The search for a Kurzweil K2000 piano soundalike VST

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
21943 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:20 am

You are allowed to have it for yourself, but not distribute it.

KVRAF
10262 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:32 am

murnau wrote:Sorry for beeing offtopic but maybe it's of interest for others too: I could get a working good looking K2000R for something around 240 EUR. Is the price okay nowdays?
Its a good price imho.

If it has the sampling expansion card and ram, it's even more of a good deal.

Just check the display ( they tend to become difficult to read over time), the battery, and the sliders.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

User avatar
KVRAF
1965 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:37 am

kinwie wrote:Huh...again, so we are not allowed to create and share any patch that we self-sampled as freebie?
If you sample a patch from an analog synth, then yes. However, if you resampled a synth which contains sound recordings owned by the manufacturer, those recordings are not yours to resell. This is why you are not allowed to resell samples of samples, or romplers, regardless of what additional sound design work you did, unless you have a licence from the sound recordings copyright holder that permits you to do so.

KVRAF
14516 posts since 19 Oct, 2003 from Berlin, Germany

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:58 am

Lotuzia wrote:
murnau wrote:Sorry for beeing offtopic but maybe it's of interest for others too: I could get a working good looking K2000R for something around 240 EUR. Is the price okay nowdays?
Its a good price imho.

If it has the sampling expansion card and ram, it's even more of a good deal.

Just check the display ( they tend to become difficult to read over time), the battery, and the sliders.
We're talking about a rack version of the K2000. So no sliders (but the big knob is still there!), and I'm unsure of the battery.

The Batteries are the easiest to fix with the Keyboard version - at the bottom of the keyboard is a lid to exchange 3xAA's. The sliders can be cleaned/fixed with contact spray, same with the mod wheel and the program wheel. The LCD on my 20+ year old device is still excellent to read, and the contrast can be adjusted in the software.


murnau wrote:Does it makes sense to have it nowdays?The Piano is something people love. I have a Roland 5050 so i don't know if it makes any sense to buy another 90's module.
Alternately, you can still get the PC2R (or the former model of it), which only features the Pianos. Can also go for dirt cheap on a SmallAds system.


As for... "does it make sense to have it nowadays" - personally, in a world of over processed sounds, and if you're a hybrid user (software and hardware), I'd say yes.

Why? Roland and Kurzweil sound significantly different, but complement each other really well. Both are flagship companies. If you have a XV50x0 module and any Kurzweil K2x00 - either fully upgraded or not, you have a load of great sounds to boot with. Dare I say that back in the days it was what Omnisphere is now. Just record them dry (and not with internal FX, who are still great sounding these days IMO), and go from there.


My Kurzweil K2000 Calvin board (v1, 16MB RAM) is still in use these days. And my MU-15's XG sounds are sometimes the essence in an else overprocessed production.



To the OP:
If you're after a software solution for Digital Pianos, and have Kontakt already:
- Gospel Musicians MKSensation (which is a Roland MKS-20, mixed with synths)
- Hollow Sun vKS-20 (similar concept, but only a fraction of the price)

Granted, no Kurzweil, but maybe just the right think you're looking for.
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ]

KVRist
453 posts since 22 Aug, 2013

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:50 am

EvilDragon wrote:You are allowed to have it for yourself, but not distribute it.
okay, thanks for the info!

KVRist
453 posts since 22 Aug, 2013

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:52 am

beely wrote:
kinwie wrote:Huh...again, so we are not allowed to create and share any patch that we self-sampled as freebie?
If you sample a patch from an analog synth, then yes. However, if you resampled a synth which contains sound recordings owned by the manufacturer, those recordings are not yours to resell. This is why you are not allowed to resell samples of samples, or romplers, regardless of what additional sound design work you did, unless you have a licence from the sound recordings copyright holder that permits you to do so.
Thanks for the explanation

KVRAF
10262 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:48 am

Compyfox wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
murnau wrote:Sorry for beeing offtopic but maybe it's of interest for others too: I could get a working good looking K2000R for something around 240 EUR. Is the price okay nowdays?
Its a good price imho.

If it has the sampling expansion card and ram, it's even more of a good deal.

Just check the display ( they tend to become difficult to read over time), the battery, and the sliders.
We're talking about a rack version of the K2000. So no sliders (but the big knob is still there!), and I'm unsure of the battery.

The Batteries are the easiest to fix with the Keyboard version - at the bottom of the keyboard is a lid to exchange 3xAA's. The sliders can be cleaned/fixed with contact spray, same with the mod wheel and the program wheel. The LCD on my 20+ year old device is still excellent to read, and the contrast can be adjusted in the software.


murnau wrote:Does it makes sense to have it nowdays?The Piano is something people love. I have a Roland 5050 so i don't know if it makes any sense to buy another 90's module.
Alternately, you can still get the PC2R (or the former model of it), which only features the Pianos. Can also go for dirt cheap on a SmallAds system.


