StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

Dillinger wrote:Lotuzia,
That all sounds great and I will be glad when it is implemented.
I do value Stix’s ability to generate sound. I’ve found it to be worth more than just a rhythm generator, using samples that typically would not be used in a “drum” machine and patterns/tempos that produce somthing other than “rhythm”.

In other words I like to use stix in an experimental way that it was not intended to be used and am loving the results...sometimes :)

FR:
1. Ability to rename the pads from kick, snare... etc etc, to something of our choosing ( thump, scream, sing, kick 2...whatever). This would give flexibility and clarity when our sounds don’t follow the rigid mold that is set for us by the pad names.

2. And this is no small one, nks support would put this into the stratosphere above anything out there. A couple other xils instruments have gotten the nks love, why not Stix? Seems to be a great fit for Maschine. Maybe this can tie into the midi drag and drop issue that has been requested.

Thanks
Eheh StiX is versatlile enough to be used as a very simple drum machine, a very complex one, and an instrument that one couldn't think of as a 'drum machine' as well, for those who like to push the limits and are confortable with experimental music.

FR : Naming : I have a slightly different model in my head, wich will be both less user customisable, but otoh is fully automatic,not requiring any actions from the user, and therefore be very quick and intuitive. My idea is to dissplay the -real- names of the drumpads automatically on the GUI. Atm I think that under each channel mixer might be the best place for that. This way, you'll get all the info automatically. There's one case not covered though : You load say a snare, and after some advanced editing and complex genetic manipulations in StiX, it suddenly become an FX or a Low Tom. But then, the solution is simple : Simply save this drumpad with a 'right new name', wich will be then displayed. Additionnaly, displaying drumpad names could be an option in the Option Menu (Default : On), for those who want a less cluttered UI.

Do you think it would be OK to replace your request ?

Btw the rigid organisation does also have some merits : When you change the drumkits, it will almost always sound kind of coherent, a Snare remaining a snare etc etc. Also, the AI assisted automatic KIT creation tools use this topology. Moreover, it is compatible wih GM etc configs, so you could even play a GM midifile with StiX and still hear something more/less coherent immediatly.

NKS : Is a huge work for an unit like StiX. But it will come, sooner or later. Afaik, some other Xils synths are still awaiting NKS certification from NI atm.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:
ZeePok wrote: 
The new Preset Manager is now in StiX only?
Yes, but another Xils synthesizer will soon be released with the NPM update, and a couple of units are currently in beta test.

Gradually, all Xils synthesizers and effect line will include NPM.

I guess new development has priority over 'retrofitting' the older synths with NMP?

@LTz

https://www.xils-lab.com/products/stix- ... p-156.html

I have an I-lok how long does the demo version last with StiX ? Do they have sales? €179.00 is quite a lot but this looks cool gonna look for YouTube demos.

Cheers

Rob

Lotuzia,

I understand your idea for automatic naming, it seems legit. I did not consider the GM compatibility nor the random KIT generator that is based on tags...that makes perfect sense. I am OK with changing the request to what you envisioned. Thank you for listening.

Courious though, do you use a Maschine or Komplete for production? Not that it’s at all important, just wondering how familiar you are with the ecosystem. If done right it seems Stix with its in depth editing capabilities and its sequencing would be the most advanced drum unit on a maschine with nothing else even close.
That is my last plug for that request as I actually only have a vaugh clue as to the labor that would be involved just that it could be awesome. Last plug...seriously...last one.

ZeePok wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
ZeePok wrote: 
The new Preset Manager is now in StiX only?
Yes, but another Xils synthesizer will soon be released with the NPM update, and a couple of units are currently in beta test.

Gradually, all Xils synthesizers and effect line will include NPM.

I guess new development has priority over 'retrofitting' the older synths with NMP?
I'd say 'shared priorities' might be a better term. Both will be completed during the same cycle of development. This will be more clear when new versions are released.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

rob_lee wrote:@LTz

https://www.xils-lab.com/products/stix- ... p-156.html

I have an I-lok how long does the demo version last with StiX ? Do they have sales? €179.00 is quite a lot but this looks cool gonna look for YouTube demos.

Cheers

Rob
Thanks Rob,
You missed the recent sale period, and afics, Xils rarely makes sales.
Ilok demo withoiut any restrictions will run for one month iirc.
There will be a lot more videos, demos & tutorials, more/less soon.

Dillinger wrote:Lotuzia,

I understand your idea for automatic naming, it seems legit. I did not consider the GM compatibility nor the random KIT generator that is based on tags...that makes perfect sense. I am OK with changing the request to what you envisioned. Thank you for listening.

Courious though, do you use a Maschine or Komplete for production? Not that it’s at all important, just wondering how familiar you are with the ecosystem. If done right it seems Stix with its in depth editing capabilities and its sequencing would be the most advanced drum unit on a maschine with nothing else even close.
That is my last plug for that request as I actually only have a vaugh clue as to the labor that would be involved just that it could be awesome. Last plug...seriously...last one.
You're welcomed :)

I only use Maschine software, and I translated recently a Xils 4 official add-on in this format with a few innovative things, like every preset will have custom controls in the first page (i.e the controls that I find the most important, relevant and musical for this preset vs always the same 1rst page regardless of the specific preset) This I hope will add to the pleasure of playing and tweaking them. Then, it's true that I somewhat miss the real hardware experience. If the translations I made have an average success, I think it will be time to invest into an hardware device. I will of course hesitate between a NKS keyboard (more limited access, but more usefull for me, and more interesting for soundsets because of it's limitations, as it probably represents the lowest level of integration of the sw version), and a Maschine unit, more powerfull, and wich, imho, would of course be more suited to control StiX. Then, Maschine one bar cycles doesn't really fit my workflow. Though I understand the specs of the NKS system, it's strenghts and limitations, I think I'll have to dive more on the 'Daw' part of it. I only miss time for this :)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that, at some point , StiX will get an NKS integration. But this requires time to be done in the best possible way.

