How come nobody ever talks about Absynth anymore?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Igor Amos
KVRist
365 posts since 23 Jul, 2013 from Bay Area, San Francisco

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Who has used it a lot and would like to comment?

Is it good?

thanks,

IA

wagtunes
KVRAF
16141 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: How come nobody ever talks about Absynth anymore?

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Because it's an old synth that hasn't been updated in ages and, quite honestly, there are just better sounding synths out there.

BasariStudios
KVRian
1296 posts since 25 Sep, 2011 from New York

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Maybe not worth talking about it?
http://www.basaristudios.com
Cubase 8.5 Pro. Windows 7 X64. ASUS SaberTooth X99. Intel I7 5820K. ASUS GTX 960 Strix OC 2GB. 4x8 GB G.SKILL. 2 850 PRO 256GB.
Prime Total. Acustica: Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 2, Amethyst, Murano, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy.

sempondr
KVRist
180 posts since 17 Jun, 2002

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:08 pm

I have an Absynth story:
Many moons ago I ordered my copy from US online store.
Package was held and inspected by Canadian customs for a week because of description "Absynth".

EnGee
KVRAF
5313 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Igor Amos wrote:Who has used it a lot and would like to comment?

Is it good?

thanks,

IA
Absynth is a deep synth with great envelopes and modulations. It is not easy at all to master and it is favoured by many 'geek' sound designers.

Personally I love Absynth, and IMO it can do great complex sounds that difficult to do with other 'complex' synths. There is a mutation function that can produce new sounds easily without delving into the deep programming.

I have never felt Absynth as an old synth! It always sounds new for me. Some synths never age ;)

I sold it when I needed money, but mostly I will buy it again together with FM8 and Massive. Those three are from the best synths ever made IMO.
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

ksandvik
KVRian
575 posts since 26 Aug, 2005 from North California

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:43 pm

I don't know what they should add to it, more filters? As Absynth is today feature-wise, one could get lots and lots of mileage with the existing version.

bungle
KVRAF
1588 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:52 pm

A better UI wouldn't go ammiss, but that is never going to happen, NI have near enough given up on development outside of Reaktor add ons and Kontakt add ons.
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.

Sim.Sky
KVRian
623 posts since 26 Sep, 2014 from Kingshill Valley

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:58 pm

bungle wrote:A better UI wouldn't go ammiss, but that is never going to happen, NI have near enough given up on development outside of Reaktor add ons and Kontakt add ons.
AFAIK Absynth isn't programmed by NI directly, but by the original inventor of Absynth itself (some guy from France I believe...). NI just acquired the rights to sell it. So there's still hope in terms of future development I think.

chk071
KVRAF
20836 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:07 pm

sempondr wrote:I have an Absynth story:
Many moons ago I ordered my copy from US online store.
Package was held and inspected by Canadian customs for a week because of description "Absynth".
:)

Chopper
KVRAF
1823 posts since 26 Nov, 2005 from Where silence and chaos meet.

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:26 pm

I still see it as a wonderful synth, with its own sound and perfect for pads and textures (although it can do some very good basses too, and is a very versatile instrument). But i reckon its typical user moved to something like ALCHEMY in the past few years... Plus it hasn't been updated for ages, as previously mentionned...
The interface could be better, for the size, the easthetic, and the ergonomy....

I still love it tho... The first VSTI i bought, right when it was started to be sold by Native instruments. It changed my mind about VSTIs, showing me that although different, their strenght would be in the ability to complement your arsenal with tools that simply don't have hardware equivalent (or few and very expensive...). I still see it as that...
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
5092 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:45 pm

Sim.Sky wrote:
bungle wrote:A better UI wouldn't go ammiss, but that is never going to happen, NI have near enough given up on development outside of Reaktor add ons and Kontakt add ons.
AFAIK Absynth isn't programmed by NI directly, but by the original inventor of Absynth itself (some guy from France I believe...). NI just acquired the rights to sell it. So there's still hope in terms of future development I think.
Rhizomatic Software. I can't find any info about the original developer. Is he at Native Instruments?

As for updates, Native Instruments seems to be keeping it up to date with OS support like the other feature-frozen synths (Massive, FM8). That's fine with me. Pushing new versions out with no real innovation is annoying, and abandoning the existing one is an even worse idea.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

jancivil
KVRAF
18839 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:05 pm

Probably the first soft instrument I ever bought. It hasn't gone through changes much in some time. At one time I did little else than program Absynth. I'm kind of set for life for a basis for tweaks behind it. I still bring it out for certain things. Some people don't like the interface because the patch page is all about numbers and control of that bit is in a small space. But I come to it from a lot of time with DX7 and Yahama FM and being the first synth plugin for me I'm just accustomed to it. It's extremely versatile. The obviousness of the way it works with envelopes, besides how far you can go with all the breakpoints suits me. I liked to make a patch which does one thing in the bass and another completely different thing up high, maybe with a middle area to boot.

jancivil
KVRAF
18839 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:06 pm

name of its creator is Brian Clevinger. https://youtu.be/DnXYuW8wOjI

crawlingwind
KVRist
229 posts since 23 Apr, 2012

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:09 pm

It's hard to imaging that Clevinger isn't still tinkering around on Absynth. Geez, at least a GUI resize would be worth it...

layzer
KVRAF
6538 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:34 pm

because the name sounds like its something for getting a sixpack
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”