The search for a Kurzweil K2000 piano soundalike VST

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
5573 posts since 13 Jan, 2005 from the bottom of my heart

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:52 am

EvilDragon wrote:That's a pretty good price considering it used to have a zero on top in the 90s. :D
Yeah thats the point. Does it makes sense to have it nowdays?The Piano is something people love. I have a Roland 5050 so i don't know if it makes any sense to buy another 90's module.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

User avatar
KVRian
548 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:47 am

The K2000 piano is sub par. Just listen to the sustain - it sounds BAD by today's standards.
I had a K2500 which I got rid of and has the same pianos.
The Kurzweil piano that people love is the Triple Strike Piano patch on the K2600 onwards - look this one up perhaps!

User avatar
KVRian
832 posts since 25 May, 2010 from Hessisch Uganda, Germany

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:55 am

Totally agree - while the K2000 really has a great sound potential otherwise, the Pianos are crap. :(

Cheers, Björn

User avatar
KVRAF
32939 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:02 am

The Kurzweil piano I love is this one (cleverly relabelled):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3barCgWQpxA

User avatar
KVRAF
1956 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:23 am

aMUSEd wrote:The Kurzweil piano I love is this one (cleverly relabelled):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3barCgWQpxA
Yeah, it's quite similar sounding to the MicroPiano - it's not a "good" sound, it's small and a bit plastic sounding, but it's enough of it's own unique character to be interesting. Sometimes a 20GB Bosendorfer isn't the right thing to put in a rock mix, whereas a little, bright cheap sound can cut through in just the right way...

User avatar
KVRAF
32939 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:41 am

I think it sounds very full and not at all plastic - but I think she's using a PC3X which probably has expanded samples compared to the earlier models.

User avatar
KVRian
548 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:25 am

That's what I consider to be the quintessential K sound.

https://youtu.be/ojQFMml62yI?t=42s

User avatar
KVRAF
21938 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:48 am

aMUSEd wrote: but I think she's using a PC3X which probably has expanded samples compared to the earlier models.
PC3 has the same piano samples as K2600.

KVRist
253 posts since 18 Oct, 2008

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:00 am

So the way I see it, there is a market niche for characteristic Kurzweil sounds in sample form to use on your PC or MAC? I wonder why nobody has made a Kontakt library yet. It would be a good seller for sure...

User avatar
KVRAF
1956 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:03 am

fischkopf wrote:So the way I see it, there is a market niche for characteristic Kurzweil sounds in sample form to use on your PC or MAC? I wonder why nobody has made a Kontakt library yet. It would be a good seller for sure...
Because you can't resell someone else's recordings without licensing them from Kurzweil, something they probably aren't keen on ("Get the awesome Kurzweil sound without having to buy a Kurzweil!")

KVRist
453 posts since 22 Aug, 2013

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:25 am

I've had the PC1X 000-stereo grand patch sampled, if anyone interested, please let me know.
I'll share it freely here.

(but need sometime to cut and naming the samples because i've only done the highest velocity samples, two more velocities to go)

User avatar
KVRAF
32939 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:33 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: but I think she's using a PC3X which probably has expanded samples compared to the earlier models.
PC3 has the same piano samples as K2600.
Amazing, well I can see why Amanda likes it, it does sound great considering the sample size, much better than I have heard from equivalent workstations at least.

KVRist
253 posts since 18 Oct, 2008

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:35 pm

kinwie wrote:I've had the PC1X 000-stereo grand patch sampled, if anyone interested, please let me know.
I'll share it freely here.

(but need sometime to cut and naming the samples because i've only done the highest velocity samples, two more velocities to go)
I'm definitely interested in free stuff. :D

KVRist
453 posts since 22 Aug, 2013

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:44 pm

fischkopf wrote:
kinwie wrote:I've had the PC1X 000-stereo grand patch sampled, if anyone interested, please let me know.
I'll share it freely here.

(but need sometime to cut and naming the samples because i've only done the highest velocity samples, two more velocities to go)
I'm definitely interested in free stuff. :D
okay...

KVRist
453 posts since 22 Aug, 2013

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:49 pm

beely wrote:
fischkopf wrote:So the way I see it, there is a market niche for characteristic Kurzweil sounds in sample form to use on your PC or MAC? I wonder why nobody has made a Kontakt library yet. It would be a good seller for sure...
Because you can't resell someone else's recordings without licensing them from Kurzweil, something they probably aren't keen on ("Get the awesome Kurzweil sound without having to buy a Kurzweil!")
Huh...again, so we are not allowed to create and share any patch that we self-sampled as freebie?

Return to “Instruments”