Don't hesitate to post other requests :)

Hi All, long time. Loving Stix and so excited about the ongoing development.

FR:
The ability to change (or at least decrease) the 'length' of a drum sounds sequencer line to achieve poly-metric rhythm. EG: Kick and Snare patterns over a 4/4 bar with a percussion sound cycling on a 3/4 bar etc...
This combined with the already incredible poly-rhythmic mechanisms will make an incredibly deep instrument even deeper.

On another note, I am wondering how best to achieve library continuity over two computers. Often I start off on my laptop and then move to my main DAW once things start getting serious. If I am going to import user samples on masse, will simply importing all samples on both laptop and desktop achieve preset continuity/reliability between the two systems? I remember there used to be an issue with sample 'IDs' getting mixed up after import ...or something like that - then presets got knackered...Is that all in the past now?

Cheers

Another FR: Sound randomization per instrument, rather than for the whole drumkit, would be really great!

Unqlenol wrote:Hi All, long time. Loving Stix and so excited about the ongoing development.

FR:
The ability to change (or at least decrease) the 'length' of a drum sounds sequencer line to achieve poly-metric rhythm. EG: Kick and Snare patterns over a 4/4 bar with a percussion sound cycling on a 3/4 bar etc...
This combined with the already incredible poly-rhythmic mechanisms will make an incredibly deep instrument even deeper.

On another note, I am wondering how best to achieve library continuity over two computers. Often I start off on my laptop and then move to my main DAW once things start getting serious. If I am going to import user samples on masse, will simply importing all samples on both laptop and desktop achieve preset continuity/reliability between the two systems? I remember there used to be an issue with sample 'IDs' getting mixed up after import ...or something like that - then presets got knackered...Is that all in the past now?

Cheers

Poly-Metric : Were cinsidered from the very beginning. And, from a topology/technical POV, are very very difficult to implement, due to the way StiX was 'organised'. For a time, we even thought it was strictly impossible for these reasons. Now, it seems that it 'could' be possible. But asking for a considerable amount of work. So that : I can't promised it will be done (as it could prove to be in the end impossible, or compromising heavily other StiX features). And if/when it's done, it will certainly take a lot of work/time before it's done, so more for a v2.0. But we'll consider it heavily.

Library continuity, however is already worked on. A complete 'export/import all data' function will be implemented in one of the very next versions. At the moment the method you describe should however work. The best method I think is currently to export/import global presets, wich drumpads inside beeing saved and correctly named.

Cheers, and thanks for the input.

be wrote:Another FR: Sound randomization per instrument, rather than for the whole drumkit, would be really great!
Thanks for your input Be.

Well, I have another more global plan to improve the AI assisted functions wich generate drumkits. Wich totally supports your idea 100%, but among other things. However it's not atm schedulled as top priority, because to operate the function you describe, simply using the individual drumpad arrows will change the drumpad sound in a semi-random way.

But you're right, in a number of situations, if for example you have a few dozens TR-808 snares named SN-808 1 to SN-808 80, the arrows method I'm describing will not give you enough versatile results, because arrows will scroll them in row. So Ok, not in the near future, but we'll certainly consider making a more sophisticated AI engine in the future.

Also another method to have versatile results I'd like to mention, is simply to use StiX New Preset Manager : Choose any multi criterias, or your favorites, and double click on drumpads presets to load them (and maybe double click at random if you like surprises). Change a single criteria, and the list will change. It's another approach, but after I tried it, I found it very, and quickly, rewarding.

Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to the AI improvements.
But what I ment was rather to be able to limit the RAND-button to single sounds or maybe to all not-muted/soloed sounds. This I thought would be rather easy to do and wouldn't require any AI "research" ;)

be wrote:Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to the AI improvements.
But what I ment was rather to be able to limit the RAND-button to single sounds or maybe to all not-muted/soloed sounds. This I thought would be rather easy to do and wouldn't require any AI "research" ;)
Ok. So in this case it's slightly different than shuffle a single sound. What you meant is ' Use the automatic drumkit generation tool while selecting precisely wich pads will be processed by AI, so X chosen drumpads out of the 10 '.

I can certainly see why it would be usefull. And yes, it's exactly what I had in mind (actually my approach is even a bit more sophisticated than that) when I talked of the global plan. And, as you guessed, you must have some added controls on the GUI/UI to achieve that. I did not think of the solution you mention (soloed or muted drumparts), and I'll see if it could be included in the global logic cycle. It has some merits, as it uses already existing GUI controls to select the pads on wich action will be performed. Thanks for the input.

(this said, please note it's not in the high priority list atm, so not for the near future)

Yes, got that :)

Is there any way to break out of the global nature of the envelopes? If 'yes', a practical example would be appreciated.

To elaborate: I would love to be able to set up different amp or filter envelope values per oscillator. Pitch too, but pitch envelope depth is already available per oscillator so pitch worries me less.

The above would allow me to, for example, set up a waveform osc with longer amp env for 'body' and a short snappy amp env on a sample for attack ... or vice versa of course.

Is this doable?

Return to “Instruments”