Suggestions for more Dune 2 Features (poll)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Suggestions for new Dune 2 features

Save & Load MSEGs
30%
Save & Load Layer Presets
16%
More Mod Matrix Destinations (ARP swing, Osc Density, etc)
27%
Option to set Key Range per layer
14%
Phase control in the WT (to run through the phase of a selected waveform)
13%

Total votes: 56

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love Dune 2!! :love:

Its everything I always wanted in a softsynth... Except for a few things that are missing in my opinion. Just thought it'd be nice if these things were added. I think it would help make the workflow faster & even more fun as a Synth to use. Join in if you have a feature you'd love to see in Dune 2!
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Reset poll,

add snap to grid mseg

add right click assign mod destination on any parameter ( in effect bypassing mod matrix altogether, ie similar to serum)

Can't see how youd not include these :ud:

also I'd limit to two votes
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Actually, i'd post that here: http://forum.synapse-audio.com/ Better chance for the ones in charge to take note of it.

DUNE 2 is VERY nice. I absolutely love it. But it's not perfect, of course. There is room for improvement.

In the oscillator section, WT can be expanded with a tool to create wavetables directly inside the synth. FM, maybe more algos would be nice. The suboscillator could be better also, as well as noise (more noise types, different from white). VA is fine, IMHO. Maybe the ability to switch polarity.

Filter section, maybe more filter types with more variety in sound. In the filter effects section, maybe the ability to set other parameters like resonance, drive, etc..in the lowpass and highpass filters, so they act like full additional filters. And maybe the option to set these filters in series or parallel.

Envelopes, the normal ones could be expanded with the option to change the attack, decay and release curves (linear, exponential, etc..), to change the 'snappiness', although it can already be done using MSEGs. I wouldn't mind an additional knob modulation envelope either. The MSEGs could be expanded with more features like the ones you mentioned (save and load MSEGs), snap to grid, and more.

Key range per layer? I hadn't thought of that, that would be amazing indeed.

More mod matrix destinations would also be nice, and maybe an 'alternate' mod source comes to my mind as well.

Talking about workflow improvements, come to my mind things like the ability to 'init' unison voices, the ability to copy and paste between oscillators 1 and 2 (I miss this one so bad), the ability to quickly assign modulation sources such as LFOs, MSEGs, envelopes with a right click or something, etc...
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

I also really miss the old dune filters, bp/hp/lp and a few others. There are legacy filters but a the best ones from v1 are not included
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I think phase control in the WT is already possible in the mod matrix (for example, const--amount--osc 1 init phase).

I would like to see the MSEGS not tied to 2 or 4 bars etc so that you could syncopate them by having one 3 bars for example. I would also like a polyphonic sync mode so that each note can trigger/restart it's own clocked MSEG yet quantized to a clock value (so that it doesn't require too much precision when playing it live. Snapping is also essential :)

The other thing I really want is is a feedback knob for the Comb Filter which seems strange that it is missing as there is space for a knob as most inserts have 2 parameters.

I've also thought about how great it would be for building FX/Drum Kits if you could zone the layers, would be a nice feature.

For the wavetables I would really like a mode where they step through like the PPG instead of morphing, modern wavetable synths always seem to miss this out and it's such a beautiful sound. You can use steps within an mseg to do it but it isn't the same as driving them with an lfo shape/aftertouch/Mod Wheel for that PPG type sound.

Also a Layer semitone Tune for easily changing layer pitch with having to re-tune each oscillator.

Is it greedy to want more MSEGs? Or maybe stepped LFOs?

Finally I think the only other thing that gets me is that after loading init, or a patch I wish the Matrix would roll back up to the top, as I usually find I've been adding Modulations at the bottom of the list. Not that it really matters but it's better to have consistency and not have to search for the modulations...

I'm happy without any updates but I would be very happy to see it get some more development & love, it's such a beautiful synth.

