highly recommended for the price. Regarding the real FS1r- Nice sounding synth, but anything over $500 for it is absolutely NUTS!!!!!

I have no idea which plug-in would come close to an FS1r.
Maybe it can somehow be created in Reaktor? I once started a thread about this in the NI forum.

I bought one 2nd hand for 400 € 12 years ago, because I thought this was a real synth, something to dive into to create the most unheard sounds. The sound palette and spectrum of presets were amazing. Even though I had SoundDiver and a manual I never fully understood it and finally sold it for about the same price. No regrets. But I definitely would like to have an easy-to-use software version of it.

Return to “Instruments”