Well? Falcon vs. Omnisphere 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Falcon Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

zvenx wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
zvenx wrote:you think all of those are the best sounding synths you have heard/own?
Or did you misread the question?

Ignore feature set/architecture.

sounding/acoustically pleasing to your ear/not sure how else to say it.

And I had specifically asked zerocrossing only because of his comment:
"Sonically they're on par, but my initial impression is that Falcon has the edge with better sounding "analog" style oscs, though I admit I didn't really do a naked oscillator a/b test"

So I was just curious if his palette of what is sonically on par coincides with mine......

rsp
Pleasing to my ear? Yeah, they're all pleasing to my ear.

Don't know how else to say it.
ok, if they are all equally pleasing to your ear.
but the question was directly solely at zerocrossing.
sorry.
rsp
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought anybody could answer.

I won't make that mistake again. :roll:

zvenx wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:............

Sonically they're on par, but my initial impression is that Falcon has the edge with better sounding "analog" style oscs, though I admit I didn't really do a naked oscillator a/b test...........
Hi Just to have a reference point, if you had to name your top three sounding software synths what would they be?
thanks
rsp
I think the quoting and the "you" may have explicitly signified that. But apparently not for everyone.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
zvenx wrote:you think all of those are the best sounding synths you have heard/own?
Or did you misread the question?

Ignore feature set/architecture.

sounding/acoustically pleasing to your ear/not sure how else to say it.

And I had specifically asked zerocrossing only because of his comment:
"Sonically they're on par, but my initial impression is that Falcon has the edge with better sounding "analog" style oscs, though I admit I didn't really do a naked oscillator a/b test"

So I was just curious if his palette of what is sonically on par coincides with mine......

rsp
Pleasing to my ear? Yeah, they're all pleasing to my ear.

Don't know how else to say it.
ok, if they are all equally pleasing to your ear.
but the question was directly solely at zerocrossing.
sorry.
rsp
You just can't separate things like that : A synth is synth is a synth, and whatever module in it contributes to the final result.

That you'll find pleasing, or less.

Features, like sophisticated modulations, will make it possible to breathe more life in the final sound than with a synth with less modulations. But simple sounds can also be gorgeous. See, its not that simple. Effects ? are part of synths since day 2 ( Juno 60 or Synthex Chorus ... ) Envelopes and VCA are part of the character. Not even talking of the quality and character of the filters. And everything else. Because everything matters. And the angels are -also- in details.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Then that is fine....which synth sounds the best even if it needs 'the breathing more life in the final sound' is a valid response.
What I was trying to avoid was the best sounding subtractive analog synth, the best sounding wavetable synth etc.

In other words if I was blindfolded and led to a computer with a keyboard, and played a few patches in different synths...I imagine like, for most people, some synths would sound more pleasing to their ear than others.
If the effects, the modulations etc help that sound, that's fine, and not what I meant at all..
that's all.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

zerocrossing wrote:Also, it's hydrogenated nature releases small amounts of energy as the compound destabilizes which is thought to give the overall lute-whipped-topping system a more lively tone.
You know, I really should have *thought* about Coolwhip's ability to maintain it's texture over time, but it's nuggets like this right here that keep me coming back to KVR. You cannot *pay* for the kind of esoteric knowledge and deep understanding of acoustic science that these forums collectively bring to the table.

Next stop - grocery store, to clean them out of Coolwhip. Then, it's time to pull out my expensive microphones. I must fill ALL the lutes!! :D

zvenx wrote:Then that is fine....which synth sounds the best even if it needs 'the breathing more life in the final sound' is a valid response.
What I was trying to avoid was the best sounding subtractive analog synth, the best sounding wavetable synth etc.

In other words if I was blindfolded and led to a computer with a keyboard, and played a few patches in different synths...I imagine like, for most people, some synths would sound more pleasing to their ear than others.
If the effects, the modulations etc help that sound, that's fine, and not what I meant at all..
that's all.
rsp
Okay, tossing out all the parameters junk and all that stuff, sounds best for what?

Omni 2 sounds meh for some things but sounds amazing for atmospheres. Conversely, I wouldn't touch Diva for doing atmospheres. Hell, I'm not even sure it's possible with all the CPU it takes up.

There is no such thing as a "this is the best sounding" whatever because each genre of music has its own requirements.

So the question, with the limitations in parameters that you've assigned, the way you're asking it, makes absolutely no practical sense. Blindfold me and bring me to a synth and ask me what I think of the sound and the first thing I'm going to ask you is what am I using it for. Serum is amazing at cutting through the mix and hard edge stuff but I'd be crazy to try to fit it into a Yanni like ambient track. It would stick out like a sore thumb.

Sorry we can't answer the question the way you want it answered but the question itself makes no sense in the practical actual use world we live in.

zvenx wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
zvenx wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:............

