UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 2.5 released - rumors, ads, praise and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
zvenx
KVRAF
10510 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:49 pm

I would never consider Falcon lush...
I have other synths that give me lush though.

Definitely everyone hears stuff differently.
rsp
sound sculptist

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:53 pm

zvenx wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:49 pm
I would never consider Falcon lush...
I have other synths that give me lush though.

Definitely everyone hears stuff differently.
rsp
yes probably, what do you consider lush?

User avatar
zvenx
KVRAF
10510 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:56 pm

Omnisphere, Repro's, Diva's, Dune 3, Tal -J8, etc etc etc..
rsp
sound sculptist

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:59 pm

some are lush there for me too, so strange you don t find falcon lush , maybe we don t use the same module inside, falcon still has a more unic sound than all these synths, beeing "romplers" or emulation.. it s hard to find a new digital synth with a strong unic caractere to me, it s one of the strenght, like nord leads 4 i was listening, nothing sound like it.
Last edited by kobal on Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
zvenx
KVRAF
10510 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:06 pm

For me Falcon's strength is it functionality more than its sound,... for me.
rsp
sound sculptist

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:07 pm

zvenx wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:06 pm
For me Falcon's strength is it functionality more than its sound,... for me.
rsp
i don t rate it really high quality in term of filters osc ect.. but the sum of all parts give me high quality result

User avatar
digitallysane
KVRist
96 posts since 11 Mar, 2021 from Romania

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:49 am

spoontechnique wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:01 pm
Why can't you have powerful modulation and powerful synthesis engines? Phase Plant and others certainly do it.
I don't have PP but I watched quite a bit about it.
Certainly very powerful in what it does (way more powerful than distinct Falcon modules) but very limited overall compared to Falcon.
A great sound design tool, but a lot less of a musical instrument, compared to Falcon (and I think this is one of the biggest strenghts of Falcon).

functionform
KVRian
652 posts since 13 May, 2017 from Virginia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:16 am

I think people are conflating oscillators with sound. Because of Falcons powerful modulating and layering, you could really give your sounds whatever feeling you want - except maybe the classic "FM from B" dubstep growl since Falcon's FM capabilities are pretty limited (that'd be crazy awesome if it opened up).

Widowsky
KVRist
55 posts since 20 Aug, 2008

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:38 am

kobal wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:07 pm
zvenx wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:06 pm
For me Falcon's strength is it functionality more than its sound,... for me.
rsp
i don t rate it really high quality in term of filters osc ect.. but the sum of all parts give me high quality result
For what it's worth, a few years ago I compared the sound of the same samples with Kontakt and with the free UVI Workstation, which I believe is the origin of Falcon's sample playback engine. I found the sound of UVI Workstation to be much better.

Also Ircam Stretch gives better results than the other stretch engines I tried, including non real-time.

User avatar
Lati
KVRist
40 posts since 1 Jul, 2019

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:35 am

Falcon is probably the least preset synth I know. It's a sandbox. The first vst synth that feels like it's not intentionally restricted... It's a blank canvas. And it sounds okay. A bit clean, sterile even, compared to U-he's stuff and Omnisphere, those has their own fingerprint. I wish that (maybe) upcoming Zebra3 will have somewhat same workflow and possibilities than Falcon...

User avatar
bmanic
KVRAF
9237 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:53 pm

Lati wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:35 am
I wish that (maybe) upcoming Zebra3 will have somewhat same workflow and possibilities than Falcon...
Oh please God no!!

Zebra's workflow is far superior to Falcon's, in my opinion. It would be a significant regression if it took any "ideas" from Falcon.

While Falcon is capable and all, it's workflow is definitely not one of it's strong suits.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:59 pm

Widowsky wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:38 am
kobal wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:07 pm
zvenx wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:06 pm
For me Falcon's strength is it functionality more than its sound,... for me.
rsp
i don t rate it really high quality in term of filters osc ect.. but the sum of all parts give me high quality result
For what it's worth, a few years ago I compared the sound of the same samples with Kontakt and with the free UVI Workstation, which I believe is the origin of Falcon's sample playback engine. I found the sound of UVI Workstation to be much better.

Also Ircam Stretch gives better results than the other stretch engines I tried, including non real-time.
granular seems great also, but i m not specialist.

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:02 pm

bmanic wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:53 pm
Lati wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:35 am
I wish that (maybe) upcoming Zebra3 will have somewhat same workflow and possibilities than Falcon...
Oh please God no!!

Zebra's workflow is far superior to Falcon's, in my opinion. It would be a significant regression if it took any "ideas" from Falcon.

While Falcon is capable and all, it's workflow is definitely not one of it's strong suits.
agree but zebra with all the feature of falcon would be hard to use as well with that user interface

Neon Breath
KVRAF
4039 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:26 pm

kobal wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:59 pm
Widowsky wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:38 am
kobal wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:07 pm
zvenx wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:06 pm
For me Falcon's strength is it functionality more than its sound,... for me.
rsp
i don t rate it really high quality in term of filters osc ect.. but the sum of all parts give me high quality result
For what it's worth, a few years ago I compared the sound of the same samples with Kontakt and with the free UVI Workstation, which I believe is the origin of Falcon's sample playback engine. I found the sound of UVI Workstation to be much better.

Also Ircam Stretch gives better results than the other stretch engines I tried, including non real-time.
granular seems great also, but i m not specialist.
Fantastic. Probably the best granular engine around at the moment imo.
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

User avatar
machinesworking
KVRAF
4069 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:26 pm

functionform wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:16 am
I think people are conflating oscillators with sound. Because of Falcons powerful modulating and layering, you could really give your sounds whatever feeling you want - except maybe the classic "FM from B" dubstep growl since Falcon's FM capabilities are pretty limited (that'd be crazy awesome if it opened up).
Oscillators can contribute to the sound, it's not the only thing of course.

Return to “Instruments”