As for... "does it make sense to have it nowadays" - personally, in a world of over processed sounds, and if you're a hybrid user (software and hardware), I'd say yes.

Why? Roland and Kurzweil sound significantly different, but complement each other really well. Both are flagship companies. If you have a XV50x0 module and any Kurzweil K2x00 - either fully upgraded or not, you have a load of great sounds to boot with. Dare I say that back in the days it was what Omnisphere is now. Just record them dry (and not with internal FX, who are still great sounding these days IMO), and go from there.


My Kurzweil K2000 Calvin board (v1, 16MB RAM) is still in use these days. And my MU-15's XG sounds are sometimes the essence in an else overprocessed production.



To the OP:
If you're after a software solution for Digital Pianos, and have Kontakt already:
- Gospel Musicians MKSensation (which is a Roland MKS-20, mixed with synths)
- Hollow Sun vKS-20 (similar concept, but only a fraction of the price)

Granted, no Kurzweil, but maybe just the right think you're looking for.
Well the LCD on my k2000 -KB- is very weak now, even with the full contrast. I'll probably need to replace it in the not too far future.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

User avatar
KVRAF
21943 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:51 am

Thankfully I think it's the same display as used on Korg Wavestation and Kawai K5000, so it's easy to find a drop-in replacement.

User avatar
KVRAF
2129 posts since 4 Dec, 2011 from Brasília, Brazil

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:05 am

Although is not a real piano, I like the piano on Hollow Sun vKS-20 a lot.

KVRAF
10262 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:16 am

EvilDragon wrote:Thankfully I think it's the same display as used on Korg Wavestation and Kawai K5000, so it's easy to find a drop-in replacement.
Thanks ED :hug:

Yeah I seem to remember I have saved a page somewhere in my favorites about the display. I'll add this one in case of :)

I have so many subjects bookmarked 'in case of' about my hardware little -and nevertheless precious- things that I sometimes have hard times to find them when I really need them ...
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

KVRAF
14516 posts since 19 Oct, 2003 from Berlin, Germany

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:28 am

I think the K2000 LCD is the easiest to find. And if not, DIY pages might do the trick. If everything else fails, try to contact Kurzweil directly. They do have third party companies now that handle spare parts and the likes. And exchanging spare parts is (thankfully) really easy with this device.

Upgrading - different topic (I still have v2.00C chips, but they are useless without the circuit mods to which I don't have access to - and I can't get v3.54C chipsets anymore, which also need a circuit mod btw!). Same with repairing the DAC (my DAC barfed on me at some day... resulted in a reduced signal on one channel and a lot of noise - which was gone once I raised the output signal strength - the individual outs without FX do work flawlessly however).

Alternatively, I can recommend to hunt down the old YahooGroups Kurzweil K2000 group. They were really helpful back in the days. But I didn't read any message from them in months.


waltercruz wrote:Although is not a real piano, I like the piano on Hollow Sun vKS-20 a lot.
I still have to test this one, as it is a similar concept to the GospelMusicians' version (with one or two changes IIRC) and only a fraction of the price. But I never made it before Steven Howell passed away.

It actually still costs 20GBP + VAT (that's like 30USD, or roughly 33EUR incl VAT). And EvilDragon is reading along - so if there are questions to be answered about this sample set - he is the right person for that.
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ]

User avatar
KVRAF
21943 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:43 am

Yeh, MKS-20 is a totally different world to K2000 piano, in that it sounds less realistic, but still not bad depending on what the song needs. Great for layering with other sounds. vKS20 one-ups the hardware original by providing 2-part layering or splitting, plus a bit of other tweakage. You can get some seriously stupendous pads with it O.o;


Worry not Compy, if you purchase it, proceeds are still going to the Howell family :)

User avatar
KVRAF
2129 posts since 4 Dec, 2011 from Brasília, Brazil

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:56 am

Maybe this piano is closer to what are you searching?

http://www.productionvoices.com/product ... -piano-le/

User avatar
KVRAF
21943 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:01 am

That's a Yamaha C3. Kurzweil sampled a Steinway Model D.

KVRer
10 posts since 17 Nov, 2004 from san diego, ca

Post Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:24 pm

A K2000 like softsynth does exist. I am making it :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=irBaba13quQ

It is still very much a work in progress.

Obviously, for legal reasons - I cannot release the ROMS. I had a k2000 die on me so I recovered the ROM data and started hacking away trying to recreate VAST.


mtm

Return to “Instruments”