Waldorf Music at NAMM 2015: Nave for PC/Mac, Waldorf Edition 2, Attack for iOS, nw1 Eurorack module

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nave Waldorf Edition: Attack Waldorf Edition: D-Pole Waldorf Edition: PPG Wave 2.V

With Attack, Im finding that, although the supplied factory patches are pretty much the same as the original version, the delay behaviour is different, and thus they sound different. That seems kinda sloppy to me.
(Im comparing Attack1 x86 with Attack2 x64, but that shouldnt be the issue; if it is that's a worse problem still)

Basically its appearing like sounds with delay on them in the original WE version do not have delay enabled in the WE2 version.

For example, load the '23rd Century kit loaded (and btw, why the hell hasnt Attack's preset loading improved after all this time, its not just primitive its bloody primeval)

Sound 4 (Canobit) in Attack1 has a distinct delay on it that's missing in the Attack2 version. And switching the delay on is pointless, because the settings are wrong.

Seriously, there's very little new in this version, so making things consistent would be bloody useful for people expecting to continue 'as is'. How hard would it have been to check that delay was enabled for existing presets sounds?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Ingonator wrote:Presets are found at C:\Program Files\Waldorf on Windows. AFAIK there are no new ones for Version 2 yet (maybe with future updates).
Hmm, I guess that's my problem. There is no Waldorf folder in either of my Program Files folders (32-bit or 64-bit), only in the hidden C:\ProgramData folder. Something must have gone wrong during the install. Will see if I can re-run it.

So all the presets I DID find must be from V1 only.

UltimateOutsider wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Presets are found at C:\Program Files\Waldorf on Windows. AFAIK there are no new ones for Version 2 yet (maybe with future updates).
Hmm, I guess that's my problem. There is no Waldorf folder in either of my Program Files folders (32-bit or 64-bit), only in the hidden C:\ProgramData folder. Something must have gone wrong during the install. Will see if I can re-run it.

Oops that must be a bad typo. The Presets of course are in C:\ProgramData\Waldorf.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

V0RT3X wrote:Anyone else getting crashes when trying use the sample function with the AU version on Live 9.2b4
Managed to crash as well. Not exactly remember what I did but I too was playing around with the "sample" function.

Bitwig Studio on a Windows 8.1 64 bit system.

TimPanella wrote:Speaking of Attack and sample content, I've come across a huge problem on my system:

Drum kit presets all load and play fine, but changing any "SAMPLE" drum results in a host crash whenever MIDI is sent to it.

To replicate:

1) Load any preset drum kit.
2) Change any drum slot to SAMPLE type.
3) Pull down the list to select new sample.
4) Try playing that drum from your controller; results in crash every time.

Tested with Logic 10.1.1 and Live 9.1.7 on a system running Yosemite 10.10.2.

Preset samples do play as expected until the source is changed. Can anyone else verify this issue on a similar system? Attack is and always has been my go-to source for electronic drums and SFX design, and I would love to experiment with this new direct access to samples!
Many thanks. This is a known bug and a fix is work in progress.

In Windows there is comparable one but slightly different (and more difficult to notice). There you have to load a Sample and set the ENV knob for the pitch envelope to maximum amount to get a crash.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:This is a known bug and a fix is work in progress.
Thanks for sharing this information Ingonator.

Ingonator wrote:
UltimateOutsider wrote:

Oops that must be a bad typo. The Presets of course are in C:\ProgramData\Waldorf.
I performed a fresh install on another computer that didn't have any Waldorf stuff on it already, and did confirm the following:
  • C:\ProgramData\Waldorf is the correct location for both the V1 AND V2 presets.
  • The reason I couldn't tell the difference on my system is that the V2 installer installs exactly the same presets as V1 (all files dated 2008).
  • This also means that there aren't any preset Attack kits that include any of the many samples now found in C:\ProgramData\Waldorf\Attack.
  • One kind of weird difference is that instead of separate PDF manuals for each of the products like V1 had, there is one combined manual for the whole package, however it is dated June 3, 2014 and does not describe any of the new V2 features, and all screenshots are of the old V1 plugins.
Mystery solved I guess, but hmm.

UltimateOutsider wrote: I performed a fresh install on another computer that didn't have any Waldorf stuff on it already, and did confirm the following:
  • C:\ProgramData\Waldorf is the correct location for both the V1 AND V2 presets.
  • The reason I couldn't tell the difference on my system is that the V2 installer installs exactly the same presets as V1 (all files dated 2008).
  • This also means that there aren't any preset Attack kits that include any of the many samples now found in C:\ProgramData\Waldorf\Attack.
  • One kind of weird difference is that instead of separate PDF manuals for each of the products like V1 had, there is one combined manual for the whole package, however it is dated June 3, 2014 and does not describe any of the new V2 features, and all screenshots are of the old V1 plugins.
Mystery solved I guess, but hmm.
I'm on a Mac, but I have yet to find this illusive manual! I've looked in all of the obvious places, but simply can't find it.

The install directories are a little weird on the Mac too -- I accidentally found the Attack sample folder (while searching for the manual!) -- located in Library/Audio/Waldorf. There's some interesting samples in there -- some identified as Blofeld samples, but I don't think there's any kits that use them, and they don't all appear to be the same as the names that appear on the SAMPLE list in the actual app. Instead, only the ones in the "Single" folder are there. EDIT/CORRECTION! --> Looks like that list is generated by the AttackSamples.XML file, which list parameters for one shot and multi-samples. Probably can even figure a way to incorporate user samples there as well -- of course, none of that matters since that functionality is a "known bug" at this point... <--/EDIT

An additional curiosity: I am surprised that they didn't clean up all the extraneous Wavelab-generated .mrk and .gpk files in some of the sample folders. There are also some random .KSF and .KMP files therein. Don't even know what format that is...