Tjgoa wrote:Reset poll,

add snap to grid mseg

add right click assign mod destination on any parameter ( in effect bypassing mod matrix altogether, ie similar to serum)

Can't see how youd not include these :ud:

also I'd limit to two votes
No need to reset. If you're feeling dandy, you can add suggestions on as well :-) I put in 3 as I like more options in anything instead of limits. I agree with Snap 2 Grid!!
chk071 wrote:Actually, i'd post that here: http://forum.synapse-audio.com/ Better chance for the ones in charge to take note of it.
There are more users in KVR. I figure more people would give their opinon in a bigger forum.
Yorrrrrr wrote: In the oscillator section, WT can be expanded with a tool to create wavetables directly inside the synth. FM, maybe more algos would be nice. The suboscillator could be better also, as well as noise (more noise types, different from white). VA is fine, IMHO. Maybe the ability to switch polarity.

Filter section, maybe more filter types with more variety in sound. In the filter effects section, maybe the ability to set other parameters like resonance, drive, etc..in the lowpass and highpass filters, so they act like full additional filters. And maybe the option to set these filters in series or parallel.

Envelopes, the normal ones could be expanded with the option to change the attack, decay and release curves (linear, exponential, etc..), to change the 'snappiness', although it can already be done using MSEGs. I wouldn't mind an additional knob modulation envelope either. The MSEGs could be expanded with more features like the ones you mentioned (save and load MSEGs), snap to grid, and more.

Key range per layer? I hadn't thought of that, that would be amazing indeed.

More mod matrix destinations would also be nice, and maybe an 'alternate' mod source comes to my mind as well.

Talking about workflow improvements, come to my mind things like the ability to 'init' unison voices, the ability to copy and paste between oscillators 1 and 2 (I miss this one so bad), the ability to quickly assign modulation sources such as LFOs, MSEGs, envelopes with a right click or something, etc...
WT inside of Dune would be nice. Working with Serum does change how one thinks about including all necessary tools in one package.
FM Algorithims is a good one.
MORE NOise!!! I hear ya there. Brown & Pink would be welcome.
Polarity would be great on VA (ala Z3ta!), More control of the filters + routing, Envelope curves, Modulation Knob, Alternate mod source (oooo that would be sexy on drums), great ideas, Yorrrrrr!!!! That would definitely take it over the top!
Tjgoa wrote:I also really miss the old dune filters, bp/hp/lp and a few others. There are legacy filters but a the best ones from v1 are not included
There is something about those Dune 1 filters that are so cozy. Dune 2 is a different animal, but bringing the old filters back in their entirety with the addition of the current selection would make Dune 2 more of a chameleon.
Yorrrrrr wrote:I think phase control in the WT is already possible in the mod matrix (for example, const--amount--osc 1 init phase).
I'll have to try that! Thanks for the tip!!
Astralp wrote:I would like to see the MSEGS not tied to 2 or 4 bars etc so that you could syncopate them by having one 3 bars for example. I would also like a polyphonic sync mode so that each note can trigger/restart it's own clocked MSEG yet quantized to a clock value (so that it doesn't require too much precision when playing it live. Snapping is also essential :)

The other thing I really want is is a feedback knob for the Comb Filter which seems strange that it is missing as there is space for a knob as most inserts have 2 parameters.

I've also thought about how great it would be for building FX/Drum Kits if you could zone the layers, would be a nice feature.

For the wavetables I would really like a mode where they step through like the PPG instead of morphing, modern wavetable synths always seem to miss this out and it's such a beautiful sound. You can use steps within an mseg to do it but it isn't the same as driving them with an lfo shape/aftertouch/Mod Wheel for that PPG type sound.

Also a Layer semitone Tune for easily changing layer pitch with having to re-tune each oscillator.

Is it greedy to want more MSEGs? Or maybe stepped LFOs?

Finally I think the only other thing that gets me is that after loading init, or a patch I wish the Matrix would roll back up to the top, as I usually find I've been adding Modulations at the bottom of the list. Not that it really matters but it's better to have consistency and not have to search for the modulations...

