Modelonia 2.0 public Beta PC&Mac: download and contest

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

After eight months of hard work I'm proud to release
Modelonia 2.0 Beta (version 1.988),
it's a public beta (close to the release candidate),
free to download and use for any PC or Mac user.
AU and VST, 32-bit and 64-bit are included.

Modelonia 2.0 is a major update, with many new features, new sounds
and a complete, full–blown new manual of 50 pages!
You should really read that to get the best out of Modelonia 2.0.

Before using the plugin please read the "Must_Read_This_Before_Using_The_Synth.rtf" file
included in the zip, which you can download at
http://www.nusofting.liqihsynth.com/modelonia.html

There is also a contest attached to this release.We set five full licenses of Modelonia 2.0 as prize
for the best demo tracks or best presets we will receive.

Rules are simple. You can send me MP3 or OGG files,
links or attachments, to the addresses provided
in the "Must_Read_This_Before_Using_The_Synth.rtf".

Tracks must be maximum of one minute,
using only Modelonia and drums samples, if needed.
Or if you prefer sending some great presets
you made for Modelonia we will consider those as well.
Branis (GUI designer), Bernie (Mac programmer), and I will
choose the winners at the end of this month.

Release price for Modelonia 2.0 will be something between 75 and 95 USD,
an upgrade path for 1.7 users will be available as well.

Is there a list of new features somewhere?

pdxindy wrote:Is there a list of new features somewhere?
Yes, it's inside the new manual, which is in the download, here is a copy of the list only:

Appendix D
What's new in Modelonia 2.0

Sound Engine Update and Upgrade

1) New. Two macro sliders are now available for real-time sound morphing: respectively crossfading gains and cross-feedback levels between the two main Resonators.

2) New. Added a powerful equalizer in the output fx chain. This new "AP EQ" features two fully adjustable shelving filters and a "tilt" knob to quickly balance brightness to low boomines. Moreover it features a switch to choose between a clean or overdrive channel.
Tabbed view. The bottom pane with the microtuning sliders is now hidden by default, while the new AP EQ knobs and macro sliders are shown.

3) New. The MIDI modulation matrix now includes the ability to use Aftertouch and Velocity as modulation sources for each parameter.
Moreover the map is now saved per preset.
The start and end range of modulation is also settable. Reverse mappings are is supported as well, with start greater than end value.

4) New. "Single Shot" mode extended to both LFOs. This allows the use of LFOs as envelope for modulation. Moreover a Mix mode has been added to mix the waveshapes of the two LFOs.

5) New. The SA switch changes the architecture of both Modelonia models, for more sound design possibilities.

6) New. The "PE" switch in "Lips" exciter has been extended to a knob control. Up to Modelonia 1.8 it turned on the "pressure emitter" in the Horn exciter, now in 2.0 it adjusts the PE in the right half turn (marked with a green curve), and it switches to an alternative algorithm with PE off when used in the left half (marked with a red curve). This new feature takes better advantage of the exciters external to the "Lips" module, i.e. the Noise module and the String module via "XM to Horn".

7) New. The harmonic waveshapers controlled by the "Modif" switches A and B, in the Horn module, have been updated with new algorithms.

8 ) New. The "change properties fx" (the "CP" switch in "String" module) now features a stronger harmonic enhancement.

9) New. The A/B switch in the FX module adds now a soft chorus to the reverb. Chorus can be used alone as well, setting the reverb mix to zero.

10) Vastly improved Mono Legato mode for enhanced realism in solo playing of wind instruments and similar hybrid ones.

11) Updated "EQ" module, the new fixed resonator is capable of more pronounced spectrum changes.

12) New. Sub Osc with 5 wavehsapes added to the Noise Exciter,

These modifications allow a great new range of sounds, making Modelonia more versatile.

Utilities Update and Upgrade

1) New. The presets are now stored in a new cross-platform preset format, a human readable XML file, and they can be saved/loaded by the Modelonia panel buttons.
Also 2 browse buttons "next" and "previous" are provided, as well as a utility for preset files folder management.

2) New. Presets menu with submenus for categories allows an easier and swifter selection.
The default bank holds up to 512 presets at once, visible also in DAW menus of VST or AU hosts

3) Almost 400 updated presets are currently available.
Older presets from Modelonia 1.8 and earlier can still be loaded in 2.0, but due to the changes in the sound engine explained in "Sound Engine Update and Upgrade" a few parameters may need to be adjusted by hand

4) New. Completely rewritten user manual in PDF format. This includes detailed descriptions of the parameters, the sound signal path and features hints and FAQ.
A "must read" to enhance your experience in Modelonia programming.

5) The Sound Wizard provies some basic templates for you to start a fresh sound design. This has been updated too.

6) New. Options menu includes commands to generate random presets.

7) Skin change button rotates through all the skins installed. Beautiful new skin included in 2.0.

