UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

padillac wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
otristan wrote:Scanning the entire drive sounds like the best way for newbie to make mistake to me but you can add as many folder as you want.
Yes but sircuit there doesn't seem like a newbie, because he has all his sample folders across various local drives merged in a virtual drive/sparse bundle, so this helps in certain situations (which he also mentions - replacing drives but keeping paths the same, etc.).
How do you do that? I'm on OS X. Here's what I did:

* create a sparse bundle
* alias a folder into the sparse bundle

That let me see the samples no problem, but programs that referenced the samples expanded the alias to get the original file path. I tried it with a Finder alias and a terminal symlink (ln -s).

I would really love to do what I think you're saying... so hopefully you can share some info on how to accomplish it.
I’m at the gym now... after you create a sparse bundle you copy or move the samples inside it. It will grow big ... gigabytes - you can limit the maximum size when you create the drive. Then when you lod the samples in a sampler they wikl be referenced for example at /Volumes/SampleDrive001/Beatport/House Vol.1/Kicks/kick01.wav

Using virtual drives you never have to embed samples into projects, they all refer to the same location regardless the mac they run on.

sircuit wrote:
padillac wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
otristan wrote:Scanning the entire drive sounds like the best way for newbie to make mistake to me but you can add as many folder as you want.
Yes but sircuit there doesn't seem like a newbie, because he has all his sample folders across various local drives merged in a virtual drive/sparse bundle, so this helps in certain situations (which he also mentions - replacing drives but keeping paths the same, etc.).
How do you do that? I'm on OS X. Here's what I did:

* create a sparse bundle
* alias a folder into the sparse bundle

That let me see the samples no problem, but programs that referenced the samples expanded the alias to get the original file path. I tried it with a Finder alias and a terminal symlink (ln -s).

I would really love to do what I think you're saying... so hopefully you can share some info on how to accomplish it.
I’m at the gym now... after you create a sparse bundle you copy or move the samples inside it. It will grow big ... gigabytes - you can limit the maximum size when you create the drive. Then when you lod the samples in a sampler they wikl be referenced for example at /Volumes/SampleDrive001/Beatport/House Vol.1/Kicks/kick01.wav

Using virtual drives you never have to embed samples into projects, they all refer to the same location regardless the mac they run on.
Oh okay. I misunderstood because EvilDragon said you have "sample folders across various local drives merged in a virtual drive/sparse bundle."

What you're describing here is exactly like if I used an external drive I think, right?

Yes. But these drives themselves can be placed anywhere - let’s say you have a gig and want a certain sample pack and a certain music library - you put them on your local ssd and you dont need any external drive with you.

Anyway - the whole point is that files inside these bundles will always have the same path regardless if the bundles are on a network drive, usb drive or local ssd. This is my main concern. Having a single folder to reference the entire audio collection is nice but since links do not work outside logic/finder I didnt bother to go this direction

sircuit wrote:Yes. But these drives themselves can be placed anywhere - let’s say you have a gig and want a certain sample pack and a certain music library - you put them on your local ssd and you dont need any external drive with you.

Anyway - the whole point is that files inside these bundles will always have the same path regardless if the bundles are on a network drive, usb drive or local ssd. This is my main concern. Having a single folder to reference the entire audio collection is nice but since links do not work outside logic/finder I didnt bother to go this direction
That makes sense. So do you keep a "master" sparse bundle that you then clone to various drives as needed? That way you could keep the sparse bundle on your main SSD / network, and then when you want to take it with you you clone it to a USB drive.

I've tried keeping samples on a network drive... I seem to remember that accessing them directly was really slow, but creating a sparse bundle and accessing them that way was pretty fast. But then trying to back up the network drive was crazy slow. Can you share some more details on the SSD / USB / network drive setup you use with sparse bundles?

Check PM, there are more important on topic, Falcon-related things to discuss here. It was a good and productive day, Olivier, thank you for your patience :)

aaaaand I'm back

I have 8 modulation assignments in this particular example and the navigation starts being a little difficult. Would it make sense implementing a checkbox similar to the ones already existing in Falcon and when checked, the modulation panel will open double-triple in vertical size (or even as high as the collapsed GUI allows)? The setting can be the same for the floating editor.