I'm happy without any updates but I would be very happy to see it get some more development & love, it's such a beautiful synth.
Extended bars on the MSEGS would be awesome!!! if you could do an 8 bar rise or Atmospheric Pad, that would put theings on awhole different level (with snap to grid of course). And there's no foul for wanting more MSEGs... we all love them!!!

I've always though the comb filter needed more work. So much potential for that to be crazy with some more love. Maybe I should dig in this more myself.

Snapping the wavetable selector would be nice as well. And btw, Astralp, I bought your presets for Dune 2 on te intro sale. VERY nice my friend!!! keep up the great work.

Keep em coming guys! I meant this out of sheer fun... not to mention it helps me break out of a rut when I'm stuck creatively. Anyone is free to add suggestions to the poll as well. Maybe more will see it and Rich will take a few things to mind.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Saukar30 wrote:
chk071 wrote:Actually, i'd post that here: http://forum.synapse-audio.com/ Better chance for the ones in charge to take note of it.
There are more users in KVR. I figure more people would give their opinon in a bigger forum.
Well, if the sole purpose of the poll is that people here give their opinion about what features are missing in Dune 2, that's fine. If you want the devs to take notice, it's better to post it over in the Synapse forum. :shrug:

On the other hand, he's on KVR sometimes it seems, so he might read this anyway.
Last edited by chk071 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saukar30 wrote:btw, Astralp, I bought your presets for Dune 2 on te intro sale. VERY nice my friend!!! keep up the great work.
Thanks! Glad you liked them, I will be developing another bank before too long :)

Oh and the other suggestion I forgot was quantized semitone pitch destinations - as I remember it isn't too easy working with pitch from the MSEGS. Would also be fun from the lfos too.

There is indeed a slow attack envelope despite the initial "click". Any chance to give some settings to it? I now understand those guys telling about this...

Arp gate as mod destination.

Formant filter.

Feed back on the Comb filter.

Comb filter as a filter in itself rather than just an effect filter.

Integrated wavetable editing.

Modulate arp speed. Not so great on Arps themselves, but pretty cool for when you use it as a mod source.

Modulate fm ratios.

Backwards and forwards on arps and msegs.

Separate sequencer that acts as a mod source like Rob Papen's Blue or Blade. Also with separate sequence length.

Option to have a mixture of lfos, arps and msegs triggered internally when these are set to host. So you might have an lfo triggered internally while having the arp set to host. At the moment it's either one or the other.

Extended Midi cc in Mod matrix say midi cc 16 to 20. Anyone familiar with my sounds for Albino, Predator, and Spectral will know what I mean and why this is handy for some serious warping.

Single cycles can be used as lfo shapes.

More mathematical modifiers in the mod matrix similar to the ones in the old Emu samplers. Check out page 275 of this old manual http://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/manuals/e- ... manual.pdf for some examples. I'm sure there's more that could be done in this regard, but something like the example provided would be a good start. Although this is something that is lacking in most synths I've come across.

And there you have it Dune 3!
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

i would like to see, in an update or in Dune3:
a hard sync between osc1&2 in Wt mode and a phase modulation in WT/VA mode at audiorate, a better comb, more filtersfx(double notch...) and some sine at different freq in the mod matrix(like tone2) more Wt by MH( for WT, he's a master)

I think Rich is aware of most of those requests as they have been mentioned on the official forum.... more MM slots tho? I havent seen a single preset that has used all of them so far....

Its been very quiet recently so maybe they are putting some of this stuff into an update, who knows...

Save/Load step seq is one i'd like to see, and ability to slide seq along (left or right)

ARP/SEQ per voice would be good for drum patterns too.

kokotte wrote:i would like to see, in an update or in Dune3:
a hard sync between osc1&2 in Wt mode and a phase modulation in WT/VA mode at audiorate, a better comb, more filtersfx(double notch...) and some sine at different freq in the mod matrix(like tone2) more Wt by MH( for WT, he's a master)
Noted :)

MH

Edit: expect to see some new WTs later today 8)
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Return to “Instruments”