Best Service Titan 2 drama

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian
839 posts since 26 Jan, 2014 from United States of America

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Hey there

I bought Best Servive Titan 2 about a week ago. Can not share my impression because I am still trying to install it. The tech support is open on weekend, which is great, but the Engine VST and the library are the nightmare so far. It had issue with unzipping the image files and would quit after first part of library unzips. There 13 parts. So now we try to figure out if it already unzipped everything but just saying "Unzipping part one" or if it actually quit after part one, as it supposed to unzip all 13 parts automatically. I had errors with "Add Library", when that resolved, I had error with missing image files for Engine interface, the registration did not work when going to get responce to computer ID... I did get to see the library last night and briefly play few sounds.

First impression: It sounds chip as if they sampled old keyboards, and then there some promising sounds. The effects are probably not that good because it does not sound smoth and warm like new modern synths. But I only heard may be 15 sounds. Will explore further while we still trying to figure out if everything installed and where are missing image files...

KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Astralv wrote:I bought Best Servive Titan 2 about a week ago.
Why?

Don't say that the KVR massive didn't tell you to think twice about it:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... n#p6240073

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:43 pm

I was curious. Yes, I already have all the original synths in hardware and software, but they repeat each other as well, and I still buy them. The next synth ever released will be about 70% the same as all other with may be 10 % of new sounds and 20% of "I wish I could delete it" sounds. Plus nobody else had anything to sale. I had some extra money. By the way... I bought something else that I may share in another post when I test it more... That stuff is some serious high...

I have to listen Titan. Not saying it is bad yet. Will give it a chance when it works. So far the tech support blamed it on my Antivirus, Windows 10 is innocent...

KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Astralv wrote:I was curious.
..and what happened to the cat then?

Urs
u-he
25633 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Hehe, once it works it'd be lovely to know whether or not the presets in the respective categories sound like spitting images of the respective presets of the respective synths. And if so, how do they react on Velocity, ModWheel and Aftertouch in comparison?

Banned
22470 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:56 pm

Urs wrote:Hehe, once it works it'd be lovely to know whether or not the presets in the respective categories sound like spitting images of the respective presets of the respective synths. And if so, how do they react on Velocity, ModWheel and Aftertouch in comparison?

well obviously they can't sound the same..
what they COULD do if they spent any time on actual programming is use engine's own features to add some spice to the presets, won't know till i check.

I never "bought" titan, but did choose it as a free product 3 years back during a buy one get one free promotion. Bought 3 products got 3 free.

I wanted 5 of them so the only way to do it was to buy 3 LOL no way around it, so i couldn't work out what to choose for last freebie so just went with titan. Version one sound library was pretty decent, engine had all it's crash quirks worked out some time back.

Just upgraded forest kingdom,ERA,Titan to version 2 in a bundle deal as i had old ones of all of them. It was like i paid for the first 2 and got titan upgrade for free again, so why not. Will check it all out in the coming weeks.

By the way., that reviewer who did a video (sounds and gear) thought every time you wanted to change a sound(even just to go to the next one), that you had to open the menu and navigate to where you were and choose the next one! Just watching it was painful. He obviously couldn't see that engine provides browsing arrows right next to the patch.

I don't know why that guy keeps on getting stuff to review, his reviews are God awful every time, and just hammers away and talks without knowledge about the products.

That said some of the titan 2 sounds he played were good, some meh, but isn't that the case with any rompler bank?

Also, bestservice have always been a really cool company and I am a but surprised they went and sampled only soft synths for version 2 (thankfully v1 library still included) - if they sampled straight presets that is actually pretty uncool. I'm going to contact them and see what they have to say about the whole thing.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:21 am

I wish those up and down errows were larger. I keep going down and then realize- I am going up and hearing the same sound. Have to keep the mouse on the errow very slose and pay attention.
Just upgraded forest kingdom,ERA,Titan to version 2 in a bundle deal as i had old ones of all of them. It was like i paid for the first 2 and got titan upgrade for free again, so why not. Will check it all out in the coming weeks.
Do we need Engine to use those libraries? I was always thinking they were for Play because I saw them originally at East West.

I still dont know if I got everything installed or not as I only saw Part 1 unzipping and there are 13 parts. We keep going back and force with a tech support person and I did not get clear answer. He recommends remote access session but they are in Germany and i am in the States, so it is 6 hours difference- I am at work when they open.

The good news is that some sounds are nice. It has its own MIDI pharses player. I am not sure what format and if there is a way to imporort new MIDI phrases, but there is a folder with about 50 phrases that you can select for each sound. If we could save a midi clip and put it in that folder, could be interesting.

The effects kind of "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sounding, somewhat chip.