8 ) NUSofting Data folder (was in My Documents for Windows) is no longer used.

Is it possible to load your own samples into this?

bharris22 wrote:Is it possible to load your own samples into this?
Hello,

Modelonia does not use samples, so it's not possible, I could add in a next version the possibility to use custom short samples as exciters, but it's not implemented yet.
Anyway you have a wide choice of modeled exciters in 2.0,

Thanks for asking,

Downloaded beta. Sounds great. But once again another synth that I can't use because the GUI is too small.

The list of really great sounding synths out there that I can't use because of small GUIs is almost as long as the list of synths that I own, which is a shame.

Oh well. But it does sound great.

Good luck with it.

wagtunes wrote:Downloaded beta. Sounds great. But once again another synth that I can't use because the GUI is too small.

The list of really great sounding synths out there that I can't use because of small GUIs is almost as long as the list of synths that I own, which is a shame.

Good luck with it.
I'm afraid us old gimmers are on the same page here. It does sound terrific but my eyes can't cope.

We are reaching this point in the history of audio plugins where the early adopters are an ageing brigade (there are a lot of us on here).

Again, best of luck!

lnikj wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Downloaded beta. Sounds great. But once again another synth that I can't use because the GUI is too small.

Good luck with it.
I'm afraid us old gimmers are on the same page here. It does sound terrific but my eyes can't cope.

We are reaching this point in the history of audio plugins where the early adopters are an ageing brigade (there are a lot of us on here).

Again, best of luck!
Many thanks wagtunes and lnikj for saying: "Sounds great." , "But it does sound great." and "It does sound terrific "
That makes me happy.
About the GUI how big should be for you? Curently is 749 x 595, but we can make a larger skin in a week.

It's good to see Modelonia resurrected – it's the most delightfully quirky synth that I know of. ;-)

However, my Live 9.2.1 on Mac OS 10.9.5 found this beta a bit too quirky, apparently – the Modelonia VST caused a sudden crash when I changed presets, after I'd explored for some fifteen minutes. Unfortunately, Live then disables the offending plug-in, so I can't continue testing.

If you can read the Ableton crash report package, I can email it to you.

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

If only all devs were so accommodating :)

50% bigger would be great, but thinking longterm it's going to be about vector graphics, not bitmaps. That would really be the dog's Bs.

I meant it when I praised the sound quality!

Cheers.

Hi Joachim,

on Windows I use Modelonia 2.0 in Live 9 Suite and it doesn't crash, I will report the issue to the Mac programmer, not sure if he can read the Ableton crash report package but you can send it anyway, many thanks.
Have you also tried the Modelonia AU in Live on Mac?

Cheers

liqih wrote:Hi Joachim,

on Windows I use Modelonia 2.0 in Live 9 Suite and it doesn't crash, I will report the issue to the Mac programmer, not sure if he can read the Ableton crash report package but you can send it anyway, many thanks.

Cheers
Wilco in the morning! 8)
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

lnikj wrote:If only all devs were so accommodating :)

50% bigger would be great, but thinking longterm it's going to be about vector graphics, not bitmaps. That would really be the dog's Bs.

Cheers.
Ok I will make it double large, at least I can make it first for Windows, for Mac you have to wait two weeks since the Mac programmer is on holidays.
About vector graphics I absolutely agree, the new effect series I'm making is based on that, anyway fortunately Modelonia is at least skinnable and I can build (using some patience and time) skins of any size.

Thanks again.

liqih wrote:
lnikj wrote:If only all devs were so accommodating :)

Cheers.
Ok I will make it double large, at least I can make it first for Windows, for Mac you have to wait two weeks since the Mac programmer is on holidays.
About vector graphics I absolutely agree, the new effect series I'm making is based on that, anyway fortunately Modelonia is at least skinnable and I can build (using some patience and time) skins of any size.

Thanks again.
When you say "double large" are you referring to total area or twice as large on each dimension? If the latter then double would likely be too big. Both my monitors are 1920*1200.

If you double the vertical dimension that would conflict with the bar and dock on my Mac (and probably something on Windows too).

50% bigger in each dimension would be good for me, but I guess it would be worth checking on common monitor sizes to see if that would reach plenty of potential customers.

Cheers.

EDIT: argghh ... I used that horrible term "reach" ... I mean "be suitable for' ... I'll get me coat ...
Last edited by lnikj on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spitfire31 wrote:
liqih wrote:Hi Joachim,

Cheers
Wilco in the morning! 8)
Ok one more thing, beside trying the AU in Live, you could try to change the presets using the Live menu instead of the GUI menu of Modelonia, or the <<< >>> arrows buttons, always on the GUI. So if it's a GUI incompatibiliy of Modelonia VST for Mac with Live, the Live menu in the device interface could work. To reenable it anyway you should move the plugin away, rescan, put it back and rescan again the VST folder with Live.

Return to “Instruments”