Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
himalaya
KVRAF
5234 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:49 pm

JerGoertz wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:53 pm
himalaya wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:47 pm
You tell me :)
I'd say the SH-101 is first. It sounds richer and rounder to me, though not by much.
They are mixed. :D
You hear Strobe 1 first three times.
Sh101 first two times... (but in which files? ha!)
So by that account, Strobe sounds richer and rounder than the real Sh101. Take that EvilDragon! :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design

JerGoertz
KVRAF
2856 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:02 pm

himalaya wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:49 pm
JerGoertz wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:53 pm
himalaya wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:47 pm
You tell me :)
I'd say the SH-101 is first. It sounds richer and rounder to me, though not by much.
They are mixed. :D
You hear Strobe 1 first three times.
Sh101 first two times... (but in which files? ha!)
So by that account, Strobe sounds richer and rounder than the real Sh101. Take that EvilDragon! :D
:lol: Okay, how about you tell us which ones?
A well-behaved signature.

mholloway
KVRian
1433 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:22 pm

well for me, in 'bounce.wav' , the synth that plays second sounds both better to me, and like a 'real' SH-101. It seems to have the 'warmth' of an analog synth, FWIW. if it's actually Strobe, great; but I bet the first playthrough is strobe (again, just in 'bounce.wav') because that one sounds kinda...hard to explain, but too bright, a little thin. it lacks 'roundness'.

oh man I hate that I'm using these terms :(

but in that particular file, the difference seemed really obvious to me, FWIW.
https://tvhwy.bandcamp.com/releases - classic IDM by TV HWY
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

mxbf
KVRist
156 posts since 30 Mar, 2019

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:42 pm

mholloway wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:22 pm
well for me, in 'bounce.wav' , the synth that plays second sounds both better to me, and like a 'real' SH-101. It seems to have the 'warmth' of an analog synth, FWIW. if it's actually Strobe, great; but I bet the first playthrough is strobe (again, just in 'bounce.wav') because that one sounds kinda...hard to explain, but too bright, a little thin. it lacks 'roundness'.

oh man I hate that I'm using these terms :(

but in that particular file, the difference seemed really obvious to me, FWIW.
was gonna say the same thing

User avatar
Uncle E
KVRAF
11830 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:11 am

mholloway wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:22 pm
well for me, in 'bounce.wav' , the synth that plays second sounds both better to me, and like a 'real' SH-101. It seems to have the 'warmth' of an analog synth, FWIW. if it's actually Strobe, great; but I bet the first playthrough is strobe (again, just in 'bounce.wav') because that one sounds kinda...hard to explain, but too bright, a little thin. it lacks 'roundness'.
Try this: download the file, use a matching EQ (I used Ozone Equalizer) to match the first half to the second half, and then use that setting with Strobe. I found that the matching equalization is subtle but it definitely smooths out Strobe, even when I'm using sounds totally different from Himalaya's.

Examigan
KVRAF
5292 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:14 am

Strobe2 $19.99 here, but I think it is for the U.S only:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... 8000000000

SILAworld
KVRer
7 posts since 4 Jun, 2020

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:24 am

Examigan wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:14 am
Strobe2 $19.99 here, but I think it is for the U.S only:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... 8000000000
Would you know whether this is for a download or a physical copy?

User avatar
consordini
KVRist
356 posts since 6 May, 2020

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:41 am

^ The link leads to a DV Mark Speaker Cabinet?
Take care :wink:

Examigan
KVRAF
5292 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:53 am

It works for me here.

User avatar
waltercruz
KVRAF
1910 posts since 4 Dec, 2011 from Brasília, Brazil

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:01 am

SILAworld wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:24 am

Would you know whether this is for a download or a physical copy?
It seems to be a physical copy... after VAT and delivery, $138 to me on Brazil :dog:

SILAworld
KVRer
7 posts since 4 Jun, 2020

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:34 am

oh damn, sorry to read that! thank you for your feedback though, really appreciate it! I hope you got to cancel the order in time :)

raiderpdog
KVRian
936 posts since 26 Jul, 2018

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:55 am

my serial number/box just arrived, glad I stumbled blindly on this thread last week. Hell of a deal for 19.99!

ScottZ
KVRist
306 posts since 19 Feb, 2011

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Playing with the demo for this for most patches besides leads it pauses between notes is it running out polyphony, most other synths I have don't do this?

twal
KVRist
159 posts since 10 Feb, 2017

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:36 pm

I have had some problems with Strobe 2 as well, but it's a great synth. The presets are are not tame enough for me to mix, but would love to see if anyone out there knows of good preset packs? In this video presets are made for Strobe 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K37ou-T7rAc
At 4:45 Usesomechorus is a beautiful sound and would love to see if anyone could remake the 7 skies presets since Strobe 1 presets are not compatible with Strobe 2!

User avatar
zvenx
KVRAF
8136 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

Post Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Whilst they are not 100% compatible, I would definitely not say they are incompatible, probably more like 90% (except the Arp stuff)
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”