Omnisphere 2 is here! (yes, it's really here!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

Were there any free sounds/libraries for Omni 1/2 except for Plughugger Atari Avalon?

Google "free omnisphere patches".

www.pennysound.co.za/ - 52 free presets.

The Unfinished has some small demos of some of his libraries.

http://www.theunfinished.co.uk

Aryaroman wrote: Cheers! Now, that's a lot of stuff. Still, strange there isn't tons available, despite Omni's popularity.
likely because there's already such a flow of factory presets, i assume ...

Krakatau wrote:
Aryaroman wrote: Cheers! Now, that's a lot of stuff. Still, strange there isn't tons available, despite Omni's popularity.
Mayhaps I'm real picky, but I find quite a small portion of the presets usable.

Aryaroman wrote:
Krakatau wrote:
Mayhaps I'm real picky, but I find quite a small portion of the presets usable.
i agree that they're rather disconcerting and though they sound great, it isn't so obvious for me to include them in a production or another...

If the question is why there aren't a lot of "free" libraries available, isn't the answer obvious? It's a lot of work to make a sound library especially for a synth this complex. I have 350 patch libraries for both 1 and 2 but I can assure you they're not free. I'm not a charitable organization. I have to make a living somehow.

Now, you want to talk about libraries for something like Synth1, sure. Easy to program and it's a free synth to begin with. So who's actually going to pay for a library? I wouldn't. But for a complex synth like Omnisphere, even though I do my own, if I heard something really interesting, I might get it. I bought lots of libraries for Synthmaster because I thought they were really good.

Honestly, I'm surprised there are any free libraries for Omnisphere at all.

wagtunes wrote:Honestly, I'm surprised there are any free libraries for Omnisphere at all.
Well, we haven't discussed the quality of course ;)

From the ones that are available for free, I think only the ones by The Unfinished and VoxWorks get used. I just save 'em when I run into 'em...
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

wagtunes wrote:If the question is why there aren't a lot of "free" libraries available, isn't the answer obvious? It's a lot of work to make a sound library especially for a synth this complex. I have 350 patch libraries for both 1 and 2 but I can assure you they're not free. I'm not a charitable organization. I have to make a living somehow.

Now, you want to talk about libraries for something like Synth1, sure. Easy to program and it's a free synth to begin with. So who's actually going to pay for a library? I wouldn't. But for a complex synth like Omnisphere, even though I do my own, if I heard something really interesting, I might get it. I bought lots of libraries for Synthmaster because I thought they were really good.

I'm not against paying for patches. But then, there aren't so many of those either?

Yes, there are people like You, who make a living by making, designing and distributing their own patches, but I always thought that, especially after 2.0-update, the kind of people who make free sound-design and sampled synth libraries for Kontakt (There are quite a LOT), would start releasing what they came up with.
Of course, it's not a sampler like Kontakt or SFZ, but what it makes up for in that aspect, are the enormous sound design capabilities, DSP waveforms and a huge sampler library that comes with the synth, be it version 1.0, 1.5, or 2.0.

What I mean, is that Omni opens lots of possibilities for many kind of people to make patches, free or paid:

-You have the sample library and you can just edit what's there, since you're only releasing patches that make use of the samples in the synth. => People who don't have their samples or can't record any.

-You can import your own => people who have their own samples, but can't or don't know how to make multisampled instruments out of them.

-DSP waveforms => Plain substractive synth-afficionados.

Krakatau wrote:
That's a huge part of it, I agree. And the presets are very good quality, so there's little motivation to go scrabbling about outside in the virtual bins, as it were.

Some of the paid third party stuff is very good - Plughugger and PluginGuru both do loads of good stuff (though I personally can't stand the latter's idiosyncratic naming conventions that don't fit in with everything else in Omni at all). Top of the tree - The Unfinished. Peerless, really - the only dev to consistently make me think that these are better than factory patches.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Aryaroman wrote:
wagtunes wrote:If the question is why there aren't a lot of "free" libraries available, isn't the answer obvious? It's a lot of work to make a sound library especially for a synth this complex. I have 350 patch libraries for both 1 and 2 but I can assure you they're not free. I'm not a charitable organization. I have to make a living somehow.

I'm not against paying for patches. But then, there aren't so many of those either?

Yes, there are people like You, who make a living by making, designing and distributing their own patches, but I always thought that, especially after 2.0-update, the kind of people who make free sound-design and sampled synth libraries for Kontakt (There are quite a LOT), would start releasing what they came up with.
Of course, it's not a sampler like Kontakt or SFZ, but what it makes up for in that aspect, are the enormous sound design capabilities, DSP waveforms and a huge sampler library that comes with the synth, be it version 1.0, 1.5, or 2.0.

What I mean, is that Omni opens lots of possibilities for many kind of people to make patches, free or paid:

-You have the sample library and you can just edit what's there, since you're only releasing patches that make use of the samples in the synth. => People who don't have their samples or can't record any.

-You can import your own => people who have their own samples, but can't or don't know how to make multisampled instruments out of them.

Maybe these same Kontakt people simply don't have Omni 2. All we can do is speculate at this point.

Bottom line: It is what it is, for whatever reason.

wagtunes wrote:
Aryaroman wrote:

Maybe these same Kontakt people simply don't have Omni 2. All we can do is speculate at this point.

Bottom line: It is what it is, for whatever reason.
Probably, it is quite expensive and has been somewhat hard-to-acquire, right? I though they didn't use to sell it other than boxed before only recent years. I got mine boxed, but I always prefer the boxed anyway, so I didn't even bother to see if digital option was possible at the time.

From what I've seen though, Omnisphere is surprisingly common with both the Pros and amateurs. Just yesterday, I saw it in Timecop's template. Wonder what he uses it for. :lol:

I got Box of Delights and some of the other Unfinished releases and they truly are great!

Return to “Instruments”