The search for a Kurzweil K2000 piano soundalike VST

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
ghettosynth
KVRAF
13133 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:58 pm

DJErmac wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:51 pm
Yes, try to justify all you want with all the quotes you want, to justify you're right my friend. :D
You've learned something today, that it's not just my opinion. It's sad that he died young, but that's sad, and that's it. I don't respect Robert Miles as an underground producer worthy of the level of hagiography that he seems to attract. I think that he got lucky, just like the Video Kids. Without that luck and attention from the mainstream, we never would have heard his 2nd and 3rd albums. In fact, I doubt that they would have seen the light of day. They're not anywhere near as bad as Dreamland, but they're also not, IMNSHO, all that good.

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRAF
1699 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:26 pm

ghettosynth wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:58 pm
DJErmac wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:51 pm
Yes, try to justify all you want with all the quotes you want, to justify you're right my friend. :D
You've learned something today, that it's not just my opinion. It's sad that he died young, but that's sad, and that's it. I don't respect Robert Miles as an underground producer worthy of the level of hagiography that he seems to attract. I think that he got lucky, just like the Video Kids. Without that luck and attention from the mainstream, we never would have heard his 2nd and 3rd albums. In fact, I doubt that they would have seen the light of day. They're not anywhere near as bad as Dreamland, but they're also not, IMNSHO, all that good.
I just DON'T CARE if it's your opinion or the opinion of another random guy !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's just another random guy to me !
You are not my close friend, you are not my label manager, your opinion changes nothing to my life !! :D
Who are you trying to convince ?
I just accept your opinion and leave you with it. And I still have mine.
Have a very nice day. :)
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRAF
1699 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:35 pm

Listen : you want to be right ? You're right.
That's okay ? Can we move on ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

gaggle of hermits
KVRist
300 posts since 18 Jul, 2021

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:47 pm

once upon a time there was a thread about a piano. but ghetto trolls gotta troll

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13133 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:34 pm

gaggle of hermits wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:47 pm
once upon a time there was a thread about a piano. but ghetto trolls gotta troll
I see that you're new here. Conversations shift, get over it. If you want to talk about the piano, talk about the piano. Contribute something, instead of making content-less and meaningless posts with no other purpose than to stir up shit.

I still have my K2000r, I never liked the piano in it. In fact, it was quite the ongoing discussion back in the day about how to get the best piano into 16MB of sample ram. I find it interesting how so many of those old mailing lists and forums are gone now.

Any simple small sample piano can come close enough to the built in piano sound. It's not really much different than trying to recreate the feel of the M1 piano. There's nothing exciting about the VAST processing on the piano samples. There are two (Kurzweil) layers each with 39 multi-samples in the default piano Stereo Grand. Really, they are just a single layer split down the middle.

That's it. You can borrow or rent one and knock out a Kontact patch in an afternoon. It's, literally, nothing but a tiny sampled piano stretched across two layers. There is some slight processing with the lowpass that's different per layer, but I believe that's only tied to the mod wheel for making it a bit darker.

The 4-pole filter in the K2K sucks. I remember thinking that it sucked when it was new. In fact, I was quite disappointed at how bad it was for how expensive it was.

Here's someone's uploaded a crap sample at C5.

https://freewavesamples.com/kurzweil-k2 ... o-grand-c5

All the piano patches use the same f**king sample set with either a bit of excitement or a bit of filtering.

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRAF
1699 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:04 am

You don’t even seem to REALIZE !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
One more endless post from you on this forum trying to save your reputation here, trying everything you can, again and again, blaming the guy because he’s new and doesn’t know the forum as YOU know it. This time, to sum it up, you’re trying to justify your disrespect of the song and the topic because you own the keyboard !!!! And you’ll keep on, as usual, because your image on KVR is everything to you. You’re purely magical !! :D
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

AnX
KVRAF
10189 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:11 am

MDA Piano

zzz00m
KVRAF
2677 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:14 am

ghettosynth wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:34 pm

I still have my K2000r, I never liked the piano in it. In fact, it was quite the ongoing discussion back in the day about how to get the best piano into 16MB of sample ram. I find it interesting how so many of those old mailing lists and forums are gone now.
The OP mistakenly assumed that the example Floyd track was a sampled piano, perhaps a K2000 that was frequently used by Richard Wright for live performances.

