UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I just bought ether fields (or to be more precise: got it for free. Thanks very much UVI for giving me a 80$ voucher out of the blue).
That is a fantastic expansion. Congratulations Simon.

rasmusklump wrote:I just bought ether fields (or to be more precise: got it for free. Thanks very much UVI for giving me a 80$ voucher out of the blue).
That is a fantastic expansion. Congratulations Simon.
Thank you, I'm happy to read that :party:
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi, just got falcon and use it in Ableton Live. Love the synth but disappointed that I can't drap and drop samples from within Ableton Live (whether in clips or sample pool) into UVI Falcon interface (for IRCAM granular etc). Demo's I tried of Halion and Venger and most all other VSTs I have can do this. Is there a key shortcut I'm missing that can do this or is this feature coming? Any info much appreciated!

tomheavybeats wrote:Hi, just got falcon and use it in Ableton Live. Love the synth but disappointed that I can't drap and drop samples from within Ableton Live (whether in clips or sample pool) into UVI Falcon interface (for IRCAM granular etc). Demo's I tried of Halion and Venger and most all other VSTs I have can do this. Is there a key shortcut I'm missing that can do this or is this feature coming? Any info much appreciated!
It works, just tested. I think you did not create the sound source first, then drop the sample. AKA drop a new sampler (any type) into the keyzone, then you'll have an empty sound source (You'll see the text "drag & drop a sample here") then you can drop from anywhere in Ableton into that zone.

Edit: it works even with dropping the sample into the keyzone and loads a sampler sound source. I think you were tempted to drag & drop into empty area between Oscillator(s) and the collapsed Mapping. Just expand Mappign and save it as default in Ableton then you can drag and drop straight there.

tomheavybeats wrote:Hi, just got falcon and use it in Ableton Live. Love the synth but disappointed that I can't drap and drop samples from within Ableton Live (whether in clips or sample pool) into UVI Falcon interface (for IRCAM granular etc). Demo's I tried of Halion and Venger and most all other VSTs I have can do this. Is there a key shortcut I'm missing that can do this or is this feature coming? Any info much appreciated!
Works over here. No issues with drag'n'drop waves into Falcon from the Ableton browser, clips and sample pool. Doesn't work with the aif files ofcourse
Last edited by exmatproton on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falcon is OK I guess.
I bought it just for better handling of UVI libraries. but it's not much better. hardly any patch management there. I absolutely don't get it. Vintage Vault 2, for example, is a real mess. no better way to describe it. for example, I can't browse all "keys" or all "strings". some patches are inside the instruments, some of them are within the global patch browser.

Hardly any global settings. You can set the voice count globally, so libraries are set to 16 for each patch. 16? 16! You can raise it manually every single time you load a patch.

I'll deep dive to its synthesis later but as a Kontakt alternative its kinda dud. I wonder how come UVI are in the game for so long yet hardly any development or care was given to ease of use, patch management, patch browsing, customization.

sircuit wrote:
It works, just tested. I think you did not create the sound source first, then drop the sample. AKA drop a new sampler (any type) into the keyzone, then you'll have an empty sound source (You'll see the text "drag & drop a sample here") then you can drop from anywhere in Ableton into that zone.

Edit: it works even with dropping the sample into the keyzone and loads a sampler sound source. I think you were tempted to drag & drop into empty area between Oscillator(s) and the collapsed Mapping. Just expand Mappign and save it as default in Ableton then you can drag and drop straight there.
Great to know its meant to work but so weird, doesn't work for me at all. I'm a fairly advanced user so don't think its user error. Wonder if something wrong with my installation of Ableton or Falcon? Will report back if I find out

tomheavybeats wrote:
Great to know its meant to work but so weird, doesn't work for me at all. I'm a fairly advanced user so don't think its user error. Wonder if something wrong with my installation of Ableton or Falcon? Will report back if I find out
Ok dunce of the week (and my 'fairly advanced user' comment can obviously be laughed at) but I was testing with samples in the 'Samples' folder of Ableton which is of course comprised of samples from Ableton Packs which are protected. I was dragging these samples to clips to test from there as well :dog:

Anyway all works fine and Falcon just got a whole lot better :hihi:

I have a heavy question :)

So I'm trying to make this sound effect with a single long note pressed: trigger a (woodblock-type) sample playback with very high speed then the trigger speed decreases over time.