And another two somehow related things:
- in macos, after a while some tooltip values are not displayed anymore when hovering the mouse. And I have to remember that I had 0.34 the value for a particular slider. Easy when entering values for the first time, gets harder when editing various sliders at a later time. It would be handy to display down in the status bar also the value along the explanation for the parameter.
- there is no hint for the value of a vertical bar in the modulation mapper. Command-click (for finer adjust) does the trick in this case but I wouldn't mind having the values on-screen as soon as I hover the mouse over the vertical bars.

@Olivier, It does work.

If someone's interested in these two scripts, see the attachment.
One generates the selected note in sync with the transport according with the settings on screen, the other one is freerunning - 0.25 is the multiplier value for one bar and goes down to really small and fast values kind of like a free running arp. In my opinion these are basic tools to easily design FX in Falcon (also to overcome the well-known issues related to triggering envelopes at any structural level).

otristan wrote:something like that would do the trick.

Code: Select all

local id = 0
function onTransport (playing)
	id = id + 1
	if playing then
		spawn(
		function(id_) 
			while id == id_ do
				playNote(31, 127, getBarDuration())
				wait(getBarDuration())
			end
		end, id)
	end
end
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sircuit wrote:@Olivier, It does work.

If someone's interested in these two scripts, see the attachment.
One generates the selected note in sync with the transport according with the settings on screen, the other one is freerunning - 0.25 is the multiplier value for one bar and goes down to really small and fast values kind of like a free running arp. In my opinion these are basic tools to easily design FX in Falcon (also to overcome the well-known issues related to triggering envelopes at any structural level).

otristan wrote:something like that would do the trick.

Code: Select all

local id = 0
function onTransport (playing)
	id = id + 1
	if playing then
		spawn(
		function(id_) 
			while id == id_ do
				playNote(31, 127, getBarDuration())
				wait(getBarDuration())
			end
		end, id)
	end
end
Nice one, thanks for that.

Question: i was trying to do pwm the old way (two saws, one inverted) and modulate the phase. The phase only triggers at keypress right? So i tried to modulate the inverted saws pulsewidth with an lfo but without results. I know i could just use the regular pwm on the square, but i like to create own waveshapes with the waveshaper.

Yeah I think phase is only evaluated on key on, not constantly during the note, so you can't really modulate it continuously.

I'm using Falcon in Live with Push 2 and thing that bugs me is having to assign knobs to host controller every time I load a preset. All other synths except Falcon will auto populate the controllers as I have "PluginAutoPopulateThreshold" in options.txt set.
That means if I want to twiddle knobs on Push I have to assign controllers every time. Pain in the arse. On some packs like Mello and Tines Anthology I can map default performance knobs which are same across all presets and then save as Instrument Rack and load from there but can't do that for every single preset in Falcon expansion packs. Any solution?

Save multis instead of programs. Unfortunately programs don't save host automation slot assignments (not sure why, Kontakt does it without problems, and then autopopulates and stacks the assigned slots in order if you load more than one program, doesn't seem like rocket science to do).

In all honesty there should be better handling of host automation slots, in a separate pane, like Kontakt has it. Dropdown menu is far too slow to assign these...

Thanks for the tip EvilDragon. Just tried it and makes better sense than Live Racks. Guess we can't store over factory presets with our automation slot assignments so having a folder and adding Multis with saved parameters of those factory presets over time is the second best option.

Yeah if UVI are listening, some kind of auto population would save the tedious work of having to assign each parameter. With something like Isotonik Preditor for Push I could then rearrange as I wanted (I have Preditor and currently doesn't work with Falcon, Kontakt yes)

You cannot store over factory presets, but you can save them AS in another location. Still, host automation assignments don't get stored with programs.

Also 128 slots is not enough. Kontakt has 512 and sometimes even that is not enough :)

Bug report: Falcon does not remember previously loaded loop length in Slicer when reopening a project in Logic Pro X 10.4. Even though I set the loop length to 2 bars, after reopening the project all the loops are set to one bar in length.

Return to “Instruments”