Many sounds have the filters section grayed out. I keep trying Mod wheel but nothing happens. Appears that the sounds stay the same- take it or leave it- no Cutoff/reso effect. There are filters, I attempted to move microscopic sliders but not much happening. Will continue to work with it and see what I can find.

Banned

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:12 pm

Astralv wrote:I wish those up and down errows were larger. I keep going down and then realize- I am going up and hearing the same sound. Have to keep the mouse on the errow very slose and pay attention.
Do we need Engine to use those libraries? I was always thinking they were for Play because I saw them originally at East West.

I still dont know if I got everything installed or not as I only saw Part 1 unzipping and there are 13 parts. We keep going back and force with a tech support person and I did not get clear answer. He recommends remote access session but they are in Germany and i am in the States, so it is 6 hours difference- I am at work when they open.

The good news is that some sounds are nice. It has its own MIDI pharses player. I am not sure what format and if there is a way to imporort new MIDI phrases, but there is a folder with about 50 phrases that you can select for each sound. If we could save a midi clip and put it in that folder, could be interesting.

The effects kind of "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sounding, somewhat chip.

Many sounds have the filters section grayed out. I keep trying Mod wheel but nothing happens. Appears that the sounds stay the same- take it or leave it- no Cutoff/reso effect. There are filters, I attempted to move microscopic sliders but not much happening. Will continue to work with it and see what I can find.

yes the era/ML etc all use engine now.. i believe there was indeed once kontakt or play (can't remember which) versions, but like eastwest did with play, itself, bestservice decided to make their own sampler format. I wish everything just stuck to kontakt but I guess people don't want to pay licensing fees for other dev's sample players, (and limiting major libraries to only the full kontakt version is a bad business move, so i understand in that sense).

if it is one zip file split into 13 parts then that's correct you will only see one unzipping.. if you really want to be sure it is unzipping all, set your unzipper to "delete archives after extraction".. if everything is correct then all compressed files should be int he recycle bin after successful unzipping/unraring etc.

If there are like thousands of sounds there then it should be the right thing. I can't imagine it would be working otherwise?

Banned

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:14 pm

by the way you first said you only heard 15 sounds.. that really isn't a way to make a judgement.

You might want to check if you can see the full titan ONE library there, and then see the titan 2 (you can see the drop down list in the video review, so you can easily check if you have all categories).

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:18 pm

if it is one zip file split into 13 parts then that's correct you will only see one unzipping..
It is physically 13 files, and it says, "Unzipping part 1". It does not say "unzipping file 1" If it says, unzipping part one, how can I know it unzips part 13?
I am using 7Zip, I did not see that option to delete the original files.

The first day I heard 15 sounds. The next day I heard more.

It has Titan 1, Titan 2 and Synths libraries. Yes, it plays all the sounds... It does not look like it has thousands of sounds.

Banned

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:54 am

Astralv wrote:
if it is one zip file split into 13 parts then that's correct you will only see one unzipping..
It is physically 13 files, and it says, "Unzipping part 1". It does not say "unzipping file 1" If it says, unzipping part one, how can I know it unzips part 13?
I am using 7Zip, I did not see that option to delete the original files.

The first day I heard 15 sounds. The next day I heard more.

It has Titan 1, Titan 2 and Synths libraries. Yes, it plays all the sounds... It does not look like it has thousands of sounds.

that's all you see when a file is split into parts, i am trying to tell you. It accesses the other parts but will only say unzipping part 1.

KVRian
787 posts since 8 Jan, 2012 from frankfurt, Germany

Post Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:25 am

so how does it sound ? Is titan2 worth the special offer 89€ and is it comparable to nexus / UVI Vintage Vault / Trilian ?
I am thinking there could be some nice presets

KVRAF
2783 posts since 14 Feb, 2001 from What do you care? :)

Post Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:33 am

When unzipping, don't you just click on the first file and then the entire group gets unpacked? That's how it worked in the past. :?:

As far as how it sounds... I have Titan1 (haven't decided whether it's worth upgrading). IMHO... it isn't nearly in the same league as the libraries from UVI. Furthermore, if you have Falcon you can further go to town and customize to taste. Engine is okay... but again imo, not in the same league as Falcon.

How are the sounds in Titan2 organized? I hope maybe better than in Titan1? 22,000 some odd sounds is a huge amount... and organization becomes key. Also... once you get into that many sounds and that many choices... you're going to spend all your time searching for that perfect sound and not so much actually making music, lol.

KVRian
787 posts since 8 Jan, 2012 from frankfurt, Germany

Post Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:29 am

I bought it and will try it out, maybe if 10% are good, it's a deal for this price

KVRist
153 posts since 6 Sep, 2010

Post Tue May 04, 2021 6:49 am

Looking for the list of synths and Waldorfs in particular if any

Return to “Instruments”