Is ReFX nexus 2 worth getting?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
ATS
KVRAF
6397 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:05 pm

I love Nexus myself. It is so funny to see people say it doesn't sound good :lol:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

braj
KVRAF
9094 posts since 5 Feb, 2004

Re: Is ReFX nexus 2 worth getting?

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:21 pm

V0RT3X wrote:
tristan- wrote:
V0RT3X wrote: Do you work for Refx or something?
lol dude.

No.
Fair enough, i was just curious lol.

Yah i can see it useful for people who want a quick selection of ready to go sounds. It surely gives you more time to focus on composing vs getting lost in sound design. I guess it all boils down to what you want to work with in the end.
LOL, I was curious too. Tristan, you are definitely enthusiastic and that is something. I'm glad Refx makes something to suit the needs of people that don't care to dig into the synthesis part of it, but remember that a synth can do the same without requiring a big library, much you may never use.

One thing about big sound libraries (including synth patch libraries) is just like physical libraries, you can get lost for hours. I prefer a synth with no patch loaded when approaching composing. Or a plain piano. I would go with Kontact or Omnisphere personally, but then I use the Kontact based sample player already, and Trilian, so I know that general UI and flow, plus I don't do EDM, atmospheric film stuff is what I would get it for.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3070 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Its good for the beginners or as a complimentary sound bank. But when you will want more, you will still go for a synth.The sound quality of patches isnt as good as other romplers/samplers anymore (at least for older soundbanks that i used), i mean Sampletank 3, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2. But the loading times are very fast.

The biggest problem for me about Nexus was that your option to edit sound was very minimal and not all sounds are usable. And even after using most of sounds you want to use you find another one with a glimpse of interesting part in a patch, then you think "gosh why i cant edit this, i would use it then". Another thing, dont know how to explain, but most of the sounds are "too much complete". Even if you can turn off layers, I still want a bit less processed sound.

I used Nexus since it was released, but now it has been 6 years since i used it last time. Just to note, i havent heard new nexsus soundbank, so maybe they are much higher quality.

But there is another thing, the price! Its damn expensive (ok not that expensive rompler alone) if you want complete package you would have to pay over 3k eu. In such case i think its much better just to grab Komplete by NI.

tristan-
KVRist
437 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:11 pm

braj wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:
tristan- wrote:
V0RT3X wrote: Do you work for Refx or something?
lol dude.

No.
Fair enough, i was just curious lol.

Yah i can see it useful for people who want a quick selection of ready to go sounds. It surely gives you more time to focus on composing vs getting lost in sound design. I guess it all boils down to what you want to work with in the end.
LOL, I was curious too. Tristan, you are definitely enthusiastic and that is something. I'm glad Refx makes something to suit the needs of people that don't care to dig into the synthesis part of it, but remember that a synth can do the same without requiring a big library, much you may never use.

One thing about big sound libraries (including synth patch libraries) is just like physical libraries, you can get lost for hours. I prefer a synth with no patch loaded when approaching composing. Or a plain piano. I would go with Kontact or Omnisphere personally, but then I use the Kontact based sample player already, and Trilian, so I know that general UI and flow, plus I don't do EDM, atmospheric film stuff is what I would get it for.
So being enthusiastic on KVR is a bad thing right? We have to criticize anything, anytime.
If you'd done EDM, perhaps you'd felt differently.
When I like something I usually become a supporter. I agree a synth can do some of it, but it would not be so easy to layer sounds so quickly and have them ready like that. It's inspiring.
I do have my reservations and it's def the pricing.

ObsoleteAcc99
Banned
22486 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:21 pm

themachinelt wrote:Its good for the beginners or as a complimentary sound bank. But when you will want more, you will still go for a synth.The sound quality of patches isnt as good as other romplers/samplers anymore (at least for older soundbanks that i used), i mean Sampletank 3, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2. But the loading times are very fast.

