How come nobody ever talks about Absynth anymore?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Absynth

wagtunes wrote:I will say this about ABSynth. It sounds like nothing else. It has this kind of ethereal, washed out sound that I recognize right away. For certain things, I'd use it above many other synths. But because there are so many synths that can "emulate" ABsynth and have a better "quality" sound, I'll turn to them first. That's the problem with ABSynth. It's good but it's not the best at what it does anymore unless of course you want precisely the sound that ABSynth generates and not something "better."

I still use it. Just not as much as I did.
Is it possible to list the top contenders? :)
Even better if you provide links. :D :tu:

every once in a while i'll load up Absynth 5 to give it another go. always, within minutes, it goes back into its folder. honestly, i'm just scanning through the stock presets and tweaking from there, but there is something about the whole sound/look/workflow that i just never enjoyed from this synth. i don't think there's much point in digging further into it, there's just so much other stuff out there that i'd rather use (even for "Absynth type sounds"). i guess i can see why it doesn't get mentioned much.

Kalamata Kid wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I will say this about ABSynth. It sounds like nothing else. It has this kind of ethereal, washed out sound that I recognize right away. For certain things, I'd use it above many other synths. But because there are so many synths that can "emulate" ABsynth and have a better "quality" sound, I'll turn to them first. That's the problem with ABSynth. It's good but it's not the best at what it does anymore unless of course you want precisely the sound that ABSynth generates and not something "better."

** Disclaimer ** This is just my opinion that I am sure many will disagree with so take it with about that much of a grain of salt.

When I think of ABSynth, I think of pads, atmospheres and dreamy mush. I do not think of hard edge sounds or anything that would be considered "classic" EDM. IMO, it is not that kind of synth.

If I want dreamy stuff, I will go to ABSynth or one of these, any of which I now go to more often than I will go to ABSynth.

In alphabetical order

Dune 2
Falcon
Omnisphere 2
Padshop
Spectral
Synthmaster
The Mangle
Wavemapper 2

A comment on Dune 2

Lots of people think of it as just another super saw machine. It can be, but it can also be so much more. I was amazed at how deep this synth is IF you take the time to really dive into it. It's not easy to program to get those dreamy sounds out of but it can be done.

Because of all these synths that I own, I rarely ever touch ABSynth unless there is a very specific sound quality that I want that i know I'm not going to get out of anything else. And these days, that's becoming more and more rare.

ABSynth is a fine synth. I have nothing against it. But it wasn't something I went out of my way to get. It came with Komplete, which i bought for the whole package and not just one synth. Bang for the buck wise, it's hard to beat Komplete and I am very glad I got it. But I also find that I'm using less and less from it as time goes by.

Like I said, just my opinion and take it with a grain of salt.

I was installing the latest Absynth update last night when I saw this thread. I loaded it up since it had been a while. It reminded me quickly what I like about it- way whacked out sounds. Just pumping through a few presets, I felt happy that I have KU10.
Likes others have said: I really wish NI would give it a big makeover. Get rid of the numeric value entry on the interface, and just make it flow more easily in use. All of that be damned, the thing is still cool. Obviously, I'm more of a preset guy, but I know the potential is there when I get the inclination (and I will) based on what others have done with it.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

BasariStudios wrote:Maybe not worth talking about it?

here's a track started 9 years ago using 2 instances of absynth...maybe 3...which we finally decided to finish.
i'm curious what' IS worth talking about?
certainly not spire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3svbMfKHbT8
i used to always push the envelope...until someone showed me a letter-opener.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zHly4zwgI

okay so girls are worth talking about.

mcc> wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:Maybe not worth talking about it?

here's a track started 9 years ago using 2 instances of absynth...maybe 3...which we finally decided to finish.
i'm curious what' IS worth talking about?
certainly not spire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3svbMfKHbT8
I'll tell you what's worth talking about- That song. I love it. Really nice. :tu: :tu:

rustman wrote:
I'll tell you what's worth talking about- That song. I love it. Really nice. :tu: :tu:

thanks rustman.
you know i wonder why we bother trying to understand how things like absynth work sometimes....why we make beats and sound and junk.
last thing i wanna do is have a sound 'uniquely my own' (no such thing!)...or even worse mimic someone else's house-y sound.
but yeah things clicks sometimes...i think it did here.
thanks for speaking-up for a good song....really appreciated.

mcc> wrote:
rustman wrote:

thanks rustman.
you know i wonder why we bother trying to understand how things like absynth work sometimes....why we make beats and sound and junk.
last thing i wanna do is have a sound 'uniquely my own' (no such thing!)...or even worse mimic someone else's house-y sound.
but yeah things clicks sometimes...i think it did here.
thanks for speaking-up for a good song....really appreciated.
Yeah, things click and there's no explanation that works for everyone. There's something about the sounds you used here when driven with the beat that is very hypnotic for me. I guess I'm saying that it put me in a place, and that's what it's all about. Now I have to go fire up my machine...

wagtunes wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:

** Disclaimer ** This is just my opinion that I am sure many will disagree with so take it with about that much of a grain of salt.