Sonically they're on par, but my initial impression is that Falcon has the edge with better sounding "analog" style oscs, though I admit I didn't really do a naked oscillator a/b test...........
Hi Just to have a reference point, if you had to name your top three sounding software synths what would they be?
thanks
rsp
Top three!? Hell... there are so many good ones these days. Ones that cover what Falcon does... I like Diva... all the XILS synths for VA... Electra 2 and Serum for wavetable stuff... Kontakt for samples.. Polygon and Absynth for sample mangling... Padshop Pro for granular... Mpowersynth and Harmor for additive. Iris and Poseidon for resynthesis.
:-)
Sounding, regardless of its architecture......which three software synths would you say *sound* the best.
Not feature set, just sounding.

Like for me my whilst Kontakt would be in my desert island gear, I dont' necessarily know if I love 'its' sound...
a synth, or three synths you play and say, damn these sound fantastic...

For me, my three would be Diva, Omnisphere, Zebra 2.....Serum, Hive, and impOSCar 2 if I had to make it six... I am just trying to evaluate how similar are our sound quality palette.
But maybe your top three are in that list you posted, and it gives me a base.
thanks,
rsp
Yeah, I have a hard time narrowing it down to three, but sure. I'd easily agree with all the synths you mention as being top contenders for general sonics. That said, I see an advertisement next to this reply window for Blue 2. That thing sounds amazing. Is it better than Zebra? Worse than Zebra? Oh wait, above Blue 2 is an ad for Dune 2.... that thing sounds good too! (not enough for me to purchase it... but probably because I have a bunch of synths that cover that ground)

It's a tough thing to talk about because there is really such a huge range of sound possibilities out there. For instance, I love the sound of Mr. Alias Pro. I wouldn't throw it out there as a "high quality" sounding synths, but yet I love the characteristics of it. It becomes about characteristics more than some perception of quality.

In a sense, software synths have become like modern cars. I remember hearing an interview of one of the TopGear guys when they asked him (I paraphrase) what the good modern cars are. He basically said, "They're all good now... except the Smart Car. That's a piece of sh!t." Now, he didn't mean they're all equal. What he meant was they all will get you to work with a reasonably good chance of not breaking down with a decent amount of safety. So, you can install something like U-He's Tyrell N6 and go and make some great sounding tracks and consider yourself done. Now, you may not like the sonic characteristics of Tyrell, but that's another topic.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

mostlyjustj wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Also, it's hydrogenated nature releases small amounts of energy as the compound destabilizes which is thought to give the overall lute-whipped-topping system a more lively tone.
You know, I really should have *thought* about Coolwhip's ability to maintain it's texture over time, but it's nuggets like this right here that keep me coming back to KVR. You cannot *pay* for the kind of esoteric knowledge and deep understanding of acoustic science that these forums collectively bring to the table.

Next stop - grocery store, to clean them out of Coolwhip. Then, it's time to pull out my expensive microphones. I must fill ALL the lutes!! :D
I'll see you over at http://www.whippedtoppingsforums.com!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I have been out of the loop.

I have Omnisphere 2. Taking a quick look at Falcon, this may be the product that convinces me to buy an iLok dongle... which in turn would open a floodgate of other plugins that require iLok protection (of particular interest to me are SoundToys plugins). I use the Steinberg eLicenser and am not worried about using a dongle. I have had other concerns, but perhaps the tradeoff is worth it now.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

actually it doesn't require the dongle - you can license via PC only also via the free soft iLok app (it's what I did)

synzh wrote:actually it doesn't require the dongle - you can license via PC only also via the free soft iLok app (it's what I did)
Yes, I know thanks. I would like to have a dongle anyway so that I can move easily from one computer to another. AFAIK the protection software has to run in the background either way.

I have had the same eLicenser since, I think, Cubase 3 or 4 :D
Gribs

Gribs wrote:I have been out of the loop.

I have Omnisphere 2. Taking a quick look at Falcon, this may be the product that convinces me to buy an iLok dongle... which in turn would open a floodgate of other plugins that require iLok protection (of particular interest to me are SoundToys plugins). ...
Don't even go there, man. After the floodgates are released you'll be lapping up all the iLok goodies like a podophiliac in a shoe store.

Nightpolymath wrote:
Gribs wrote:I have been out of the loop.

I have Omnisphere 2. Taking a quick look at Falcon, this may be the product that convinces me to buy an iLok dongle... which in turn would open a floodgate of other plugins that require iLok protection (of particular interest to me are SoundToys plugins). ...
Don't even go there, man. After the floodgates are released you'll be lapping up all the iLok goodies like a podophiliac in a shoe store.
I had thought of that tbh... I don't really *need* anything new. Not only that, I have Kontakt libraries from the charity auction that have not yet been delivered and will require significant time to sort through.

Maybe it is best to wait a while and not jump at the new bright shiny thing :D
Gribs

I am sorry to ask if it is a bit OT. I have Omni 2 which has a big lib. > 50G ? How about Falcon ? As my internet speed @home is pretty slow....

cowby wrote:I am sorry to ask if it is a bit OT. I have Omni 2 which has a big lib. > 50G ? How about Falcon ? As my internet speed @home is pretty slow....
It isn't anywhere near the size. I think the download was like a gig.

Return to “Instruments”