Serum vs Dune 2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
chk071
KVRAF
17016 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:58 pm

v1o wrote:
chk071 wrote:
nichttuntun wrote: We don't need them we want them.
Arguable. I wouldn't be able to make music with one synth alone, and that probably also holds true for the majority of others. Especially with so many one trick pony devices out there, which can do one thing pretty good, but suck for others. In my experience, there's really very few synths with a sweet spot for about anything really. More so with analog synths. Not so much with soft synths.
nichttuntun wrote: You are really pushing LARGO here. Is LARGO capable of something the amazing PPG synth of the inventor himself Wolfgang Palm can't do? Or is it sounding completely different? Cheers.
Yes. It can interpolate between the waveforms, for example. And, apart from having the PPG wavetables, it also has the Q's, and Microwave's wavetables. The architecture is also different, and it has unison onboard. Also, different filters. I don't think it sounds completely different, because i think all the Waldorf/PPG synths share a certain vibe, but, it surely allows for some different flavours, and is overall different enough, that there won't be too much overlapping. As far as i know, the point of the PPG plugins was to closely emulate features and operations, while Largo is something separate.
What is so special about the PPG, Q and Microwave wavetables? They always get brought up in discussions about wavetable synths. You would think modern sound designers are no longer imaginative enough to come up with good wavetables.

And is it just me or does having millions and millions of wavetables not really amount to much.
Well, of course it's nice to have many (quality) wavetables in a wavetable synth. I don't find all of them useful in Largo, but, especially the Q wavetables (Alt1, Alt2), and the Wavetrip ones are very versatile, and offer a lot of flavors, and also fit quite nicely to another. Obviously, they also wanted to offer the wavetables of their classic synths at the same time. Anyway, i think it's great to have a lot of choice, being able to import your own wavetables is even better, of course.

faun2500
KVRian
1347 posts since 27 Nov, 2008 from uk

Re: Serum vs Dune 2

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Personally think Serum is one of the most powerful synths out there.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

nichttuntun
KVRist
477 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:52 am

chk071 wrote:
nichttuntun wrote: One question... what do you mean by "interpolating between wavetables"? Do you mean you can use two wavetables at once via two OSCs? Cheers
With interpolate i mean that the waveforms in a wavetable seamlessly morph into one another. Meaning that there are intermediate forms, when you go from one waveform to the other. IIRC, the PPG doesn't do that, neither does Serum. In Largo, the modulation of the wavetable index is a hardcoded oscillator feature, and i make vast use of it, because it is great for evolving pad sounds, and movement. Blofeld does that too, of course.
Thank you. Now I know what you mean. I took that feature as a matter of course. BLOFELD is indeed a sound (and modulation) monster. I love this synth. There is even a trick you can make the waves as dirty as the ones from the MicroQ. Happy modulating!

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:02 am

chk071 wrote:
nichttuntun wrote: We don't need them we want them.
Arguable. I wouldn't be able to make music with one synth alone, and that probably also holds true for the majority of others. Especially with so many one trick pony devices out there, which can do one thing pretty good, but suck for others. In my experience, there's really very few synths with a sweet spot for about anything really. More so with analog synths. Not so much with soft synths.
Yes I do understand that. But it "would" be possible and for sure it "is" possible and many people do it. Listen to the One-Synths-Competitions. There are so many possibilities within the DAW itsself and a "billion" further options to change sound character in a mix (for each single recorded tracks) that noone ever would recognize you just used one base-instrument. Think of the many overtone/saturation/frequence-shifter/grain-efx/wild modulation plugins of all sorts/ re-synthesis/ re-sampling-methods and whatnot. Thats a fact: If you just owned a Synth like lets say ZEBRA, and owned a good sorted arsenal of track manipulation plugins, you don´t have the need for any other synth.

I mean "the need", not the "I want" mentality :)

Happy synthezing :party:

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:16 am

kokotte wrote:if Icarus, rapid or dune2 could have the transmod system or the serum's lfo & workflow, they will be so much better.
serum & dune2 are really differents beasts, they have their own place in a production days.
if i must choose between them, i would take serum with a splice rent, test it some month, and wait for dune3, or
buy icarus or rapid and wait for some workflows improvements.
ICARUS sounds heaven on paper. Is it really so good?

As mentioned I own the BLOFELD and The PPG Stuff from Wolfgang Palm. Has someone some pluses ICARUS comes with? Thank you in advance.

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:19 am

v1o wrote: What is so special about the PPG, Q and Microwave wavetables? They always get brought up in discussions about wavetable synths. You would think modern sound designers are no longer imaginative enough to come up with good wavetables.

And is it just me or does having millions and millions of wavetables not really amount to much.
I think the wavetables aren´t anything special regarded nowadays. But the Synths themselves and especially their sound ARE very special. :party:

Lotuzia
KVRAF
9691 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:39 am

nichttuntun wrote: .....

Thats a fact: If you just owned a Synth like lets say ZEBRA, and owned a good sorted arsenal of track manipulation plugins, you don´t have the need for any other synth.

I mean "the need", not the "I want" mentality :)

Happy synthezing :party:
As I see it, it's far from beeing *a fact*. Actually I think most people with a bit of experience with at least a few different synthesizers will think it's simply false.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:58 am

Hi Lotuzia,
I think you should differ the meaning of "need" and "want". The fact is without a doubt you don't need different synths to produce a song with multiple tracks. One for that purpose is enough. Your answer occurs in the "want" section and is based on your preferences. Cheers

Lotuzia
KVRAF
9691 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:08 am

Well, if what you meant is that a real musician on a desert island will still make music with coconuts, strings attached to a piece of wood, and blowing in a shell, while a less real musician could stay sterile with hundreds of synthesizers, I agree with that.

Now, in all other scenarii, I think most people are mature enough to determine wich, and how many, different synthesizers they 'need' for their works. because said works wont sound identical with 'any' single synthesizer, be it simple, less simple, or very complex and versatile.

Fwiw :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Instruments”