The biggest problem for me about Nexus was that your option to edit sound was very minimal and not all sounds are usable. And even after using most of sounds you want to use you find another one with a glimpse of interesting part in a patch, then you think "gosh why i cant edit this, i would use it then". Another thing, dont know how to explain, but most of the sounds are "too much complete". Even if you can turn off layers, I still want a bit less processed sound.

I used Nexus since it was released, but now it has been 6 years since i used it last time. Just to note, i havent heard new nexsus soundbank, so maybe they are much higher quality.

But there is another thing, the price! Its damn expensive (ok not that expensive rompler alone) if you want complete package you would have to pay over 3k eu. In such case i think its much better just to grab Komplete by NI.

judging by a product you last used six years back is rather strange. ST3 and Kontakt 5 didn't even exist then to compare them to.

Nexus sounds wonderful. It has legions of brilliant ready to play patches that sound GOOD. They can always be made to fit by turning off individual layers and fx in layers.. you can get a very thin sound if you don't want a huge one, and tweak from there.

ObsoleteAcc99
Banned

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:22 pm

ATS wrote:I love Nexus myself. It is so funny to see people say it doesn't sound good :lol:
i know right :lol:

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3070 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:52 pm

TheoM wrote:
themachinelt wrote:Its good for the beginners or as a complimentary sound bank. But when you will want more, you will still go for a synth.The sound quality of patches isnt as good as other romplers/samplers anymore (at least for older soundbanks that i used), i mean Sampletank 3, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2. But the loading times are very fast.

judging by a product you last used six years back is rather strange. ST3 and Kontakt 5 didn't even exist then to compare them to.

Nexus sounds wonderful. It has legions of brilliant ready to play patches that sound GOOD. They can always be made to fit by turning off individual layers and fx in layers.. you can get a very thin sound if you don't want a huge one, and tweak from there.
Ofcourse they did not exist, but they exist now. And if you read again i noted that it was long time ago and i dont know how it is now. But i doubt they remade default soundbank to fit todays "quality". So still in the end you still have to buy expansions.

Oh and this is only to you, im not saying its bad. Nexus users are so defensive without a reason.

braj
KVRAF
9094 posts since 5 Feb, 2004

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:28 pm

tristan- wrote:
So being enthusiastic on KVR is a bad thing right? We have to criticize anything, anytime.
I wasn't criticizing you, ReFX, EDM, or Nexus. And, pardon moi, Missueur, I was only stating my perspective. Accompanying your enthusiasm may be a bit of defensiveness. Read my posts again dude.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

tristan-
KVRist
437 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:57 pm

braj wrote:
tristan- wrote:
I wasn't criticizing you, ReFX, EDM, or Nexus. And, pardon moi, Missueur, I was only stating my perspective. Accompanying your enthusiasm may be a bit of defensiveness. Read my posts again dude.
No problems here mate, we're all debating in a friendly manner! :hug:

2ZrgE
KVRian
1180 posts since 30 Mar, 2011

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:42 am

recursive one wrote:Why do Nexus users act on the defensive so often? Nobody says Nexus is useless but is neither the best sounding nor the most cost effective option out there imo.

Nothing wrong with using romplers, samplers, presets, loops or whatever.
I can recall countless postings (here and on other boards) with the same old story some elitists telling 'the amateurs' that using presets/loops/premade samples is for amateurs, "it's just a rompler", only douches (like Avicii) use Nexus etc.
Nexus IMO is the way to milk noobs who can't synthesize, but if you're one of them you will be amazed by quality of patches
Then show us your sounds and let us decides if they stick up to the quality Nexus provides. :tu:

A lot of people really seem to have the urge to be better than others. :roll:

DrGonzo
KVRAF
2206 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:31 am

I am a total sucker for deep synths with maximum control. But sometimes it's just so damn refreshing to pull something up quickly to sketch out a track. Just because you love making your own sounds doesn't make a preset-player like Nexus any less good. It's a different thing and I think it's great.