When I think of ABSynth, I think of pads, atmospheres and dreamy mush. I do not think of hard edge sounds or anything that would be considered "classic" EDM. IMO, it is not that kind of synth.

If I want dreamy stuff, I will go to ABSynth or one of these, any of which I now go to more often than I will go to ABSynth.

In alphabetical order

Dune 2
Falcon
Omnisphere 2
Padshop
Spectral
Synthmaster
The Mangle
Wavemapper 2

A comment on Dune 2

Lots of people think of it as just another super saw machine. It can be, but it can also be so much more. I was amazed at how deep this synth is IF you take the time to really dive into it. It's not easy to program to get those dreamy sounds out of but it can be done.

Because of all these synths that I own, I rarely ever touch ABSynth unless there is a very specific sound quality that I want that i know I'm not going to get out of anything else. And these days, that's becoming more and more rare.

ABSynth is a fine synth. I have nothing against it. But it wasn't something I went out of my way to get. It came with Komplete, which i bought for the whole package and not just one synth. Bang for the buck wise, it's hard to beat Komplete and I am very glad I got it. But I also find that I'm using less and less from it as time goes by.

Like I said, just my opinion and take it with a grain of salt.
I prefer the sound of VSTi’s that allow user audio samples in the process of creating sound. Though IL Harmor is excellent sounding and so is Dune 2.

The Falcon audio demo sounds did not impress me. Good! as I will save $ by not buying it.

Omnisphere 2 is a bit to expense for my liking. the audio demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVapN3zbhRk
Sound very good but still not as good as Absynth in my opinion

Padshop Pro and the Mangle, for me granular in not appealing.

Hard to pinpoint what I love about Absynth. It is more organic and smoother sounding. Besides all that I love their Randomizer. I guess I am addicted to Absynth. Not sure what is will take to move on. I do plan to work more with Iris 2 and see what happens.

I think Waggy's description above is a good one. I think of etherial and washed out too. I get into these BOC moods...

rustman wrote:I think Waggy's description above is a good one. I think of etherial and washed out too. I get into these BOC moods...
Haha, yes, it excels at BOC type sounds! One of the main reasons I love it so!
A well-behaved signature.

wagtunes wrote:I will say this about ABSynth. It sounds like nothing else. It has this kind of ethereal, washed out sound that I recognize right away. For certain things, I'd use it above many other synths. But because there are so many synths that can "emulate" ABsynth and have a better "quality" sound, I'll turn to them first.
It sounds like nothing else but other synths are better for that because of "quality". That makes no sense. And 'this kind of ethereal, washed out sound' is you limiting it to your special (non-expert) experience of it. I can make it do things that resemble that phrase not at all.

It probably is not the go-to for supersaw EDM junk, for anybody.

jancivil wrote:
4damind wrote: It's still used but I would say more for soundeffects (IMO the department where Absynth can shine) and not so much for "typical" sounds like pads, leads, bass...
There are a lot of presets but most of them are experimental and so people will use it more for transition effects or similar things.

Newer synth having more options, are easier to use and capable to create the same and more sounds. But there must be something special with Absynth people like... maybe the sound or the workflow or the presets? No idea ;)
First paragraph basically states 'more users use presets than program it'. Seems to imply it's mainly good for 'experimental' or weird to the detriment of more typical uses.
Yes, I would say that more users use presets because programming of Absynth is not so easy compared to other synth. If you see the NI presets there is also a big focus to more experimental sounds/effects. This doesn't mean that you cannot create other sounds but there are synth which can do this better.
The newer effects like the Aetherizer is also very good for more mystical sounds or sound effects, the same with the Multicomb.. I think this is also the idea behind Absynth to be a "bit different" sounding synth.

jancivil wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I will say this about ABSynth. It sounds like nothing else. It has this kind of ethereal, washed out sound that I recognize right away. For certain things, I'd use it above many other synths. But because there are so many synths that can "emulate" ABsynth and have a better "quality" sound, I'll turn to them first.
It sounds like nothing else but other synths are better for that because of "quality". That makes no sense. And 'this kind of ethereal, washed out sound' is you limiting it to your special (non-expert) experience of it. I can make it do things that resemble that phrase not at all.

It probably is not the go-to for supersaw EDM junk, for anybody.
Makes no sense to you but I know what I meant.

See, ABSynth has a very distinct sound and quality to that sound. Within that distinctness there is also a more general sound that other synths share. The quality of those other synths, the ones I mentioned, IMO is better. So while they don't sound like ABSynth in particular, in a more generic sense, if I want a sound "similar" to what ABsynth can do without requiring the synth to sound just like ABSynth and I'm more concerned with the "quality" of the sound, I'll turn to that other synth.

More specifically, if I want an "ABsynth Pad" where nothing else will do, I'll use ABSynth. If I want a "dreamy, washed out, ethereal, ambient, whatever pad" that doesn't have to sound like ABSynth but one where the sound "quality" is more important, I'll use that other synth.

That is the problem I have with ABSynth. Because of its age, the quality of the sound itself, IMO, doesn't come close to the more recent synths. So I will only use ABSynth when the sound I am looking for has to be that particular sound.

Those occurrences are becoming more and more rare as time goes on.

Return to “Instruments”