How come nobody ever talks about Absynth anymore?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
dblock
KVRAF
2238 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:26 am

How much more can you say about something that old and not updated? This isn't exactly a case where old becomes new again especially if Native Instruments doesn't try to make it new again.

Kalamata Kid
KVRAF
3765 posts since 27 Jul, 2001 from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Re: How come nobody ever talks about Absynth anymore?

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Absynth is absolutely abandoned by NI.
23" 10-touch Monitor and iPad Air as Midi Controllers, iConnectMIDI2+, Windows Pro 10-64bit, i9-9900k, 32 GB RAM.

SLiC
KVRAF
3687 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Absynth and many other of the NI products will either need to be significantly updated or dropped as at some point an increasing number of users will go 4K or MPE or any other modern VST requirement....they are getting their arse kicked by Arturia who did a great job updating even their oldest instruments.
i7 Win 10 PC+ Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, Cubase10, Live9, X32 Desk. , DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, Deluge, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

dblock
KVRAF
2238 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Well, we're talking about Absynth alright just not in the way I think the op intended.. :lol:

0degree
KVRist
312 posts since 29 Jan, 2017

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 pm

It looks like Massive X gave them a bit of momentum so why not update Absynth? It’s hard for me to imagine it would be unsuccessful

liv
KVRAF
1500 posts since 26 Feb, 2013 from Sweden

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 pm

For those interested in Leap Into The Void Absynth presets.

Leap Into The Void complete Absynth bundle available for one exclusive week.
Bazille soundset - Bioethical Genome Modification.
Soundset for UVI Falcon "Et Tantara Pul Hypnosis".

McLilith
KVRAF
1796 posts since 7 Jul, 2003 from Huntington, WV

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:11 pm

For years, I heard professional sound designers and cinematic composers brag about Absynth. If it was great then, it should still be great now. Humans can be so fickle sometimes, especially when the latest shiny object comes along. :wink:
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

mumpcake
KVRian
911 posts since 27 Aug, 2004

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:49 pm

One other thing about absynth is that you have to work for a lot of things. You don't necessarily have chorus or flanger or phasers effects. But you can do those things by modulating the right parameters.

Maybe since the are on a roll with wavetables Abby might be next. It already has waveshaping of sorts..
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

jackmazzotti
KVRist
311 posts since 18 Dec, 2006

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 pm

The best Absynth upgrade it right here. Use them in the LFOs!!!
https://www.galbanum.com/products/archi ... eforms2010

monomaker
KVRist
101 posts since 11 Mar, 2015

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:28 am

jancivil wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:33 am
I don't know what's harder about typing cents in the little box in the Absynth interface vs that, I don't.
I wouldn't use that interface for input because I use quite a few scales with lots of notes, but the Scala export works fine so it doesn't matter, just takes a bit longer to export the gly.
jancivil wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:36 am
doing arithmetic my own self is admittedly not ideal :scared: :)
This is why I like authoring with Scala, it deals with the maths for you, gives you decent stats and has a great range of options for export.
jancivil wrote:
goalpost was Abynth's is 'not good', and I think it's pretty good.
I'll concede Absynth's tuning capabilities are a lot better than I remember, more so than any other NI synth. It would be nice if I didn't have to export a file specifically for it, but being able to freely retune at all is great. I pine for lockable params, not just for tuning. Regardless, I've made 3 tracks with Absynth so far this week, I forgot how good it can sound so I'm glad I read this thread; makes me hope for an Absynth 6.
jancivil wrote:
Ok, I loaded the 'microtuning', which is what I'd usually choose,
That's the built in script, limited to 12 notes, +/- 50 cents range. I'm afraid that's no good for me, I want (a lot) more keys and greater range. This one seems to me to be more reliable (at handling pitch bends, other scripting) for what you're suggesting : https://www.orangetreesamples.com/blog/ ... ing-script .

...but still, no cigar for the note count/range.
Last edited by monomaker on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

monomaker
KVRist
101 posts since 11 Mar, 2015

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:34 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:13 am
It's impossible to write a microtuning script for Kontakt that retunes reliably in all circumstances, it cannot really account for any specific detunings other scripts might be doing (i.e. factory mono/glide/unison script).
Thanks, I have long suspected this was the case. What's the best script you're aware of? I'm looking for something with full keyboard retuning, where I can cut and paste/load the 128 values from Scala, that works as well as can be expected given the kind of limitations you've alluded to.

Harry_HH
KVRAF
3666 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:47 am

liv wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 pm
For those interested in Leap Into The Void Absynth presets.

Leap Into The Void complete Absynth bundle available for one exclusive week.
Preset sale € 79...! How many synths you get for that price in the Komplete summer sale? 3, 4, 5...

reggie1979
KVRian
765 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:04 pm

Kalamata Kid wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 pm
Absynth is absolutely abandoned by NI.
It's now called "abandosynth" :hihi:

jancivil
KVRAF
18839 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:39 pm

monomaker wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:28 am
This one seems to me to be more reliable (at handling pitch bends, other scripting) for what you're suggesting : https://www.orangetreesamples.com/blog/ ... ing-script .

...but still, no cigar for the note count/range.
thanks for that, CC control is extra cool.

I use a microtuner for generally less than 12. The really dwell in the inbetween stuff I like pitch bend lane for.
I also like 'harmonic' in Absynth, harnonic series.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
18413 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 am

monomaker wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:34 am
EvilDragon wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:13 am
It's impossible to write a microtuning script for Kontakt that retunes reliably in all circumstances, it cannot really account for any specific detunings other scripts might be doing (i.e. factory mono/glide/unison script).
Thanks, I have long suspected this was the case. What's the best script you're aware of? I'm looking for something with full keyboard retuning, where I can cut and paste/load the 128 values from Scala, that works as well as can be expected given the kind of limitations you've alluded to.
You can't exactly copy/paste things into a script - at least not in batch of 128 (one by one is possible - but tedious), at the very least all the detuning values would need to be stuffed into an NKA file, using millicents instead of floating point numbers.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”