So this topic was titled "The search for a Kurzweil piano soundalike VST".

But the reality is that this was an album only track recorded in a studio, and never performed live, so most likely a real piano was used.

Ironic... :D
Windows10; plugins from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Tone2, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN ...

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRAF
1699 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 am

Sorry to keep it off-topic for a while but...
I’ve been on forums for 20 years now. There are 2 types of posters.
The ones who are just passing by, answering threads when they feel like, when they have something to say, when they have a question. Well, this is how I see forums.
And the ones who think they own the forum : their life is here and nowhere else. They are easy to spot : their postcount is absolutely crazy, they try to intimidate the newbies saying they’re the bosses here, and they could die writing endless sh!t to keep the illusion they’re respected somewhere in their life. :D

Now please, I also was searching for this piano, I didn’t end up there turning the wrong way...
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

User avatar
Uncle E
KVRAF
12771 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:28 am

My postcount is absolutely crazy but I think I’m the oldest active KVR member.

Listening back on Children now, it seems likely that other synths were used (Nord?) but the piano, strings, and bass synth could have been Kurzweil and the drums and acoustic guitar could have been samples loaded into the Kurzweil. If someone is looking for a 90’s workstation experience for cheap, I’d recommend a K2500/K2600 with KDFX, an SY99, or a Triton with a MOSS board over a K2000. I still love my K2000 but it sounds congested compared to a K2500 with KDFX.

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRAF
1699 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:35 am

Uncle E wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:28 am
My postcount is absolutely crazy but I think I’m the oldest active KVR member.
In no way I could be including you. I know who you are, you are a good person, you or your coworkers helped me several times, I’ve never seen you in a random endless fight here. :tu:
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13133 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:28 am

Uncle E wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:28 am
If someone is looking for a 90’s workstation experience for cheap, I’d recommend a K2500/K2600 with KDFX, an SY99, or a Triton with a MOSS board over a K2000. I still love my K2000 but it sounds congested compared to a K2500 with KDFX.
I agree. The DSP256 that is always on, even on the digital outs, is nothing compared to the KDFX.

briefcasemanx
KVRian
915 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:38 am

I just want to hear more cheesy European music.

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13133 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:49 am

zzz00m wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:14 am
ghettosynth wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:34 pm

I still have my K2000r, I never liked the piano in it. In fact, it was quite the ongoing discussion back in the day about how to get the best piano into 16MB of sample ram. I find it interesting how so many of those old mailing lists and forums are gone now.
The OP mistakenly assumed that the example Floyd track was a sampled piano, perhaps a K2000 that was frequently used by Richard Wright for live performances.

So this topic was titled "The search for a Kurzweil piano soundalike VST".

But the reality is that this was an album only track recorded in a studio, and never performed live, so most likely a real piano was used.

Ironic... :D
I find the nostalgia for relatively easy to obtain 90s digital sounds weird. K2000s are basically trash today. They're not hard to find if you really want the sound, and they are so simple, compared to samples today, that you literally could create a kontakt or or simpler patch in an afternoon and you would have the sound in your computer.

Samplemania asserts that Children relied heavily on the K2K.
These are basically standard piano, syn bass and string/pad sounds bathed in delay and reverb, but they are particular nonetheless. Italian dj/producer Robert Miles wrote this hit using a Kurzweil K2000 to "calm down" the kids before they drove back home from the discos (he even used the great K2000 "Thunder" patch in this song).

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13133 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:38 am
I just want to hear more cheesy European music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdNEXbwlUKc

Return to “Instruments”