As D-Pole is the only thing I mostly use from the bundle I was a bit skeptical about upgrading. But I finally decided to bit the bullet and do it anyway. And honestly I feel I have wasted 14£. Not only did VST3 version of D-Pole crash my computer instantly on first load it's still the old D-Pole with not much improvement at all. Even the GUI is much smaller than I anticipated. Actually it is not much bigger than the old one. And the annoying knob behavior is not fixed either so you can blow your speakers when trying to dial in a bit of distortion. So the only thing that has even a small bit of improvement is Attack. Otherwise it seems to be a more unstable version of exactly the same old Waldorf Edition. Even the new skins are actually not much bigger than the old ones, not to mention lack of any new features or improved sound quality.

My advice: don't waste your money.
No signature here!

An update of the Waldorf Edition 2 with a few fixes is currently tested and should be available for the customers soon.

For those who are interested based on my own tests here are combinations of Hosts and plugin formats where the Waldorf Edition 2 plugins seem to work (on Windows 7 64-bit SP1):

- Cubase 8.0.10 64-bit (VST2 + VST3, 32-bit VST2 with the built-in bridge)
- Cubase 7.5.40 64-bit (VST2 + VST3)
- Cubase 7.5.40 32-bit (VST2 + VST3)
- Live 9.1.7 64-bit (64-bit VST2)
- Live 9.1.7 32-bit (32-bit VST2)
- Studio One 2.6.5 64-bit (VST2 + VST3)
- Bitwig Studio 1.1.6 (VST2)
- Reaper 4.77 64-bit (VST2, 32-bit with built-in bridge)
- EnergyXT 2.7 (32-bit VST)
- Pro Tools HD 10.3.9 (32-bit AAX)
- Pro Tools HD 11.3.0 (64-bit AAX)
- VstHost 1.54 64-bit (VST2 + VST3)
- VstHost 1.54 32-bit (VST2 + VST3)
- Tobybear MiniHost (32-bit VST2)
- FL Studio 11.1.1 64-bit demo version (VST2 + VST3)
- Sonar X3 demo version (VST2 + VST3) - not installed at the moment, currently no Sonar demo version seems to be available

Of course the OSX testers are also tseting at the latest version of Logic (v10.1.1).
Currently i could not test at OSX myself.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

whyterabbyt wrote:With Attack, Im finding that, although the supplied factory patches are pretty much the same as the original version, the delay behaviour is different, and thus they sound different. ?
Just ignoring this, Ingo?

whyterabbyt wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:With Attack, Im finding that, although the supplied factory patches are pretty much the same as the original version, the delay behaviour is different, and thus they sound different. ?
Just ignoring this, Ingo?
I have to care about more than one thing at the moment so please do not expect a direct reply on everything...

A current and not so small task is to test a new update (with a few fixes) in all hosts and formats that are listed in my post above.

Concerning presets besides the Presets in differnt formats that i already provided i am currently also working on a document that should help with presets handling in Waldorf Edition 2, including file locations, using files for different plugin formats and the drag & drop feature for fxb/fxp.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:I have to care about more than one thing at the moment so please do not expect a direct reply on everything...
Reply, no. Acknowledgment yes.
PS:
I am not the offical Waldorf support at KVR. The fact that i am posting here is based on the fact that im a long time KVR member and that personally i am interested in multiple sources for bug reports, not just the official Support (this is done by someone else) and our own testers.
For customers Waldorf recommends sending reports directly to them and not at KVR and IMO this should be the usual way.
Whether you like it or not, you're acting as an ad hoc spokesman for Waldorf in some of your posts, ergo acting in an official capacity here. Consistency would be appreciated. If you'd rather that be less official, that needs to be reflected in the consistency.
With some reports you're acknowledging the report, some you're testing and acknowledging the contents of the report, and some you're just not responding to at all. Dont be surprised if people see that and wonder what's actually going on.
What i do not really like is that people do send bug reports to official support and KVR at the same time (even worse in a new thread instead of an existing one like this) and complain that they do not get a reply within a short time while people at Waldorf including me alraedy started working on that...
Then I'd have to suggest you have some proper procedures in place, and stick to them. You're fuelling this by responding to some reports differently from others, Im afraid. That's why its messy.

Suggestion : keep a public list of bugs reported to you here, and whether they're already known at Waldorf. Acknowledge reports and add them to the list. Tag your personal unofficial responses and bug corroborations as such. Tag Waldorf-official responses and bug corroborations as such.

Does anyone else have problems I'm having here in the video clip?

1 - The delay is all over the place on start/stop of tracks when using Attack V2
2 - Instant crashing 100% of the time whilst selecting samples

I'll probably find more bugs but Iv'e had to dum Attack out of my track cause it's that bad whilst selecting samples. Great sounds but very very buggy.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwzbeH9FJMc

rob_lee wrote:Does anyone else have problems I'm having here in the video clip?

1 - The delay is all over the place on start/stop of tracks when using Attack V2
2 - Instant crashing 100% of the time whilst selecting samples

I'll probably find more bugs but Iv'e had to dum Attack out of my track cause it's that bad whilst selecting samples. Great sounds but very very buggy.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwzbeH9FJMc
A crash while selecting samples in OSX was already mentioned/reported muliple times and should be fixed with an update that is currently tested.

At windows theer is a comparable but slightly fifferent bug that seems to be solved with that update. In that case yoou get a crash when loading a sample and set the ENV amount for the pitch envelope to maximum.
There is a thread about that one here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=434010
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”