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
ELEKTRONIQ for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Roland S750/DJ70 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2646 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:58 am

THE GOOD

Perfect for fast genre-based work. Sounds authentic at pretty much everything it tries, they have the best sound designers in the business. As useful to pros as to beginners, because of the sound. Most basic tweaks are dead easy and the front panel is well thought through. Fairly easy to stay current with new expansions.

THE BAD

For what is mostly a preset machine, the patch browser is an archaic horror, designed in 1984. Some essential tweaks are fiddly under the hood (eg the part mixer). No use for sound designing from scratch, obviously. Not the tool to inspire originality. Relatively expensive, but Christmas sale prices more reasonable.

OVERALL

It's the media composer's secret weapon - best tool in the business to sound current fast. If you are serious about writing for the genres and doing something outside the norm, you'll need other tools. Could definitely use a UI overhaul, a tag browser and better mixer.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

frizzbee
KVRist
225 posts since 11 Jan, 2015

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:52 am

Kinh wrote:Almost everything in this comment is WRONG. So I wouldn't base your decision to go with it on this. The SEQ can be broken down into parts, they're not just fully 'arranged and mixed' (And songs sound identical on the radio in order to GET on the radio, not because producers are lazy and prefer to use arpeggiators). And there is no global arp button but there doesn't need to be cause a lot of the arp and seq are actually the same plucks and leads contained within the expansion anyway.

And about Nexus not evolving, you couldn't be anymore wrong. The expansions of yesteryear, "commercial electro", "dance orchestra" etc are waaaayyy behind the new ones as far as quality goes and files size, are 4 times as small. Clearly you haven't added an expansion for quite some time. And they dont just take a preset from a previous expansion, tweak it then use it for the next one, the presets in every expansion are genre specific.

And your final statement "I think nexus was worth it years ago. But its not yet anymore"...its actually the complete reverse. Nexus wasn't worth it years ago when the sound was pretty average but since they've lifted their game and dramatically improved the quality of their presets, it is.
Well I dont think my comment was WRONG. I bought nexus when it was released...

I never said these SQs can't be split. And of cause there is an global arpeggiator which can be turned on or off. Furthermore yes, there are sounds where you can't turn off the internal arp - whether in the mix section or in the arpeggiator. But its the same thing as with vengeance construction kits - they always recommend to split things and rearrange the whole song. So of cause you could do this, but most dont :wink: Thats what my experience is.

About the expansions: the presets are not genre specific. That's what vengeance mentioned in a forum. He clearly said this about their samplepacks and nexus expansions. Something says "commercial electro" but you can always use it for dubstep or even house, too. Also yes, there are expansions where they even take e.g. plucks from the factory content, give them the name "PL Super Hyper Nice New Pluck" and it goes right into the pack.
Btw file size has nothing to do with that. A sound with modulation that got sampled is of cause larger that something static. That does not mean it is higher quality :wink:

Back in those days they sampled hardware synths. They gave us sounds we could not get that easy. Nowadays there is no sound in nexus which isnt available as a preset in a modern synth. Maybe thats where the exp designers get their sound from :lol:

ObsoleteAcc99
Banned

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:33 pm

themachinelt wrote:
TheoM wrote:

Ofcourse they did not exist, but they exist now. And if you read again i noted that it was long time ago and i dont know how it is now. But i doubt they remade default soundbank to fit todays "quality". So still in the end you still have to buy expansions.

Oh and this is only to you, im not saying its bad. Nexus users are so defensive without a reason.
i'm not a nexus user.

zvenx
KVRAF
6973 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:50 pm

noiseboyuk wrote:.........
THE BAD

For what is mostly a preset machine, the patch browser is an archaic horror, designed in 1984. ........
I am curious to know what you don't like about the preset browser?
I actually like it a lot....I assume you know you can make your own new favourites and new search categories....
so for example, if you want to access all patches that start with BL....create a new search call BL and it will put all patches with BL in the name in that folder,etc.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”