- I modified a stepper script and I replaced the stepper fixed values with a knob feeding continuous control of the number of steps (to avoid that obvious "step" effect when changing speeds)
- in order to apply automation, this speed knob can only be asigned to a macro knob, which I did
- at this point the patch delivers the FX I want, by manually (or midi-automating) the macro knob.
- I want to have a ramp LFO (over 4 bars) triggered by the long note press to modulate the macro speed knob
- problem is, the solution here [ http://falcontinuum.com/forums/topic/envelope-follower ] retriggers the LFO each time the stepper kicks in.
- I need a trigger-dependent LFO (or mseg) that doesn't react to the stepper's output.
-
- my last idea is to feed a 2-note "chord" (let's say a C-1 and a C3), edit the stepper's code to ignore anything under C0 and use the trick linked above to have one osc triggered by the stepper and a dummy osc (that will provide the LFO) triggered one time, by a long C-1 note. however, I am not sure I can go that far with the code, as my knowledge is limited in what concerns scripting.

Ideas? :)

Why don't you use a regular analog envelope? That one has a manual trigger button, and you can modulate it with a stepper that will do the triggers, then you can modulate the stepper speed with another envelope to make it go from faster to slower triggers...

I can't follow the first phrase.
What I understand is that while a long key is pressed, I can associate (to what parameter exactly?) an analog envelope and press the triger button and that envelope will retrigger my sample playback?

PS: The sample is quite plucky so I don't need a looping envelope over a sustained note, I actually need to retrigger the playback of the sample from the beginning. Until now, the only way to "force" the playback - of a sound (while a note is hold) - I could find, is the arp or the stepper.

The scripting is probably the easiest way to achieve this bouncing effect.

https://we.tl/LEJU9wSxZE

and change the time while keeping the key held.

You can modify this script to do this automatically

You can put a script on the layer level and restrict layer range if you want different behavior on different note. Or load the preset twice and put the script on the Part level and limit the range using the performance view and use the same midi channel for both part in case of multi layered sound.

Scripting is clearly more complex but opens a lot of possibilities.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

sircuit wrote:I can't follow the first phrase.
What I understand is that while a long key is pressed, I can associate (to what parameter exactly?) an analog envelope and press the triger button and that envelope will retrigger my sample playback?

PS: The sample is quite plucky so I don't need a looping envelope over a sustained note, I actually need to retrigger the playback of the sample from the beginning. Until now, the only way to "force" the playback - of a sound (while a note is hold) - I could find, is the arp or the stepper.
You can also right-click the Trigger button itself and assign modulation to it! High value of modulation will trigger the envelope, so you can use a stepper or a sawtooth LFO to decide when to trigger the envelope.

So, replace the default amp envelope with an Analog envelope, and assign additional modulation to the Trigger button to do your retriggering.

won't work unless you retrigger before the amp envelope is finished because otherwise the voice is killed.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Gentlemens, I really appreciate your understanding of my misunderstandings. The little script posted my Olivier is doing exactly what I was doing with the modified stepper however, new simple code (that I can properly peek into) is always welcome. Cheers!

The other half of the solution is to go multi-layer, to have some shared-between-layers modulation sources at the program level so I can also program sweeps and pitch-ups/downs over the bouncing sound.

And just to clear up the envelope thing: to my knowledge the envelope shapes an existing sound (source -> envelope -> output), it does not have any sound-generative abilities so it's useless to retrigger an envelope if the oscillator itself is not retriggered using a key press.

Return to “Instruments”