VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2646 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:26 am

zvenx wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:.........
THE BAD

For what is mostly a preset machine, the patch browser is an archaic horror, designed in 1984. ........
I am curious to know what you don't like about the preset browser?
I actually like it a lot....I assume you know you can make your own new favourites and new search categories....
so for example, if you want to access all patches that start with BL....create a new search call BL and it will put all patches with BL in the name in that folder,etc.

rsp
Hey wow, I'm answering this 2 months later (didn't see it originally, sorry, and a forum search brought the thread up).

The two letter prefixes are the bluntest of blunt instruments. Leads, pads, bells.... yeah sure... what about warm pads, aggressive leads, deep basses? Omni 2 may have gone tag bonkers (it now has the opposite problem of a gazillion similar but slightly different tags all in different places), but the principle of needing tags to sort presets is pretty fundamental.

Nowhere is this more acute than Nexus - easily (and not unfairly) dismissed as a preset machine, the one thing you need if you're dealing almost exclusively in presets is a way to manage them effectively. Nexus 2 doesn't have that. All you have are the crude searches and two letter prefixes. They need useful descriptors like pure, warm, aggressive etc, also genres - dubstep basses may well appear in places other than named dubstep expansions, for example.

I do hope Nexus 3 is in the pipeline, with a tag browser and an overhauled gui so we can work with a window bigger than a postage stamp. I'd love multi outs too, so we can break out the multilayers and route / treat them in the DAW. However, I do like the simplicity of the front panel controls - the key is to retain the quick basic editing simplicity, while greatly enhancing the browser and editing.

Speaking of which, 2.7.2 has a revamped mixer page. At first it seemed confusing, but it is actually something of an improvement - the final tab in Mix, Lay now has a visible signal / fx / chain for each layer, making it considerably easier to see what's going on and tweak it:
nexus mixer 2-7-2.PNG
There's a ton of room for improvement there still mind - helpfully, none of the editing parameters are labelled in any way whatsoever (FWIW they are oscillator on / off, level, pan, course and fine pitch) and good lord we could do with some indication of when they are triggered (a little flashing dot or something) - at the moment, as it has always been, it's just a case of stabbing all the on/off buttons til you figure it out.

Anyway, my pros and cons above still very much stand to me. Despite my gripes, it's a valuable tool - it could be so much more though, even without giving us full control.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

Astralv
KVRian
783 posts since 26 Jan, 2014 from United States of America

Re: Is ReFX nexus 2 worth getting?

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:08 am

Now that you brought it up... It probably was innovative 5 years ago, but now hardly keeps up with time and waaaay overpriced. Expansions are overpriced too. All together- too much money. I use it once in a while but could live without it. If it is not on some super sale- not worth it.

ATN69
KVRAF
1926 posts since 5 Oct, 2015 from Swedish / Living in Hong Kong

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:58 am

I am sure someone mentioned it before, but the biggest drawback is the dongle to hold the license. You cant make a copy of it and if it breaks or is stolen you have to purchase it all over again. And then you will purchase it because you cant use the sound packs without it. I use 2 computers and talked to reFX if it was possible to have 2 dongles but the answer was NO. I have to buy a second Nexus 2.

All in all I regret buying it. Sure some sounds are good but I hardly used it. I wish I spent that money on something else. But it was one of the first plugins I ever bought so I was just green and stupid I guess. Too bad reFX does not offer a better solution for the license. :(
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

frizzbee
KVRist
225 posts since 11 Jan, 2015

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:15 am

ATN69 wrote:if it breaks or is stolen you have to purchase it all over again
Thats only true if it gets stolen. If its broken you can send the dongle to at least Steinberg. They can try to read the licenses and synchronize them against their server logs. You may have to pay for a new dongle but the licenses will be replaced. This is not only valid for nexus but for all your products that are protected with an dongle.

But anyway I wrote my opinion about nexus earlier in this thread. After I read the preset browser sucks, I have to agree. It is too small and the presets are not named or categorized in a useful way besides the 2 characters at the beginning.

ATN69
KVRAF
1926 posts since 5 Oct, 2015 from Swedish / Living in Hong Kong

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:27 am

Thats only true if it gets stolen. If its broken you can send the dongle to at least Steinberg. They can try to read the licenses and synchronize them against their server logs. You may have to pay for a new dongle but the licenses will be replaced.
You are right but unfortunately there is no guarantee it can be done. I work as an engineer for a mobile phone company and unfortunately I know how sensitive USB devices can be. I understand that companies like reFX need to protect their software but this way they do it will not benefit the customers. Nexus is my only plugin with a dongle. I have iLok for some and that works fine.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3070 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:06 pm

yobare wrote:I have refx nexus. I can say if u wana have some nice sounds is great synth. But if u have hard time for waiting dont get it.

Loading time about 3-5 second for 1 layer.

The sounds = realy awesome.

I would say for basses use another synth. even if nexus 2 is great. U will get disapointed on the loading time.

And for accoustic sounds it has very good stuff.

But i still like this synth and will use it for accoustic sounds if need. Just 1 layer.. If i use more it takes to big loading time and to high cpu.

But over all 3/5 still a good synth.

Also support is good. Takes maximum 1 day to get response.

But its very expensive if u wana work with others.
You must be using broken hdd or computer from wood age.

Since i first tried nexus on my old p4 with 2gb of ddr2 ram even then it took just a second to load a patch. Now on my sdhdd just a blink and its loaded.

In general nexus rocks the socks because sounds are complete, gui is fast and not overwhelming. Navigation is easy. Refx nailed it ino. Despite its limitations fast gui alone makes it comfortable to use (i hate clunky slow plugins like omnisphere, serum ect).

brownysweet
KVRer
6 posts since 14 Oct, 2014

Post Mon May 13, 2019 2:54 pm

NEXUS 2 PLUS SYLENTH 1 PLUS DUNE 3 IS A COMBINATION THAT BEATS ANY HARDWARE SYNTH AT HALF THE PRICE, PERIOD.

brownysweet
KVRer
6 posts since 14 Oct, 2014

Post Mon May 13, 2019 2:57 pm

IF NOBODY REPLIES, LET ME ADD THAT NEXUS 2 IS BETTER THAN EVER, EVOLVING AND GETTING MUCH BETTER EVERY TIME, SYLENTH 1 IS SECOND TO NONE AND THE NEW DUNE 3 IS BETTER THAN ANY VIRUS SYNTH OR WHATEVER YOU CALL IT. SOFT SYNTHS HAVE COME A LONG WAY AND THEY ARE AFFORDABLE AND LAST FOREVER ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE THEM INSTALLED ON SEVERAL LAPTOPS LIKE ME. I HAVE NO NEED FOR HARDWARE EXCEPT FOR A GOOD CONTROLLER!!!!!

Orbit-50
KVRAF
2269 posts since 29 Jun, 2005 from La La Land

Post Mon May 13, 2019 4:58 pm

brownysweet wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:57 pm
IF NOBODY REPLIES, LET ME ADD THAT NEXUS 2 IS BETTER THAN EVER, EVOLVING AND GETTING MUCH BETTER EVERY TIME,
I usually don't feed trolls, but if you actually knew what you were talking about, the Nexus 2 engine hasn't changed in millions of years. It's evolution stopped a long time ago. Every expansion generally has the same sounds just packaged differently. Michael is a marketing genius and it's served him well for years.

Disclaimer: I like Nexus and have nothing against reFx or it's affiliates, but Goddammit, it's time for some sort of change from that camp.
Last edited by Orbit-50 on Mon May 13, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Spencer Maddox
KVRian
501 posts since 19 Oct, 2017 from a state of anxiety

Post Mon May 13, 2019 5:10 pm

brownysweet wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:57 pm
IF NOBODY REPLIES, LET ME ADD THAT NEXUS 2 IS BETTER THAN EVER, EVOLVING AND GETTING MUCH BETTER EVERY TIME, SYLENTH 1 IS SECOND TO NONE AND THE NEW DUNE 3 IS BETTER THAN ANY VIRUS SYNTH OR WHATEVER YOU CALL IT. SOFT SYNTHS HAVE COME A LONG WAY AND THEY ARE AFFORDABLE AND LAST FOREVER ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE THEM INSTALLED ON SEVERAL LAPTOPS LIKE ME. I HAVE NO NEED FOR HARDWARE EXCEPT FOR A GOOD CONTROLLER!!!!!
DON'T FORGET TO USE REAPER
Freinds Don't Let Freinds use Serum Presets

Hink
Rad Grandad
28437 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Mon May 13, 2019 5:28 pm

kindly stop the all caps, we already got one report, not necessary at all
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

msvs
KVRian
1392 posts since 18 Apr, 2011

Post Wed May 15, 2019 10:16 pm

let me clear some facts pls:

there are NO duplicated (re-using old presets in newer expansions)!
Every sound designer has the strict mission to create >128 new presets. He is allowed to use the factory content in exceptions (layering a click on top or a filtered piano underneath) but the overall patch must be something new.
Furthermore there is development all the time under the hood:
nexus startet in v1.0 with 4 OSCs and 4 layers. Nowadays we are at 64 OSCs which can be freely routed/grouped into 16 layers, round robin, velocity zones and tons more. Not to mention that expansion creation got more and more complex. Making an expansion takes ~3 months. Furthermore there is something exciting in development, I can not speak further about it, more infos soon.

AnX
KVRAF
4367 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 pm

unless its being opened up, its fake news

DrGonzo
KVRAF
2206 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Wed May 15, 2019 10:49 pm

Nexus is cool. Absolutely, the browser is limited and the GUI is too small. But the expansions are great. I always find something that I like when using Nexus.

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
ELEKTRONIQ for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Roland S750/DJ70 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2646 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:37 pm

AnX wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 pm
unless its being opened up, its fake news
Just to say I loathe the Trumpian incorrect use of the term "fake news".

Looking forward to the next version of Nexus, regardless of whether or not it is opened up (and I suspect it will not be). I think its already known that the browser will be overhauled and can't come soon enough.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

Return to “Instruments”